The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

Fitting a quart into a pint pot is more difficult whilst swimming against the tide, when it turns and the cows are laying down in the field, the job will then go with the flow. :think:

These final developments will get sorted during the next week or three and I can then go to a RWYB event.

I've had plenty of being-patient practice with this project, so it's no great surprise to have some more. :shrug:

There are three more RWYB days before the end of the season, Sat 13th, Sun 21st and Sun 28th Oct, I live local to Santa Pod and can pick a dry day to go and play. :)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi David any chance you could swap a hybrid auto into my motor for 100 quid? jokes ;)

low balls.jpg

I think :think: I need to paint these purple and call them 'Saturn Series Transmissions', then and add a zero to the end of the price and they''ll go like hot cakes. ;)

I haven't managed to cure the rocker-cover leak, it's not top of my job list but will need sorting sooner or later.

Next time the charge-cooler comes off I will give the inside a complete and total monster blathering with RTV, if that doesn't do the business I'll need a custom cover, is that something you could handle?

Maybe I should keep a couple of goldfish in it? ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=158265&d=1348662991

Here's a pic of the 13-row cooler that's not up to the job :shrug:

attachment.php?attachmentid=158269&d=1348663208

I'm running out of space for more tackle up front, so considering tinkering one of these..... :confused:

attachment.php?attachmentid=158268&d=1348662991

by spacing the shroud out a little to fit between the fans and rad :think:

attachment.php?attachmentid=158267&d=1348662991

Random pretty snap :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=158270&d=1348663555

goldfish 002.JPG

fans 004.JPG

trans cooler.JPG

ICV 001.JPG

exhaust 002-001.JPG

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Today I went into town to attend a couple of errands and whilst stopped at the lights, a group of lads ran up to gawk and the ones at the back were still coming after the one at the front had stopped.

This resulted with him going head first into the hole in my bonnet, fortunately no harm came of this misadventure of dick-heads. :shrug:

Then off to top up at the Shell garage and was there detained by a professional photographer for an impromptu voluntary photo shoot on the forecourt. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=158316&d=1348779687

attachment.php?attachmentid=158317&d=1348779687

I shall be glad when I get Mad Max filled in. :think:

I did later manage some tinkering and found it's the pulley-mount that's twisted not the shaft, it's on the wonk by 40 thou and by rights should be an easier job than swapping the nose, yet with no alternative transport, the unpredictability of the Engineer and random access to the press and tools, the logistics of removing it to be refaced or copied then replaced are so complicated, it'll be easier to buy another from the U.S. :shrug:

Whilst at it, I have swapped in another distributor with a good Crank Position Sensor and had a good look at the new idler-pulley bracket job.

There are few mounting options or much space and it will be a challenge to fabricate, I will need a full days access to the workshop for this and won't know when this can be until the cows are laying down in the field on a day when it's not raining. :shrug:

attachment.php?attachmentid=158318&d=1348779687

Shell 001.JPG

Shell 003.JPG

Shell 009.JPG

This job can only be done at the workshop when I can get access on a fine day and the fibreglass products I ordered a week ago have not yet arrived.

I am going to polish up the back of the bonnet I spent 4 days stripping and use it as a mould to cast the shape to glass in.

There are many jobs to do and each is as important as the other, I can only go with the flow and attend to them one at a time.

Love how are your pictures are of people looking at your car.

Was nice to chat to you today about auto boxes and aftermarket supra parts

Good to chat with you too. :)

I didn't get a chance to take a pic of it without gawkers. :shrug:

I was quizzed so much by so many, with all the shouting required to converse over the din of the day, my voice has died. :(

Of the many odds and sods ordered to get on with the jobs to hand, so far, either wrong items have been sent or they haven't been sent at all, so I've taken out my frustrations on the suspension.

I've had a full set of new OE wishbones, arms and rods for some time, so have swapped them in.

The local Tyre Garage owed me a favour and setting up the geometry for me was the reward, it'll give the bushes a chance to settle in before C.W. does a proper job.

The components removed have recently passed the MOT and on inspection they all look perfectly O.K, yet the difference this has made to the ride and handling is amazing.

Quieter, taught-er, straighter with better steering response and far more predictable at both ends, even the brakes function better, it's like driving a new Supra.

Are you opening some sort of convalescence home home for crippled superchargers? How many have you got now? :) I have not been able to follow every facet of the thread, what's been happening to the others, had they ingested shrapnel or something?

It's starting to look that way and I have a good collection of different length belts and different size pulleys and different pulleys and lots of many alternative 'things'.

Charger 1: Brand new, died from ICV ingestion.

Charger 2: Breaker sourced, declared dead on arrival.

Charger 3: Breaker sourced, declared enough life in it to use to get the conversion up and running.

Charger 4: Brand spanker, to be made ready for the return to the rollers.

How hard would it be to insall a charger onto an NA-T conversion? A smaller turbo than the usual T61 and one of these would definitely be pretty awesome

I promise you it won't be needing a turbo to be pretty awesome, you'll soon see when these last little jobs are jobbed.

The route I chose was how I wanted it to be and not the simplest way.

I didn't want a conversion that looked like the plumbing under my Grannies sink.

The easiest way would be to use an OE charger installation from a 1G-GZE and convert it to fit.

Plenty of them in OZ going for $2-300.

If anyone takes that route, I also have a brand new 180 amp 7M-GTE alternator and brackets.

attachment.php?attachmentid=158970&d=1349960793

1G-GZE.jpg

You must have the same dogged determination that I do. Get it working fella!

Out of interest, what does a new charger set one back?

Getting this contraption up to it's full potential is undergoing final developments, no-one said it would be easy.

It's not just the charger, a lot of the car's functions are prototype and it's my only car and daily-driver, the second belt is still going fine and other than an intermittent mystery Crank Position Sensor blip and a sticky-solenoid in the transmission, all is reliably Supercharging and Flappy-Paddling me around with a big grin permanently on my face.

The final tweaks involve fitting a Peugeot cam-belt idler-bearing to increase belt wrap and to replace the wonky supercharger-pulley hub.

This I'm sure would let it pull the 15lb pulley, yet the 4" pulley has been running on the wonk and is not as pristine as it needs to be.

The plan is to run the new charger with the new 4.2" 13lb pulley I have to get reliable boost and have it set up properly.

I had a flirt with 10lbs and I'm sure that 13lbs will be fun enough to play with during the winter, I can then tinker it up some more when I'm feeling brave enough.

I also need to sort out the transmission valve-body sticky-solenoid and rebuild the exhaust because that was damaged during the tow of shame.

I have been waiting for a new charger to come up at the right price, it was £450 inc P&P, the first new one was £300 + P&P, the second and third combined were £135 inc P&P.

New from Jaguar is rumoured to be around £4k and then probably VAT too.