The mkiv Supra Owners Club

French France and its striking population

Gaz6002

What do we think about what's going on over in France?

There were a few people on the radio this lunchtime saying we should take a leaf out of the French book and stand up for ourselves too rather than just rolling with constant government cuts. Without the violence, of course.

We all saw what happened when the G8 summit came to town. It went a bit tits-up. Is there capacity for this sort of revolt left in British society or are we likely to lay down and get screwed?

Oh, and try to keep the phrase 'cheese-eating surrender-monkeys' out of this thread for at least the first 100 posts please :)

The French are great "strikers", they just blockade as a form of protest, so largely it's passive. We're not like that. The British on the whole have to get in peoples faces and go, generally, a bit over the top and the police are often heavy handed which can promote hostility.

They're more experienced than we are, and generally do it better.

The best examples of us "striking" was when we had the blockades at the Petrol Stations and the motorway go-slows - but people panic buy the fuel, so it's a bit of a wasted effort on the whole.

if you look at the real deficit and be honest with yourself these cuts are needed to bring us back to an even keel.....it may be the banks that caused the mess but it wasnt just that labour have never had a grasp on good economics and had they got in again this time even they would have to be doing what is being done. nobody like cutting back but in the cold light of day if these cuts dont happen we will be in even more trouble in a few years

The French are great "strikers", they just blockade as a form of protest, so largely it's passive. We're not like that. The British on the whole have to get in peoples faces and go, generally, a bit over the top and the police are often heavy handed which can promote hostility.

The best examples of us "striking" was when we had the blockades at the Petrol Stations and the motorway go-slows - but people panic buy the fuel, so it's a bit of a wasted effort on the whole.

They seem to have solved the panic-buying issue by carrying on the blockade in Marseille for a month :D

Thanks to them we're going to see a 2p rise in unleaded fuel.

The bin men went on strike in the Leeds area for about 2 months last year. It was just a nightmare for everyone else because it wasn't an 'on mass' decision.

The French society seems to stick together - a we're in it together type attitude. I can't see that happening here. But that's why they've got better holidays/maternity pay/worker rights etc.

They seem to have solved the panic-buying issue by carrying on the blockade in Marseille for a month :D

Thanks to them we're going to see a 2p rise in unleaded fuel.

I think the Government would be better served in introducing a flat-rate fee on the fuel, rather than a percentage. That way, they know that if it's £1.00 a litre or even £1.20, only 75p (I say only!) is going to the Government, the rest is to the petrol companies. Then, it removes their excuse for blaming the price of crude and also absolves them of pressure when then the prices rise for that reason.

The French society seems to stick together - a we're in it together type attitude. I can't see that happening here. But that's why they've got better holidays/maternity pay/worker rights etc.

Yep. I remember when they introduced clamps on the cars. The French, as a nation, just said no. And every car that was clampled had superglue put over the key lock. Not just by the owners, but by everyone who saw a clamp. That's what we need if we want to have that "in it together" attitude.

Yep. I remember when they introduced clamps on the cars. The French, as a nation, just said no. And every car that was clampled had superglue put over the key lock. Not just by the owners, but by everyone who saw a clamp. That's what we need if we want to have that "in it together" attitude.

I'm confused? Why would an owner of a car put superglue over the key lock of the thing keeping his car stationary?

Really?? I find the brits on a whole just shrug their shoulders and say 'Well unless someone else starts complaining I guess I'll just have to live with it'.... Maybe I'm wrong... not sure.

if you look at the real deficit and be honest with yourself these cuts are needed to bring us back to an even keel.....it may be the banks that caused the mess but it wasnt just that labour have never had a grasp on good economics and had they got in again this time even they would have to be doing what is being done. nobody like cutting back but in the cold light of day if these cuts dont happen we will be in even more trouble in a few years

Get rid of the sodding fat cat bankers, and get people employeed with their salaries. Cuts for the most part just mean that people are out of work, meaning a higher need for benefits etc....etc... What is need is an economy which is alive and not just at the top end.

Really?? I find the brits on a whole just shrug their shoulders and say 'Well unless someone else starts complaining I guess I'll just have to live with it'.... Maybe I'm wrong... not sure.

No, no, you're right. Am just talking about when we as a national actually get off the couch, turn the telly off and do something - which isn't that often (unless you're a Liverpool FC fan).

You're missing the point. Everyone did it as a population, so things just ground to a halt. They did it to any clamps they saw, not just ones on their own cars.

I get the point, I'm just suprised that superglue over a metal lock actually works. My experiance with superglue shows it's only any good for bonding clothing and skin.

I get the point, I'm just suprised that superglue over a metal lock actually works. My experiance with superglue shows it's only any good for bonding clothing and skin.

It would stop you putting the key in the lock, which I suppose is good enough.

Could have swore I said that earlier :)

I double as a parrot.

I double as a parrot.

The French often strike just because the sake of it. I bet most of them don't even know why they are doing it. It is a tradtion and every generation wants a part of it.

You brits should be happy Thatcher annihilated the unions in the 80's - they are like cancer, only worse.

The French government needs to get on top of this asap, otherwise we might see the Wehrmac.....Bundeswehr on French soil again.

Not really. If they can't unlock it, the clamper must break the clamp to release the car, i.e. cost.

I understand the theory and the idea that the clamper would have to break his clamp, but as said, I was just suprised this superglue thing would actually work i.e. completely stop the lock from working.........