The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bead rolling intercooler pipes! What you think??

Davey001

Hey guys after my post last week about having so much trouble with intercooler pipes blowing off I have managed to get my hands on a pro bead roller. After all the comments about ways to stop them blowing off under pressure I thought it was time to take action. It just arrived today and the results are pretty good for a first attempt. Let me know what you think!!! :D

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Edited by Davey001 (see edit history)

I looked into getting one of those tools but was put off by the high price, so use a ball bearing welded on to pliers. The pipes don't look pretty but they don't blow.

Yeah I seen alot of threads about that on google. Not a bad idea really!! I was that sick of them blowing off just had to get it sorted!! Maybe I will do a few of my mates for a small charge to get abit of cash back on the roller!!

Did most of my pipes today, all came out pretty good. All back on now and took it for a run tested to around 7psi and not one blew off. Mission accomplished!The car has so much more power and response now everything is tight and sealed. I have posted some more pictures to show some of the pipes I did today.

Proper tool = proper job. Nice one! For the really tight *astards out there you can try cleaning the bore of the rubber / silicone hose and the metal pipe stub with brake cleaner until they are totally grease free, then spray both with firm set hair spray and immediately assemble and tighten. Has saved many the day under race conditions, but it's a bit Heath Robinson :) I remember being at Donington years ago and rushing round the paddock asking women if they had any hair spray with them. I nearly got arrested when I moved onto well coiffured young men, but needless to say, in modern times, it was some young long haired blade who eventually came up with the goods ;)

Proper tool = proper job. Nice one! For the really tight *astards out there you can try cleaning the bore of the rubber / silicone hose and the metal pipe stub with brake cleaner until they are totally grease free, then spray both with firm set hair spray and immediately assemble and tighten. Has saved many the day under race conditions, but it's a bit Heath Robinson :) I remember being at Donington years ago and rushing round the paddock asking women if they had any hair spray with them. I nearly got arrested when I moved onto well coiffured young men, but needless to say, in modern times, it was some young long haired blade who eventually came up with the goods ;)

Never heard that one before! Sounds like it could really work tho. :)