The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Plastering

penguin

.... about to replaster/Skim the rooms in my house - no i couldnt afford to pay someone to do it for me :p

just wondering if anyone here has given it a go and what the results were...

so far i've:

* removed all the wallpaper

* ensured the walls have a smooth surface (previous paint job has left blotches all over!)

i've got myself a few bags of Thistle Multifinish.... the plan is

a) PVA (1Part PVA:2 parts water) the wall

b) apply first coat of multifinish

c) allow coat to "set" a little

d) try to flatten out

e) apply second coat

f) allow to set

g) apply small amounts of water and flatten to finish

that's the plan - any stages i'm missing out? :)

(I've taken down all the skirting boards, coving etc.. figured i'll do it properly and take my time creating a masterpiece :D )

you got the right idea but your pva mix dont have to be so strong especially if the walls are sealed already with paint scoring helps prior to sealing. Try & do complete walls in one check wall when you've done a metre or 2 just to make sure its not drying to quick, 2 coats is a good way for previously plastered walls & beginners it gets over bumps & high spots better & gives you more time to get it right put 2nd coat on when its just starting to get firm ie you can still put a finger mark in it, allow yourself 3-4 hrs on good size wall

I'm a plasterer the last 10 years mate & for skimming you really want a worn trowel that's sharp & bent in the right direction. If it's not sharp it will peel the skim, if it's bent wrong then it will leave big lines in the skim.

A little tip though is start on a small wall.

If your right handed work from right to left.

Don't rub it to much or it will blister.

Keep the lines out as best you could (if it drys a bit you won't get them out).

As said start small & apply first coat. Then give it a second coat (before the first has dried). Give it a trowel (rub over) when it's a little stiffer than when applyed DON'T USE WATER. When it's a little harder again give it another trowel using a little clean water. Make sure to sprinkle the wall with a brush (flick the water at the wall) & don't brush it or you will leave lines. Now leave it to set so you can touch it & give it another trowel. This will leave it smooth & shiny.

Best of luck mate.

I will warn you though, being an old wall it will probably dry very fast.

I'm a plasterer the last 10 years mate & for skimming you really want a worn trowel that's sharp & bent in the right direction. If it's not sharp it will peel the skim, if it's bent wrong then it will leave big lines in the skim.

A little tip though is start on a small wall.

If your right handed work from right to left.

Don't rub it to much or it will blister.

Keep the lines out as best you could (if it drys a bit you won't get them out).

As said start small & apply first coat. Then give it a second coat (before the first has dried). Give it a trowel (rub over) when it's a little stiffer than when applyed DON'T USE WATER. When it's a little harder again give it another trowel using a little clean water. Make sure to sprinkle the wall with a brush (flick the water at the wall) & don't brush it or you will leave lines. Now leave it to set so you can touch it & give it another trowel. This will leave it smooth & shiny.

Best of luck mate.

I will warn you though, being an old wall it will probably dry very fast.

started on the ceiling instead - done about half of it is a standard size living room and realised it started to dry off - got majority of the lines out, but some remained which i'll sand down :)

major mistake of the day - using 15L of water... which meant mixing over 30kg of the stuff in one go :( but live and learn :D going to be doing the second half of the ceiling this evening hopefully will get the 1.1L for 2.5Kg mix right this time :D

have to say -it's very labour intensive! my right arm got a major workout :p

• 1 month later...

update:

not only did i get one room done, i moved on to the rest of the house and have done a pretty good job of it, applied the basecoat after a bit (a lot in the earlier attempts) of sanding and hey presto :D

now looking to build my own first extension :p using visio to do the planning permission docs etc and starting a basic bricklaying course in jan (runs for 5 weeks), anyone have any experience of these courses?