The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I need help sizing wheels and tires

Guest Jaycee

So, I have a set of tires: 235/40/18 in the front and 275/35/18 in the back.

I've been advised to get 18x8.5 in the front and 18x9.5 in the back. Is that a good fit? Also, I don't know what the offset needs to be. So if anybody can help me out with that it would be great. I know the bolt pattern is 5x114.3

I'm also looking into getting a set of winter wheels and tires. Would 16x7 wheels and 225/50-16 tires be an ok size all the way around?

I keep wondering if there is different track widths on supras as sometimes wheels dont fit certain supras as id expect, i put some facelift 17's on a prefaclift supra and they sat in a lot more than i expected.

Them wheels on jamesy's car sit out further than id expect for the widths/offsets, same with dandans facelift car, keep thinking facelifts have a wider track, i know the arms are different part numbers.:search:

Yeah mine are

18x8.5 +22 offset

18x9.5 +22 offset

these needed the arches rolling but the offsets are quite low i guess?

maybe your right J? never heard of it before and certainly dont think its a Jspec v Uk thing, possibly Facelift v Pre facelift though?

I keep wondering if there is different track widths on supras as sometimes wheels dont fit certain supras as id expect, i put some facelift 17's on a prefaclift supra and they sat in a lot more than i expected.

Them wheels on jamesy's car sit out further than id expect for the widths/offsets, same with dandans facelift car, keep thinking facelifts have a wider track, i know the arms are different part numbers.:search:

I have prefacelift suspension arms on mine now though :D

The different part numbers are due to the bush material changing to a softer option on the later cars. When I replaced everything I went with the stiffer option :)

I've been advised to get 18x8.5 in the front and 18x9.5 in the back. Is that a good fit?

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

I'm also looking into getting a set of winter wheels and tires. Would 16x7 wheels and 225/50-16 tires be an ok size all the way around?
7-inch rims would be OK for 225/50-16. N/A standard size is 225/50-16 on 16x8 all round. Edited by garethr (see edit history)

I've been advised to get 18x8.5 in the front and 18x9.5 in the back. Is that a good fit? Also, I don't know what the offset needs to be. So if anybody can help me out with that it would be great. I know the bolt pattern is 5x114.3

I would go either:

18x8.5 (offset anywhere between +50 to +35)

18x9.5 (offset anywhere between +50 to +35)

or

18x9 (offset anywhere between +50 to +35)

18x10 (offset anywhere between +50 to +35)

What brakes do you have fitted? The Supra came with 2 options the smaller 2pot front/1pot rear or the larger 4pot front/2pot rear.

If you have the larger brakes you will need to make sure that the wheels will clear the larger calipers. The problem is usually with the 4pot front calipers, they are quite wide and need clearance between the front face of the caliper and the back of the spokes.

The winter wheels you mention are too narrow, I would fit a set of standard Supra wheels.

Nic, have u ever heard of facelift/pre facelift supras taking different widths and offsets?? As per jamies question on page 1

No everything I've read and seen says they were the same, just the centre cap change on the facelift. Also the US Supras came with different wheel finish options.

Checking the part number on the EPC would be the best way of finding out, but I don't have a copy on this machine.