The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Defence Review

Swampy442

I think we've gone a tad off topic here but FWIW I think the object of the vulcan raid was not in fact to deny the runway (the harriers already stopped that from happening by their presence) The main objective of the Vulcan mission was to strike fear into the Argentinian troops and their politicians. It was a statement that read the Falkland Islands are actually very much in reach of British forces on a daily basis even from thousands of miles away. It was an effort in sticking two fingers up and very much a huge sabre rattle. It also starkly said to Argentina that if we can drop a dirty great bomb on the Falklands we can also bring a blue steel out of retirement and drop that anywhere on Argentina we wanted!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that is the stupid country we live in and why financially we are screwed. They could significantly reduce our national debt by stopping overseas aid until we can afford it. Its a bit like having no job and giving your dole money to the homeless people thereby making yourself homeless as you can't afford your rent anymore!!!!

I'm happy to be corrected, but I don't think that's right. From some years back, I seem to remember foreign aid in total amounting to about 0.3-0.5% of GDP. We were somewhere towards the bottom of the overseas aid league compared to the rest of Europe. My instinct -rather than research -is that its a drop in the bucket compared to some of our expenditure.

If they're going to be scrapping a load of them, there should be loads of spares available. Maybe Keron can set up a side business? :D

LOL

I suspect scrap doesn't mean they necessarily scrap them. Will most likley sell a lot of them to please like Iran... then in 5 years time when we invade them we end up having to shoot our own planes down :)

Either way, its still money that could be better used here.

I know what you're saying, but ethics aside, I think a more unequal world is a less safe place to be. Poverty is a major contributor to environmental destruction, and ultimately the environment underpins the world economy.

I see it like this: the world is interconnected, in a way it never has been in previous centuries. We're up one end of a rowing boat, trying to plug our leaks, and they are huge. However, there are some massive holes up the other end too, and we ignore them at our peril.

I see it like this: the world is interconnected, in a way it never has been in previous centuries. We're up one end of a rowing boat, trying to plug our leaks, and they are huge. However, there are some massive holes up the other end too, and we ignore them at our peril.

:thumbs:

I know what you're saying, but ethics aside, I think a more unequal world is a less safe place to be. Poverty is a major contributor to environmental destruction, and ultimately the environment underpins the world economy.

Sod 'em and look after number one, worked in the past when we ruled the world :D

International Development: 35.7% rise from £7.9bn

I can also confirm that this Coalition government will be the first British Government in history and the first major country in the world to honour the United Nations commitment on international aid :complain: . The Department for International Development's budget will rise to £11.5bn over the next four years.

How can we afford to give away £11.5bn :complain:

Very well put, cant argue with that :)

We're not buying the VSTOL version of the F35 Si, keep costs down innit

International Development: 35.7% rise from £7.9bn

I can also confirm that this Coalition government will be the first British Government in history and the first major country in the world to honour the United Nations commitment on international aid :complain: . The Department for International Development's budget will rise to £11.5bn over the next four years.

How can we afford to give away £11.5bn :complain:

I'm not sure that honouring our promise is a cause for complaint. It's more to the shame of the other countries that for year after year, they haven't done that.

Even the Daily Mail managed to pick up on this point:

Money will be focused in 'fragile states' such as Afghanistan, Pakistan and Yemen deemed important for national security.

The aim is to tackle underlying problems such as poor education, governance, and healthcare, which are exploited by militants seeking recruits.

According to a letter from bloke in charge of the RAF :-

"Rather than the Short Take Off and Vertical Landing variant, the much more capable Carrier Variant of the Joint Strike Fighter – Lightning II - will be brought into service at the end of this decade; first as a land-based force and then developing to become the key component of the Carrier Strike capability. "

Im sure ours are the STOVL its the ones that are in my jig at the moment, should see completion of our first set of vertical and horisontal tails within the next month or so, then they get shipped to the US to be mated up on there final assembly line.

Gav, we were buying the F35B, but yesterday the SDSR has us down as buying the F35C in it's place. A lot of the Engineering guys in Samlesbury now sat nervously pondering the implications.

Edit:

The strike needs to be made more capable. Installing the catapult and arrestor will allow the UK to acquire the carrier-variant of Joint Strike Fighter ready to deploy on the converted carrier instead of the short take-off and vertical landing (STOVL) variant. This version of the jet has a longer range and greater payload: this, not large numbers of aircraft, is the critical requirement for precision strike operations in the future. The UK plans to operate a single model of JSF, instead of different land and naval variants. Overall, the carrier-variant of the JSF will be cheaper, reducing through-life costs by around 25%.

We will also buy the carrier variant of the Joint Strike Fighter, a state-of the-art aircraft with an exceptionally broad range of capabilities, and an expected service life of several decades

and

reduce our planned number of Joint Strike Fighter aircraft. Installing a catapult on the new aircraft carrier will allow us to switch to the more capable carrier variant

Mike