The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

Today I claim the first kill. :)

Leaving Kettering in the direction of Corby there's a set of lights then dual carriageway, it's the town drag strip.

No-one to play with :shrug: so trundle off like a granny up to around 40mph then from nowhere, a Scooby appeared on my right and gave me the nod.

Click-POW gone in a cloud of smoke.

Game over. :rlol:

Edited by David P (see edit history)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the instantness of the power and noise, from nowhere to gone where? :think:

I'm having to change-up @ 4.5k @ 8lbs to avoid smoking the belt, when I have this under control it'll then be proper fast.

After road testing it and sleeping on it, I've come up with a cunning plan to achieve this. :)

Now I can see in the real World what the current pulley belt arrangement can manage, I can see how to improve it.

I'm sure I can get it up to 12 or maybe even 15lbs on the 6-rib belt by re-jigging an idler pulley.

I have already been and raided the scrap bins at the local Steel Merchant and Engineers, now itching for Bob to get home and unlock the Workshop.

I know the feeling, I am currently sat up with a few injuries which mean i cant work on the car. and parts just sitting in the shed itching to be fitted :(

Are you planning on increasing the tension or get more of the belt round the pulley ? have you thought about a toothed belt conversion , i know the VW boys with G40's and G60's sometimes do this.

Upping the tension makes not a lot of difference and a toothed belt is not part of this equation.

Using the 4" 15lb pulley.

Stock tension = 6lbs.

Stock tension + 20kg = 8lbs.

The little mounting bolts into the oil pump casting holding the bottom tensioner bracket won't take any more.

Going to fabricate the trickiest bracket yet, :confused: to get an idler up close and friendly with the supercharger pulley and max the wrap.

Making this an adjustable fixing will allow max wrap on any size pulley.

I think maybe it'll need a sky hook or two? :think:

From what it is now to what I can make it be. :think:

I've been doing my sums on the back of a fag packet and with a safety margin, I reckon the best I'll get out of a 6-rib belt is a reliable 13psi on a 4.2" pulley. :confused:

Compared to now, that'll give a little more traction off the line and lots more power at the top. :senile:

That'll do me. :)

However, I can't really calculate future performance from a bent-shaft base-number, so I'll try it at 15psi first and see what happens, because there's not enough room on my fag packet to work that out. :shrug:

Congrats david! Make sure you bring it over once you have sorted the gremlins! Would like to see what it feels like..:D

Today I've been for a rout-le through Keron's stash of Supra Treasures and found a few trinkets to play with.

Whilst I was there, :eyebrows: he has now seen what Warp factor 2 feels like, before the last of the Gremlins have been evicted. ;)

Upping the tension makes not a lot of difference and a toothed belt is not part of this equation.

Using the 4" 15lb pulley. Stock tension = 6lbs. Stock tension + 20kg = 8lbs.

The little mounting bolts into the oil pump casting holding the bottom tensioner bracket won't take any more. Going to fabricate the trickiest bracket yet, to get an idler up close and friendly with the supercharger pulley and max the wrap. Making this an adjustable fixing will allow max wrap on any size pulley...

To make the belt wrap more, perhaps you could use two idlers to pinch the two runs of the belt together. No need for a tensioner, less force on the bracket.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157943&d=1348177199

Kingsclere_Convertible1B.jpg

Thank's for the pic. :thumbs:

I have considered twin pinch idlers yet going with one, up close and friendly with the charger pulley which will give the maximum wrap.

The challenging part of the job will be making a bracket to locate it. :think:

I have today been informed that Bob has extended his holiday and I can't get into the Workshop until Tuesday. :looney:

I had the pleasure of being taken for a quick spin yesterday.... must say im very impressed with the power delivery. i drive these all day everyday and i must say that it feels on par with tt's and bpu tts....if not faster....hoping to see this finished and on the strip at pod on the 30th....try and line up against a tt or bpu to see what the differences are...hope you get the last few bits sorted....

Well worth the wait...has taken a long time but well worth it...:D

Thats love, putting your coat on your engine to keep it dry.

It's seen worse and better too, but best not tell those tales here. :think:

careful what pictures you put up dave putting a picture camoflarge jacket on a engine could be see as act of war or something you just never know

I missed the demise of that one, probably just as well, :shrug: I was out in the rain making it better just enough, to go for a pint and fetch some fish and chips.

Had to be gentle with the clitoris pedal in the wet, snow is going to be fun. :)

The weather was kind today, allowing a good day's tinkering and I've tidied up a load of little jobs. :)

The car now has stealth squirter's and the bonnet is a perfect fit, the pipe runs are all tidy and I've made up and fitted a re-routed H.T. king lead to make space for the new idler bracket and the bay wiring is finalised except for the water/meth and HHO wires in the corner of the bulk-head.

Found the air leak at last, the water/meth injection nozzle swively bits needed a nip. :)

That leaves just three Gremlins to evict.

Supercharger nose swap and distributor swap will be simple enough, but the new idler-bracket will be a challenge. :confused:

I can't get in the Workshop, :( but I can get at the Workshop and my Supra Treasures are stashed outside. :)

Applying middle of the field technology, with the tools in the back of my supercharged Supra van, I have rebuilt a straight nose and prepared a distributor. :)

Autopsy of the brand new supercharger one carnage

attachment.php?attachmentid=158049&d=1348403569

attachment.php?attachmentid=158050&d=1348403569

Recycled as a shaft removal jig :shrug:

attachment.php?attachmentid=158051&d=1348403569

attachment.php?attachmentid=158052&d=1348403569

A piece of hard-wood and a clump or two with a lump-hammer later and it looks like the :limp: bent new one got hot :think:

attachment.php?attachmentid=158053&d=1348403569

The straight shaft from old charger two gets a new home with younger friends from charger one :grouphug:

attachment.php?attachmentid=158054&d=1348403595

Supercharger three, Old Rudolf, ;) is to get a shiny nose and the replacement distributor has a new threaded hole to match the 4Runner cap :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=158055&d=1348403595

The oil in the new charger was 'sweet' but the stuff from the old one stinks enough to pole-axe you :fart:

attachment.php?attachmentid=158056&d=1348403595

Job jobbed and both ready for swapping in, just before the next deluge and in time to go for a pint of ale and Sunday roast. :)

I hope I didn't get any of that stuff on my trousers? :think:

charger nose 001.JPG

charger nose 003.JPG

charger nose 004.jpg

charger nose 005.JPG

charger nose 006.JPG

charger nose 008.JPG

charger nose 009.JPG

charger nose 010.JPG

Having experienced a blat up the road in Davids car I can vouch for how well it pulls. When the boost is increased it will be a beast.

David, I did warn you that the oil stank, I am guessing the oil in your original charger was not as tired and smelly.

Oh, and you were right. After 3 hours of dicking about, the manual boost controller is back in :(

I could see the writing on the wall for that tat boost controller. :D

The blat went quite well considering I don't have first gear at the mo?

I think the Throttle Position Sensor voltage has settled in a bit causing the Suprastick to ignore first gear. :shrug:

I hope you can find an old laptop with Windows 98 and Hyperterminal because it's a wind-up having to go and bother Steve every time a button needs pressing.

Today I planned a visit to an Engineer or two to get a 5 minute job done and another to the aluminium welder as final preparations for tomorrows long-awaited access to the Workshop, but it's raining so hard I'm not sure I dare drive anywhere with the sun-roof bonnet? :shrug:

Tuesday and Wednesday is not as bad, but is forecast to be too wet and windy to work on it outside. :(

Cinderella will be lucky to run at the Jap Show Finale Ball now. :badmood:

I have the final components ready for installation and even prepared some of the new idler bracket pieces, but Bob's 3 weeks holiday, that became extended to 3 1/2 weeks, then extended again by a few days more, has been extended again because he's now stranded in France by the Brittany Ferries strike. :shrug:

Furthermore, it appears that one ten-row oil cooler wasn't enough for the transmission, which has resulted with a sticky actuator, I have another box built up ready, but Bob's lift is buried under a non-rolling shell and the hydraulics had died and spilled onto the workshop floor just before he went away anyway. :shrug:

Furthermore, ebay have lost my paypal payment for the Windows98 laptop I've just bought to talk to the Suprastick. :shrug:

Finally, the coup de grat is Dan can't fit me in on Friday either. :shrug:

I have explored every option available to me and also a few that are not and there's no way I can find to be ready to run the car at Jap Show Finale. :shrug:

Where's my Fairy God Mother when I needed her. :shrug:

It's a disappointment. :shrug:

Yet having just driven to collect the final bits and pieces has reminded me that with a supercharged Supra, every day's a good day. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

The car will be at the Show on Sunday, but as an object to be gawked at only. :shrug: