The mkiv Supra Owners Club

High pitched whine when revs increase - Help needed

HERBIE

Hi Guys

I got into the car yesterday evening and noticed a very fine high pitched whine when revs are applied, not just whilst in motion but also when stationary

It's only audible whilst in the car and really confusing the hell out of me. I put a cat back on last weekend and new induction kit and that's all that is on the car and can't see how either would be causing the noise

I first thought gearbox related but not so sure

It's a 94 NA Auto

Has anyone experienced this before?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated guys

Herbie

If i could get a run down Marty i'd take it down to you but i'm flat out at uni here in Coleraine this week

It only seems to become loud enough past 2500rpm and by 4500rpm you cant hear it because of the exhaust so not sure how far its going up the rev range

Are you sure its not just the turbos your hearing now. After fitting an induction kit to mine your can really hear the turbos, especially the first one. I would have thought with a less restrictive airfilter more noise from the turbo would travel out the air inlet pipe easier

ive had high pitched squeels before that were caused by induction kits and even poorly sealing Airboxes, bit hard to tell though unless you can pinout the area of the noise, recheck the CAT for any small leaks or signs of lowing out, small enough one at flange could make a squeal too

Cheers Marty

I caught a speed bump a bit hard here in uni the other night so that could be the reason cos the first thing it caught was the front joint of the cat back. Hadn't moved the car again til last night

Thanks for the help,much appreciated as always