The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Defence Review

Swampy442

So just walked out of a brief about the review, and with reference to the RAF here's the bare bones as I know some people have an interest :-

Removing 2 entire aircraft fleets, Harrier and Nimrod

Harrier retired by April 11, to be replaced with JSF in the future

RAF Kinloss in Scotland being closed and the new Nimrod project cancelled.

Tornado fleet to be reduced to 5 squadrons

New Chinooks order being reduced by 10 to 12

Merlin force reduced by 2 (which is lucky as we've binned 2 lol)

ASTOR to be withdrawn by 2015.

Reduction in numbers by 5000

VC10 and Tri Star retired in 2013 and replaced with Airbus A330

Hercules fleet to be retired and replaced with A400M

So there you go. When I joined up the RAF had 105,000 people, now its almost 33,000 :(

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So just walked out of a brief about the review, and with reference to the RAF here's the bare bones as I know some people have an interest :-

Removing 2 entire aircraft fleets, Harrier and Nimrod

Harrier retired by April 11, to be replaced with JSF in the future

RAF Kinloss in Scotland being closed and the new Nimrod project cancelled.

Tornado fleet to be reduced to 5 squadrons

New Chinooks order being reduced by 10 to 12

Merlin force reduced by 2 (which is lucky as we've binned 2 lol)

ASTOR to be withdrawn by 2015.

Reduction in numbers by 5000

VC10 and Tri Star retired in 2013 and replaced with Airbus A330

Hercules fleet to be retired and replaced with A400M

So there you go. When I joined up the RAF had 105,000 people, now its almost 33,000 :(

Astor is been drawndown when no longed needed in Afghan ;)

The MR4a's were a joke anyway having done testing on them. Officially, an order for 22 Chinooks was never placed.

So the chinooks that were scheduled to be built in the UK or Europe no longer are . That spells for a career direction change on my part.. Bummer dudes. I know some people in the nimrod line that won't be too happy to hear the news either. Short term savings that screw our country every time.

As for the nuclear deterrent I take it you aren't aware that our nukes are older than Noah and the government has already said the monies got to come out of the MOD budget for replacements so that won't be happening. We really are now utterly reliant on our alliances to keep us safe from invasion.

So the chinooks that were scheduled to be built in the UK or Europe no longer are . That spells for a career direction change on my part.. Bummer dudes. I know some people in the nimrod line that won't be too happy to hear the news either. Short term savings that screw our country every time.

As for the nuclear deterrent I take it you aren't aware that our nukes are older than Noah and the government has already said the monies got to come out of the MOD budget for replacements so that won't be happening. We really are now utterly reliant on our alliances to keep us safe from invasion.

I know a few on the nimrod line too after 3 years there ;)

mark my words! I bet Argentina attacks the falklands the day after Ark Royal is decommissioned.

10 years without a naval fast jet is pure stupidity :(

I'm all for the JSF and Typhoon, but why scrap the harrier force before the JSF is in service!

60yrs ago we had the biggest navy in the world. Nelson will be turning in his grave.

Blimey:blink:

I have just finished work (RN) and have just seen our cuts, I think we have got off quite lightly compared to my colleagues in the RAF:

Navy cuts:

4 x Type 22 Frigates (our most capable ships but V expensive to run)

HMS Ark Royal (without Harrier not much use to man or beast and V expensive to run)

All sea king helos by 2016

Obviously All joint force Harrier.

1 flat top to remain in the LPH role (Ocean or Illustrious).

1 (of 2) LPD (amphibious ship) to be laid up in extended readiness.

5000 personnel by 2015 and a further 1000 by 2020.

Same as you swampy when I joined the Navy in the mid 80's (just after the falklands) we had a massive fleet:-

3 x aircraft carriers,

2 x LPD

6 x T21 frigates

14 x T22 frigates

12 x T42 destroyers

24 x leander class frigates

which could cover a conflict like the falklands now we would struggle to support our NATO roles and the falklands is a non starter:-

0 x aircraft carriers

1 x LPH

1 x LPD

13 x T23 frigates

4 x T42 destroyers (currently being replaced by T45 destroyers)

1 X T45 destroyer (1 in service, 2 in trials another 3 being built).

As an island nation and trying support NATO we will be fully stretched but during my 24 years I have only known cuts so we will continue to do our best with the equipment we are given. As long as the lads on the front line continue to get full support we will give our all.:)