The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Odds on winning the Lotto with 2 tickets

Matt H

've thought about this before aswell. If you bought all possible combinations (14 million) then surely 1 person putting that amount of money would substantially increase the jackpot anyway? Also you would not just win the jackpot, but also win 5 numbers and the bonus ball 6 times, 5 numbers x amount of times etc... I wonder how much you would actually recieve from all the other winning combinations?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

've thought about this before aswell. If you bought all possible combinations (14 million) then surely 1 person putting that amount of money would substantially increase the jackpot anyway? Also you would not just win the jackpot, but also win 5 numbers and the bonus ball 6 times, 5 numbers x amount of times etc... I wonder how much you would actually recieve from all the other winning combinations?

And to start with, the Jackpot has to be worth over £14 million, and hopefully 4 or 5 other people don't come up with the winning line too :)

Apparently, 50% of the £1 your ticket cost goes into the prize fund. The rest is overheads, taxes and the good cause fund.

So you'd bulk up the prize fund by ~£7m, which would in turn further increase the prize fund due to the ticket sales buzz a larger than normal jackpot fund (like a rollover) generates.

You'd win loads on other prizes too; the amount of tenners you'd come away with would be unreal! :D

You'd win loads on other prizes too; the amount of tenners you'd come away with would be unreal! :D

That'd only be approx 700 combinations - so £7k in £10 wins.

Of course you'd win the other combinations quite a bit too, 4 numbers, 5 numbers, 5+ bonus etc. But again as the prize pot is fixed for the larger prizes you'd just be getting a decent percentage of them, rather that a multiple.

That'd only be approx 700 combinations - so £7k in £10 wins.

Of course you'd win the other combinations quite a bit too, 4 numbers, 5 numbers, 5+ bonus etc. But again as the prize pot is fixed for the larger prizes you'd just be getting a decent percentage of them, rather that a multiple.

Thinking about it more, I doubt having every ticket would reduce the prize for the jackpot that much anyway, as there's only 6 numbers that come out, and the commision must bank of a certain cut each week anyway.

This is a good site and explains the division of each side of the equation a lot. i.e 2/14 = 1/7

http://www.murderousmaths.co.uk/books/bkmm6xlo.htm

I thought this is basic maths? :blink:

Anyway, buying more tickets increasings your odds/chances to win but it doesn't affect the probability of winning the lottery.

Good read here!

In a nutshell, in the end of the day its all down to this thing called luck! A mathematical anomaly.

Ah - so with one ticket your chances are 1 in 14,000,000, but with two tickets your chances are 1 in 13,999,999, right? You have the same chance of winning on each ticket, but the second ticket represents one less number combination from the winning pool (if you factor in only going for the big prize, assume it's not going to be shared, and some other stuff). You have to calculate each tickets chance of success, individually.

Right - got it. It's not going to stop me being part of the work lotto syndicate, though ;-)

Ah - so with one ticket your chances are 1 in 14,000,000, but with two tickets your chances are 1 in 13,999,999, right? You have the same chance of winning on each ticket, but the second ticket represents one less number combination from the winning pool (if you factor in only going for the big prize, assume it's not going to be shared, and some other stuff). You have to calculate each tickets chance of success, individually.

Right - got it. It's not going to stop me being part of the work lotto syndicate, though ;-)

Spot on and yes being in a syndicate does improve your odds at winning a lot. The downside is of course you would then need to split the winnings which in the end of the day would be roughly the same if you've gone solo depending on your syndicate size.

There's still no mathematic solution for pure luck though for whoever wins the lottery. There's no way to compute pure randomness but some do argue that nothing is random, there is always an influencing variable sometimes. Open to debate though!

Dunno about that - would it be reasonable to state that; being part of a syndicate gives you a very similar possibility of winning as going it alone, but reduces the time in which a win is possible (although that time would still be huge, and the win split several ways)?

Anyway - this goes nowhere towards explaining how Derren Brown listed out the winning lottery numbers that time, on tv :-p lol

The odds are more than 1 in 14million.

Anyway thats not what you want to look at, you want to work out the chance on getting 7 correct numbers, which you will find is something in the billions.

The lottery is bogus and you really have no chance of winning it. Its a waste of money.

Go on then folks, for those of you who've said this is basic, easy stuff, what's the answer? (martini, I reckon you know so perhaps you could hold fire for a bit :)). Put your money where your mouth is. :)

I'm happy to put my hand up and say that I do find statistics and probability confusing sometimes. My maths background is more mechanics-based, so stats tends to leave me a bit cold. I believe I know the answer though.

No, your chances with 2 tickets are not 1 in 13999999 - you haven't got it.

The odds are more than 1 in 14million.

Why? :blink:

Anyway thats not what you want to look at, you want to work out the chance on getting 7 correct numbers, which you will find is something in the billions.

Why 7 numbers? You need to match 6 numbers to get the jackpot. The bonus is not part of the jackpot? When have you ever recieved a lotto ticket with 7 numbers on it? :blink:

The lottery is bogus and you really have no chance of winning it. Its a waste of money.

The lottery is bogus? :blink:

Someone wins it, there are hundreds of millionaires in this country simply due to the lottery.

Go on then folks, for those of you who've said this is basic, easy stuff, what's the answer?

The answer is in the first post - I was playing devil's advocate. It's 1 in 7 million.

Think of it this way:

If you have two tickets, over 14m draws, you'd expect that both those tickets combinations will have shown up. By the same token, in 7million draws, odds say that one of those tickets will have been drawn. Which is where 1 in 7m comes from. It's not a cert and may not happen, it's just the most likely outcome. It's not a guarantee - obviously. It's just likelyhood :)

The answer is in the first post - I was playing devil's advocate. It's 1 in 7 million.

Think of it this way:

If you have two tickets, over 14m draws, you'd expect that both those tickets combinations will have shown up. By the same token, in 7million draws, odds say that one of those tickets will have been drawn. Which is where 1 in 7m comes from. It's not a cert and may not happen, it's just the most likely outcome. It's not a guarantee - obviously. It's just likelyhood :)

Amazing. You would thought I had wrote exactly that explanation yesterday.

Nice to know you needed it explained to you as you didn't have a proper understanding.... only to come back and use the same explanation as if it was yours :blink:

Go on then folks, for those of you who've said this is basic, easy stuff, what's the answer? (martini, I reckon you know so perhaps you could hold fire for a bit :)). Put your money where your mouth is. :)

I'm happy to put my hand up and say that I do find statistics and probability confusing sometimes. My maths background is more mechanics-based, so stats tends to leave me a bit cold. I believe I know the answer though.

Make sure you are discussing odds and not probability there Stevie. 2 very very different arguments. Odds are cut and dry, probability is as grey as it gets unless you go deep into statistical analysis.

Make sure you are discussing odds and not probability there Stevie. 2 very very different arguments.

Indeed. :) I think that was part of the problem of this thread: people were using odds, chances, and probability interchangeably.

1 in 7 million is the probability of winning the jackpot with 2 dissimilar tickets, whereas 2 : 13,999,998 are the odds of winning it (assuming there are exactly 14 million combinations, which I know isn't quite right but let's assume there are).

Probability = (Chances for)/(Total chances)

Odds are (Chances for) : (Chances against)