The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tax law on new saab.

nevins

Now I have not had a rant for a while, but just heard an advert on the radio for the new eco saab. They are saying that due to their low emission they are exempt for the 1st year then stupidly low for then after.

Now this really piss's me off, It has a 1.9tdi in it, so what if it has a low emission out put, it still weighs the same as most cars, so it wears the road as do all vehicles. Now the government say that the road tax is high to maintain the roads yadda yadda yadda.

So why the hell do these eco warriors who do the same wear and tear on the roads in the uk get off with paying sod all road tax and we get lumbered with high tax brackets. Its a bloody joke if you ask me. For some reason this really hit the spot to wind me up.

So my question for you lot is as follows.

What are your views on this new gimmick to sell eco cars and whether you think its fair?

More tax equals betterer environments innit? The government use the eco-tax to buy big scrubbing brushes that they use to clean the environment, or something. Maybe with special soap.

All I want to know is, when it is finally proved that C02 has no effect on global warming, will I be getting a full rebate of all the tax I have paid for my C02 "emissions"?

More tax equals betterer environments innit? The government use the eco-tax to buy big scrubbing brushes that they use to clean the environment, or something. Maybe with special soap.

All I want to know is, when it is finally proved that C02 has no effect on global warming, will I be getting a full rebate of all the tax I have paid for my C02 "emissions"?

Now thats what I like, tax rebates all round. How about the other countries give us some cash for a change

What exactly is the problem? They need to get rid of fuel burners and shift us all into Eco friendly cars as the technology becomes better and more affordable. Once they get rid of all the petrol and diesel cars and start charging more for the Eco cars then they will get their money back and probably more.

The fact that they all use the same roads is a small annomaly in the big picture and although hypoctitical it won't stop the movement in this direction.

Also, since when has road tax ever been about roads? Have youy seen many roads around Wigan recently? It's like a driving accross an egg box...!!

OIL,OIL,OIL!, thats is the problem, not long ago UK was a net exporter of oil , now we consume far more than we export ,and its running out /getting more expensive to extract .

The Eco Warriors were in fact correct on this front , IF consumption keeps growing and it is ,we are in the shit . Tax is used to push people into more oil saving technology ,I fully expect within 5 years electric cars to dominate over petrol/derv cars , with a growing share of hybrid in between .

After xmas petrol is going up 9% , and more due to the recent increase in oil (due QE) Expect $200 a barrel within 2 years and a doubling of both petrol and tax on petrol , At the moment there is no duty on Jet fuel ,if it were taxed as Derv then you trip to Malaga will cost £1500 each person , that is going to happen if consumption keeps climbing .....

For the time being fill up that single turbo car and enjoy every minute .....

At least the government is doing something to encourage "eco-friendly" purchases. We need more incentives like this not less - better grants for wind/solar etc so even a small step is a step in the right direction IMO.

Exactly. The alternative is for the government to use the 'big stick' approach only. Then they would increase even more the road tax for higher polluting cars, but still charge, say £235 a year for 'eco-friendly' (that should really say 'slightly less eco-damaging') cars. But if they did that, there really wouldn't be much of an incentive for people to make a change. At least we're being offered an reward and not a punishment to help clean things up.

Where do the eco-electric-friendly pushers think the electricity comes from to charge up thier cars, they are not as "friendly" as they would have you believe. If there were to be a large increase in the near future the "System" would not be able to cope.

If the government were serious about eco-transport they should start with thier own house first and then look at company cars.

Where do the eco-electric-friendly pushers think the electricity comes from to charge up thier cars, they are not as "friendly" as they would have you believe. If there were to be a large increase in the near future the "System" would not be able to cope.

If the government were serious about eco-transport they should start with thier own house first and then look at company cars.

We're discussing the new Saab, its not electric, its diesel so they are rewarding the low emissions. I agree the government can do more, but why criticise even a small step if its in the right direction. And as for your electric car statement, you're right its not as eco-friendly when you examine the supply chain, but thats not necessarily the main driver, its about reducing our need for oil. The government will be providing grants up to 5k when you buy (still expensive) electric cars.

Also, the government is looking internally as well but we would be the first to shout if they put us in even more debt by making wholesale changes. They are making low cost small changes - for instance they've just signed a new contact with HP charging HP with the challenge of reducing power/energy costs of IT.

I still think its a joke, how many dervs do you see that were low emissions when first bought, but then 4 years down the line start having problems with leaky injectors faulty pumps and worn turbos, chucking smoke out like its going extinct. Low emissions when new yeah but they dont take into account wear and tear of the said engines.

I still think its a joke, how many dervs do you see that were low emissions when first bought, but then 4 years down the line start having problems with leaky injectors faulty pumps and worn turbos, chucking smoke out like its going extinct. Low emissions when new yeah but they dont take into account wear and tear of the said engines.

Improving though as more people buy them (perhaps due in part to lower tax), the BMW diesel engine for instance is superb and likely better performance and economy than equivalent petrol engines. Its easy to point and dismiss, less easy to suggest improvements. If people didn't buy diesels, there would be no money/no market for development.