The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

...which are in an envelope on the passenger seat of my M3 because the post orifice shuts whenever it likes, it would seem!

They're good at that.

Cheers. :thumbs:

Bonnet looks good mate.

I'm chuffed with the new lid and pleased to have Mad Max out of my life.

It's nice to be able to park without fear of tinkerers and I can stop worrying about dick-heads falling into the hole.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have pruned the supercharger casting here and there, :think: to fit here and there and swapped the pulley for a quick-change hub.

Mr Eaton didn't want to lose this one, :shrug: Bob's press @ full-grunt and blow-lamp heat-assisted attempt failed. :(

Plan B.

Special privilege at Corby Mitsubishi Main Dealer, thank you, for access to their, Take no Prisoners Bad Boy, during the Workshop lunch-break. :)

The O.E. fit pulley shown, cracked-off like a .22 round and the new hub pressed on sweetly.

attachment.php?attachmentid=159855&d=1351545228

charger 4 ready 005.JPG

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Has the postman found your house with those studs yet Mr P?

No studs have arrived here yet. :shrug:

I let a pal of mine spend a day attacking the charger with his 3-phase and pneumatic powered mops and due to the weather preventing me fitting it this weekend, I have spent another day polishing the crooks and nannies by hand.

I hope Homer is right. ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=160158&d=1352032820

loving the winter tyres

They're Pirelli Sottozero 285 40 18's and a tad wider at the shoulder than the Michelin Pilot Sport 285 40's, so needed to prune a little from the arch trim to clear.

charger 4 polished 001.JPG

The studs have arrived. :)

Thank you Ben. :thumbs:

I've also found perfect-sized washers to shim the front mounts and it's ready to roll.

attachment.php?attachmentid=160204&d=1352127600

I've also resolved the Hyperterminal issue. :)

It has taken a while to work it out, but after telling the start-up a couple of 'alternative settings', this standalone version works fine with the Vista OS.

Thank you Shane. :thumbs:

That's two more 'niggling' jobs off the list. :)

studs 003.JPG

Ben, The shoulders on your studs were a mm or two longer than on previous and the nut would only clamp down to 7mm, so I have countersunk the hole by a couple of mm to make them clamp onto the 6mm plate bracket.

Here's a pic of the studs thread-locked in and fitted with new nuts before the charger was mounted, because you'll never see them again.

attachment.php?attachmentid=160505&d=1352660067

The new supercharger with new hub is fitted. :)

There's no rotor chatter and the whine means more business. :) :)

Running the tired 4" pulley and continuing on with belt no. 2, it now boosts to 12lbs. :) :) :)

On my way home, the roads were busy and damp, so not much chance to play. :(

There's definitely a few bucketfuls of grunt more and I'm amazed at the traction with winter tyres. :) :)

The AFR continues a steady 12:1 @ 12lbs, so I'll be able to keep my eyes on the road when the opportunity comes along. :innocent:

attachment.php?attachmentid=160510&d=1352665147

new charger on 003.JPG

new charger on 009-001.JPG

Glad they did the job though! 12lbs is gonna be a monster if 10 was anything to go by.

If you can work out a rough price to copy your design to my car, I'd interested in testing it out on a 6speed :eyebrows:

Let me finish this job first, more lbs :think: more pounds. ;)

I doubt very much a manual gearbox could lay down the torque to be of much use on the road, would be great for drifting though.

After I have fixed the sticky solenoid in the transmission and dicky gear-display lights, using my new camera-mount I will make a vid-clip showing how the gearbox works.

Can't wait to see a new video, David. Sounds like its going to be buckets for torque-ridden fun.

Remap soon for more boost?

There's a lot to be done yet before a re-map so I'm pleased the current map is happy with the extra boost.

Even though I've only played a little bit, it's a tarmac-tearing thrust-monster, with great respect, feed the pedal on the right and the laws of physics bend before your very own ears, eyes and sphincter, it's awesome. :)

Next I'll change the throttle-body for another modified to create space to mount the new idler-bracket, then it'll be ready to map @ 15lbs.

There's a lot to be done yet before the re-map so I'm pleased that the current map is happy with the extra boost.

Very risky running more boost without a remap, There is more to it than just AFR's, it can still det even if the AFR's look fine.

The only saving grace is NA lumps can be picked up for peanuts.

To build the new idler-bracket, I need to get at the front supercharger-mount, which is a bolt threaded through the 6mm plate.

To create space required, I've modified another 1UZ-FE throttle-body to fit, this time with the vacuum take-offs :think: taken off, they were in the way and I don't use or need them. :shrug:

This one is from a LHD which has ramps that function exactly as I need, with two brass hose-tails fitted I've finalised the AICV, oil-breather, PAS throttle-up and HHO plumbing, also adding cruise-control into the equation.

attachment.php?attachmentid=160633&d=1352828998

A final reorganise of HT leads and loom and now the dog can see the rabbit. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=160634&d=1352828998

NEW TB 003.JPG

NEW TB 002.JPG

I've recalibrated the AEM and Suprastick ECU's to match the new Throttle Position Sensor and all works as it should. :)

This new throttle-body however, doesn't whistle like the old one and I miss the old wolf-whistle trick. :(

The sound of the new supercharger makes up for it though, it makes other drivers nervous and they pull over out of the way. :)

Maybe I should edit the 'Supra' badge to read 'Stuka'. :think:

Videos coming soon, David?

I'm holding off on the videos until my pulleys are straight. :shrug:

The modified valve-body hasn't turned up yet, so 1st to 2nd change is still slow and I don't want to be boosting long pulls past 8psi before a remap.

The new idler-bracket needs building and a belt sorted, the exhaust has a loose baffle and needs rebuilding, then install the MF2 ECU and twin-pump upgrade to the water/meth system.

After a remap @ 15psi with the mappable water/meth system, then I'll make some vids. :eyebrows: