The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel System Setups!

JamieP

I'm looking to upgrade my fuel system and future proof it in the hope one day i may have a garage that has E85 close to my house.

My current bosch high imp 900cc injectors are maxed out on pump fuel.

Injectors I'm going to go with Injector dynamic ID2000cc, just waiting on prices back.

Fuel pump is what I'm looking for advice on, Looking at the weldon 2345-A and dude has also mention to me about an aeromotive pump that seems good value.

Trying to get my head round all this and how it works.

Is a swirl pot needed and what the point of one? or can these big inline pumps simply pull fuel from the tank?

If a swirl pot is fitted how does the system work? is there another pump that fills the swirl pot then the big pump pulls fuel from that?

Anyone got pictures of big HP fuel systems?

Diagrams of the setups?

Jamie:)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuel is pumped from the main tank into the swirl pot then the main pump takes from that, the return goes back to the swirl pot and an overflow goes from the swirlpot back to the tank, a swirlpot also does what it says, it swirls the fuel to oxygenate it.

If you look on Aeromotives website they have a fuel cell kit that has an A1000 with a hardline pickup and filter on the end, I think Cody also posted some pics of a custom pickup welded to the stock hanger so the pump can be mounted externally.

The issue with the pump external would be noise as yours is a road car.

I got a billet phr triple pump hanger in at present, just using twin walbros, i could just add another walbro but i just dont trust them, they make some odd sounds every now and then.

I hear that. I had one fail on my MR2 and we had to switch out. I'm just paranoid, but there's SO many out there that there are bound to be some issues.

I've liked the idea behind the Fuelab Prodigy series, but the early ones suffered from overheating issues, even when mounted intank. Not sure about them now, as you're not sure which one you've got, if you do buy one.

Bosch 044's do seem a great solution as they just work. Will follow this closely. You'd be needing a -10 system for that?

I hear that. I had one fail on my MR2 and we had to switch out. I'm just paranoid, but there's SO many out there that there are bound to be some issues.

I've liked the idea behind the Fuelab Prodigy series, but the early ones suffered from overheating issues, even when mounted intank. Not sure about them now, as you're not sure which one you've got, if you do buy one.

Bosch 044's do seem a great solution as they just work. Will follow this closely. You'd be needing a -10 system for that?

I have -10 now mate.

jamie go for the triple hanger mate like we have done on andys car (your car needs and deserves this fueling - its a pain in ass job but well worth it) if you need to call me you can speak to my mechanic and he can explain the full system and diagrams etc.

I have a triple hanger now mate, trying to set away from so many pumps tbh, i worry about one failing.

I've opted for triple walbro on Phr hanger,2000cc injectors from jens,aeromotive fpr and filter with srd lines,should give me all the fuel I need.

How much fuel does an 044 shift compared to a walbro?

044 moves more fuel than a walbro mate, cant remember the figures off the top of my head.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

If you look on Aeromotives website they have a fuel cell kit that has an A1000 with a hardline pickup and filter on the end, I think Cody also posted some pics of a custom pickup welded to the stock hanger so the pump can be mounted externally.

The issue with the pump external would be noise as yours is a road car.

A1000 only looks to be rated for a 1000hp for forced induction.

Jamie, dont know how much of an issue it will be for you but it may be worth noting as your moving a lot of fuel through these pump and lines it will heat.

Our set up was 1 x 044 intank feeding a 10L swirl pot feeding 2 x 044 pumps to dual feed rail via 8an lines.

We noticed after around a hours use, fuel pressure dropping and being inconsistant due the fuel getting hot. So we had to run a Fuel cooler on the system which solved the Problem.

Jamie, dont know how much of an issue it will be for you but it may be worth noting as your moving a lot of fuel through these pump and lines it will heat.

Our set up was 1 x 044 intank feeding a 10L swirl pot feeding 2 x 044 pumps to dual feed rail via 8an lines.

We noticed after around a hours use, fuel pressure dropping and being inconsistant due the fuel getting hot. So we had to run a Fuel cooler on the system which solved the Problem.

Was this on a supra mate?

Think I'll be going down the road of twin 044s. I've been looking into it for a while. Infact I was just talking to Johnny.G about it today. It looks pretty simple to fit the 2 in the tank if you stagger the pumps like the pics that are posted in page 1.

Im thinking the pumps may be getting to hot out of tank? going to try the twin 044 intank and keep my fingers crossed that works out.

Keep me posted on this please mate. I'm going single 044 for now, but I'd be very happy going twin 044 to get my 1600's maxxed.

There's a market here, traders! :)