The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Multiculturalism has 'utterly failed'

Kim1978

Sensitive topic indeed. After the Bundesbanker Thilo Sarrazin released his deeply islam critical book "Deutschland schafft sich ab" the immigration/integration debate hit full boost.

Here are some recent quotes from Angela Merkel - unusual to hear this from a Chancellor or even from a mainstream politician.

'Too little required of immigrants' says tough-talking Christian Democrat leader German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said her country’s attempts to build a post-war multicultural society have ‘utterly failed’.

In a landmark speech, she broke one of Germany’s last taboos and courted anti-immigration support by claiming those from a different background failed to live happily side-by-side with native Germans.

Addressing fears of ‘German-ness’ being lost amid new mosques, headscarves in classrooms and Turkish ghettos in cities like Berlin, she added: ‘We feel bound to the Christian image of humanity – that is what defines us. Those who do not accept this are in the wrong place here.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1321277/Angela-Merkel-Multiculturalism-Germany-utterly-failed.html#ixzz12kW879D6

I read some of the comments, expecting some Nazi comparisons but the support for her, by british readers, were uniform. Not a single negative comment (ignoring the obvious sarcasm) which surprised me. Most of them were deeply critical to the immigration policy followed by Labour and the Torries which they labeled a disaster.

I don't want to step on any toes here or offend our muslim members, if there are any, but is the immigration/integration situation in the UK that bad?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sympathise with what is said although I prefer the article on the BBC website. Multicultural society worked and still works for many people, Germans and imigrants alike since the 60's where Germany was craving for foreign workers. A lot of imigrants stayed and adapted very well within German society but no word about that... The funny thing is that many imigrants of back then are part of EU now (Italians, Greeks, Portugese etc) so all of a sudden they are not a cause for concern now? If, and dare I say "I hope not", Turkey becomes part of the EU, what would Germany's view be on its non-working multikulti society? I sense lots of hypocrisy there.

Totally agree, whilst we as a society wish for multiculturalism, many who arrive on these shores fail or ignore the attempts to establish a multicultural society. Go to certain parts of big cities and you find yourself in another world.

On the other side of the coin, if you go to Spain there are enclaves of English speaking expats, who drink at the english themed pub and drink english beer and keep themselves to themselves away from "Johnny Foriegner".

IBTL

Racist.

I was reading yesterday that there are plans to bring the ~25,000 UK troops that are based in Germany back (so they can fight in UK bars and get bored) so that should help.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/defence/6617358/Tories-to-pull-British-forces-out-of-Germany.html

Anyway you started it when you invaded Poland.

Multiculturalism will only work if the 'immigrant' is willing to become part of the greater community, rather than making their own little mini-communities expecting to be able to make a home from home in their new country of residence.

What if the greater community is fundamentally racist?:sly:

H.

More to the point, what if the immigrants are?!

Then we end up where we are now. There should be an honesty box and people who admit they are not racist go and live in the leafy suburbs together, borrowing each others orbital sanders and lawn mowers, cup of sugar anyone..!!

All the imbred nazis and religious freaks should go to Iraq and fight it out amongst themselves and tell us who wins....:)

You are never going to solve this problem, too many complications and opinions of ignorant people who have racism bred into them.

H.

Why would this be locked? Too sensitive topic for our forum?

Lets get the focus back to Germany being that that is where the 'news' is coming from. Have you yourself noticed a change in immigration?

I moved from Malmo, Sweden to Germany and has only lived here for 7 years. The situation in Malmo was disastrous to say the least (they will have a muslim majority in 25 years btw) and has only become worse since I left.

Germany on the other hand is on a better footing although the inability of muslims to integrate here is no different than Sweden. Ze Germans have started to talk about it, quite open and honest, whereas in Sweden it is a total taboo.

So to answer your question, no, I haven't seen a change in immigration/integration lately but a significant change of attitude towards leeching immigrants. This debate is really at the center stage now, not the economy or unemployment and it seems like it is gaining momentum. I believe we will see some signifcant changes to immigration laws in the coming 6 months which will probably benefit high skilled labour from culture-close countries and tougher rules for muslims/illiterates/crimimal immigrants.

IBTL,

Do you mean with have immigrationz living here?! :shock:

On a side note Kim, can you we have a large scale picture of your avatar please? :)

Yes I was referring to the immigration/integration situation in the UK.

It is an old pic. I will see later tonight if I have the picture saved on my home pc.

Then we end up where we are now. There should be an honesty box and people who admit they are not racist go and live in the leafy suburbs together, borrowing each others orbital sanders and lawn mowers, cup of sugar anyone..!!

All the imbred nazis and religious freaks should go to Iraq and fight it out amongst themselves and tell us who wins....:)

You are never going to solve this problem, too many complications and opinions of ignorant people who have racism bred into them.

H.

So you think all Nazis are inbred and all religious people are freaks? What time are you leaving for Iraq? :D

Multiculturalism will only work if the 'immigrant' is willing to become part of the greater community, rather than making their own little mini-communities expecting to be able to make a home from home in their new country of residence.

More to the point, what if the immigrants are?!

Two key things here - there are pockets of immigrants from all backgrounds in many cities. Liverpool affectionately has "China Town", but that, whilst positive, is still a part of a sect. There are parts of Toxteth, still, unfortunately, where white people don't go.

Racism is a bigger problem when directed TO the indigenous folk but it's never reported, only when going FROM them. There's a certain taboo surrounding this topic, and no politician addresses it too clearly for being labelled. There'll never be a balance because of the labels associated with making the "big decision".

EDIT: And rather than locking this, keep it on topic and remove trolling posts :)