The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Alloy Wheels - 17" or 18" - 10.5" or 11" Wide Rear

dandan

With my new found wall of mid range torque I am struggling for grip a little with my 285/35/18 tyres and would like to track down and try something wider.

I'm thinking that a 295/35/18 (not a 295/30/18) may be enough to get me some decent grip in 3rd gear and above so I'm after some wheels that go to about 10.5" or 11" wide at the back with a 45-50mm offset. I suppose the front would want to be about 9" wide with about a 40mm offset.

Anyone got anything they're looking to sell? I'd be happy to try some 17's as well but still need at least 10.5" at the rear.

Cheers

Dan

I think you're right. I've got two sets with 9.5" rears and one with 10's but I don't really want a 295/35 on the 10".

Did you pursue the wheel widening any further?

I know what you mean but it depends on tyres, "r" tyres always seem to come up a bit skinney compared to something like a michelin pilot sport, Whifbits cars run 295 R888's on 10" rims.

Is the idea of going 35 profile over 30 for grip or comfort? 35 profile will give better straight line grip over a 30 profile but 35 dont seem widely available in sticky tyres.

The 35 is for grip, comfort went out the window a little bit when I fitted the Titan anti roll bars.

I have been running a 275/35 on a 9.5 for the past year or so and I just lived with the lack of grip in 2nd and 3rd gear - 4th was always ok in the dry. About two weeks ago I changed to a 285/35 on a 10" and gained some grip in 3rd gear which is nice but after the remap the other day I am back to square one! I'm thinking and hoping a 295/35 in a normal tyre might be enough to restore some grip in 3rd....I figured I was being greedy wanting to give it 100% in 2nd but perhaps I should set my sights higher :D

What I would really like is a normal 315 tyre (315/30/18 Pilot Sport PS2 is available at sensible cost) on a 17" or 18" rim at something like 11" wide but there's no wheels around. The next step down the compromise list is a 295/35 on a 10.5" but maybe I'd be selling myself short there :shrug:

Ive been through all this trying to get good grip, im there at last.

I found the PS2 very hard and didnt give me great grip, they do come up wide, i had 315/30/18 on a 12" wheel and they never looked stretched at all, with the right tyres you will get the power down, with my treaded avon tyres i can lay down 800ftlb in 2nd gear but they are not strictly road legal.;) You cant go wrong with R888's but not a great winter tyre, i have gone in the middle now, Toyo RA-1 in 335/30/18 and they seem a good compromise to everything for me, they give great grip and are a full treaded tyre.

The 35 is for grip, comfort went out the window a little bit when I fitted the Titan anti roll bars.

I have been running a 275/35 on a 9.5 for the past year or so and I just lived with the lack of grip in 2nd and 3rd gear - 4th was always ok in the dry. About two weeks ago I changed to a 285/35 on a 10" and gained some grip in 3rd gear which is nice but after the remap the other day I am back to square one! I'm thinking and hoping a 295/35 in a normal tyre might be enough to restore some grip in 3rd....I figured I was being greedy wanting to give it 100% in 2nd but perhaps I should set my sights higher :D

What I would really like is a normal 315 tyre (315/30/18 Pilot Sport PS2 is available at sensible cost) on a 17" or 18" rim at something like 11" wide but there's no wheels around. The next step down the compromise list is a 295/35 on a 10.5" but maybe I'd be selling myself short there :shrug:

mate i "might" be selling my 295/30/18 R888's shortly, they are used but still got loadsa life in them and might help you decide if a 295 will do the job ;)

Ive been through all this trying to get good grip, im there at last.

I found the PS2 very hard and didnt give me great grip, they do come up wide, i had 315/30/18 on a 12" wheel and they never looked stretched at all, with the right tyres you will get the power down, with my treaded avon tyres i can lay down 800ftlb in 2nd gear but they are not strictly road legal.;) You cant go wrong with R888's but not a great winter tyre, i have gone in the middle now, Toyo RA-1 in 335/30/18 and they seem a good compromise to everything for me, they give great grip and are a full treaded tyre.

What sort of spec were you at when you tried the 315 PS2's? Were you pushing loads more than my 621fwhp and 590lb.ft...... I'm wondering if they might be good enough for me? Surely they've got to be a big step up from my 285 Rossos. The Avons sound great but I think something like the R888 or RA1 would be as extreme as I'd go on the road. Where did you get your RA1's from?

Did you ever come across anyone that sells 315's for a 17" rim anywhere?

mate i "might" be selling my 295/30/18 R888's shortly, they are used but still got loadsa life in them and might help you decide if a 295 will do the job ;)

Thanks James, I might well take you up on that mate. Are these the ones I narrowly mssed out on from someone here a few months back? :)

PS2's I was same spec, 900bhp 800ftlb, they never gripped as well as the 285/30/18 R888's I had on previously.

I got my RA-1's from my contact at Prodrive.

I never looked for much in 17", the MT street radials i had in 275/40/17 gave superb grip.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.