The mkiv Supra Owners Club

a UK 1100 RWHP @ 2 Bar

bondango

Drop them an email via the website as a concern motorist, they are very helpful in that department as i had be in discussion with them about an N.Ireland roll out last year.

Thats the thing that annoys me, in the US E85 works out cheaper per gallon :(

I am not too sure what an E85 conversion would cost but even at 1.17 a liter compared to 1.40 for petrol at least I would be saving some $

Really want to see how this Budget pans out in December with our 15 Billion required savings before I invest in anything Supra, I fear my road tax will jump to 2100 euro anoter 800 euro on top of my 1300 as it stands :(

If you get a chance can you send me on Details for the Cam Seal parts Colin will need etc would like to order off Paul today, I need breather cam pipes ASAP

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How much do you really save though, the reason you need such large injectors is that to get the same power you need to inject a lot more fuel.

It would be interesting to see if it would make a saving but at least you will get more power hopefully, Normally E85 was a hell of alot cheaper nearly 40cent cheaper

It would be interesting to see if it would make a saving but at least you will get more power hopefully

It has a higher octane rating and burns cooler which should allow you to add more timing which will give more power, but its certainly not free power as like I said you need a lot more fuel.

With the price of E85 now so close to Petrol I would be surprised if you made any saving. Potentially you might burn less and run leaner for cruising but when going after power its another story.

well average a 1/3 more E85 over Pump fuel for like-for like-power - But, then the mapper needs to do his job on the e85, which means leaner AF's more agrressive timing, which increases Power, so its not a straight forward stick to measure with ;)

Can you do this and have a flexi Fuel sensor ? Alot of thrust has to go into the Mapper and the Flexi Fuel sensor

Can you do this and have a flexi Fuel sensor ? Alot of thrust has to go into the Mapper and the Flexi Fuel sensor

This would largely depend on the flexi-fuel strategy in the ECU, when I was looking into a long time ago the only aftermarket unit I found that used them was the mega-squirt, there is some info on there site http://www.megamanual.com/flexfuel.htm

I am sure other ECUs now have a strategy but I haven't bothered to research into it.

Well, Trust in a mapper - thats why you have Forums, and results. A lot does rest on a mappers head, and id say ryan is ok on that Front.

Flexifuel Sensor :-

I havnt had input from Ryan on this yet, as E85 mapping is so new to the UK tuning scene.

But, a flexfuel sensor measure the content of ethanol in the Fuel and produces an electical signal. this signal can be conditioned into a 0-5v signal depending on the quanity of ethanol measure in the fuel (PLX devices now sell the conditioner)

So now you have a signal 0v (no Eth) - 5V (100% eth) which can now be used by the ECU and an Ethonal content gauge

This is were the advanced features of an ECU come into to play - determining what to do with this Signal.

Say we have 1 map (fuel/timing) for pump fuel

and another map (fuel/timing) for E85

Using the 0-5v content signal we can apply some logic to the mapping

4.5v = 85% content so ecu uses 100% of the E85 map

3.0v = 60% content so ecu uses 80% of eth map and 20% of pump fuel map

0v = no eth content so ecu uses 100%

Thats the logic - how the ECU applies or can apply this logic is Ryans Game :)

Well, Trust in a mapper - thats why you have Forums, and results. A lot does rest on a mappers head, and id say ryan is ok on that Front.

Flexifuel Sensor :-

I havnt had input from Ryan on this yet, as E85 mapping is so new to the UK tuning scene.

But, a flexfuel sensor measure the content of ethanol in the Fuel and produces an electical signal. this signal can be conditioned into a 0-5v signal depending on the quanity of ethanol measure in the fuel (PLX devices now sell the conditioner)

So now you have a signal 0v (no Eth) - 5V (100% eth) which can now be used by the ECU and an Ethonal content gauge

This is were the advanced features of an ECU come into to play - determining what to do with this Signal.

Say we have 1 map (fuel/timing) for pump fuel

and another map (fuel/timing) for E85

Using the 0-5v content signal we can apply some logic to the mapping

4.5v = 85% content so ecu uses 100% of the E85 map

3.0v = 60% content so ecu uses 80% of eth map and 20% of pump fuel map

0v = no eth content so ecu uses 100%

Thats the logic - how the ECU applies or can apply this logic is Ryans Game :)

Didnt know the ECU had the ability to generate the mapping Algorithm on the fly, was under the impression it was like an on/off switch either u are on the E85 map or the pump fuel map

Logic makes sense, now to dtermine if indeed the E85 here is 100% E85

Interesting how it would identify E5

thanks Marty

Didnt know the ECU had the ability to generate the mapping Algorithm on the fly, was under the impression it was like an on/off switch either u are on the E85 map or the pump fuel map

Thats the whole point of the flexi-fuel sensor, the idea behind it being you can top up with whats available and not worry about blowing the motor ;)

Thats the whole point of the flexi-fuel sensor, the idea behind it being you can top up with whats available and not worry about blowing the motor ;)

Got you, so in theory you could put in E85 on petrol or vise versa and let the ECU idenitfy the optimum map

So an ECU that maps itself, Ryan might be out of a job soon :p

Got you, so in theory you could put in E85 on petrol or vise versa and let the ECU idenitfy the optimum map

So an ECU that maps itself, Ryan might be out of a job soon :p

The ECU doesnt normally update any maps, those still have to be done manually, it calculates whats required at that time based on the information provided.

I have tried self mapping functions on ECUs before and after 5 minutes of casual driving I had to pull over and reload my original map :D

The ECU doesnt normally update any maps, those still have to be done manually, it calculates whats required at that time based on the information provided.

I have tried self mapping functions on ECUs before and after 5 minutes of casual driving I had to pull over and reload my original map :D

As Wez says, the car would be mapped on pump fuel, then E85 to produce 2 sets of maps. Using the flexifuel sensor values the ECU would then apply logic to which values to use between the 2 maps.