The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Odds on winning the Lotto with 2 tickets

Matt H

Well if you dont care about money and are able to just throw it away, even as little as £1 a week thats fine, but you will never win the lottery - if you do ill eat my hat ;)

I certainly have £1 a week available in my monthly budget! :D

Why not? I probably won't, but I might. Someone has to walk away with the money - the amount of people playing suggests that the chances are the jackpot will be won each week. Although it is becoming less popular as time goes by.

I've know quite a few people to win a substantial amount on the lottery - no jackpot winners, but decent, life changing amounts nonetheless.

It's better to be in it and lose, than not be in it and your works syndicate scopes the Jacky and you the only tW&t going into work on Mon morning!! :D

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funnily enough this isn't the first time I have seen you write virtually a carbon copy of what I have a matter of hours/days after I have written it.

It's strange that you didn't come to this conclusion yesterday, or mention your findings when you were explaining how you understood it. It's also strange that you decided to edit your first post, to make it sound like you were playing devils advocate after you had your side of the argument confirmed. Of course only the mods will be able to check that for sure.

No, wait. did I say strange? I meant typical, obvious and predictable ;)

I'm surpised you've continued this on. I know you're a dilusional fellow, but wow - you're verging on dementia. How old are you?

My edit appeared 3mins after the intial post! I don't remember what it was for, but most likely some generic house keeping after re-reading it and seeing a mistake.

What's the point in me coming on here and producing a thread simply stating this is the odds of winning the lottery with 2 tickets? - Yeah, that would be a good thread.

I think you seriously need to give your head a shake and move on chap, you're appearing desperate.

Well if you dont care about money and are able to just throw it away, even as little as £1 a week thats fine, but you will never win the lottery - if you do ill eat my hat ;)

Personally i find it a waste of money, but everyone has a different opinion of course.

For e.g. my mum, both nan's and cousin have been doing the lottery for the last 30 years. They have never won. So thats 4 tickets a week £4 which is £208 a year and £6,240 over 30 years. A waste of money as i said.

What lottery have they been doing for 30 years?

I'm surpised you've continued this on. I know you're a dilusional fellow, but wow - you're verging on dementia. How old are you?

My edit appeared 3mins after the intial post! I don't remember what it was for, but most likely some generic house keeping after re-reading it and seeing a mistake.

What's the point in me coming on here and producing a thread simply stating this is the odds of winning the lottery with 2 tickets? - Yeah, that would be a good thread.

I think you seriously need to give your head a shake and move on chap, you're appearing desperate.

I'm bored, you have your answer. Now go and tell your collegues how you thought about it for a day and now have an argument to back up your thoughts.

Well done Matt, it appears you had the brains allll along.

The Lotto is twice a week anyway, so if you buy a ticket for both draws your odds become 7m to 1 multiplied by 2, giving 14m to 1 across 2 draws, each with 6 balls, so 12 balls, so 1.16m to 1, multiplied by 49, divided by (14/12)........... you still won't win OK!

I don't think it is mate, I think that runs into accumalative odds territory, which makes things much, much harder (odds much higher)

I'm bored, you have your answer. Now go and tell your collegues how you thought about it for a day and now have an argument to back up your thoughts.

Well done Matt, it appears you had the brains allll along.

The conversation happened a week ago Fri in the pub - it was bottomed out then. It was theleaving do for the poor chap that lost his job out of the two of us (you might remember the thread - it was the one where I copied that fact that you had been in a similar situation at work and wanted to pretend it was actually me in that situation). His leaving gift was a boat load of lottery tickets (some Euro) that's why the conversation got started.

Regardless, you're defo the most cleverestest person evar. Most people that shout that out to others tend to have something to prove, but not you :)

In the most simplistic fashion, the odds and the probability are different by 1. The odds are 13999999 to 1 and the probability is 1 in 14000000.

Odds is taken as against, probability is taken as in.

1 in 14000000 chances = probability

1 against 13999999 chances = odds

The underlined bit is only true if you only buy a single ticket, is that correct?

The underlined bit is only true if you only buy a single ticket, is that correct?

Not really, but I think I know where you are coming from. 2 tickets = difference of 2.

Odds on 2 tickets would be 2 to 13999998 or 1 to 6999999

Probability would be 2 in 14000000.

For every 7 million permutations you have 1 chance of getting it right.

Again, this is in it's very basic form. In this form odds and probability are virtually the same thing. They are based on one draw.

Funnily enough this isn't the first time I have seen you write virtually a carbon copy of what I have a matter of hours/days after I have written it.

I've read and re-read what you've both said against each other. They're not the same - there are similarities, is that because you both have the same answer?

I've read and re-read what you've both said against each other. They're not the same - there are similarities, is that because you both have the same answer?

Really? You care?

Who are you.... etc :D

Edit: I apologise Matt, I was skimming. Charlotte is spot on. What you spouted is a complete load of nonsense.

ibtl?

I'd prefer not to :)

But I still haven't learnt if you buy two lottery tickets, will it take off? :(

Ok, it will take off if you buy a Wednesday ticket.

If you buy a Saturday ticket, it will not take off.

But what happens when a Friday Euromillions line is purchased?