The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Motorbikes

tbourner

Go straight for a 'big bike' :) I did my CBT, brought a GSXR 600
My mate did that. He'd never ridden a bike before he did the course and test then went out and bought a R1 as his first bike. That was more than 5 years ago and he's still alive.

I'm not saying it's the best idea for everyone but if you're half-sensible and have some self-control it can be done quite safely.

Well I got a cheap nasty chinese 125 scooter thing, £600. It's not bad, used it this morning for work. Didn't want to start in the cold but a few kick cranks and it was fine.

I have issues with security though, it's bigger than I hoped and won't quite go down the couple of steps to the house so I'm gonna have trouble keeping it down the alley or in the garden as planned. If I leave it out the front it'll be swiped! Not too much of an issue now but when I get a proper bike I'll want it safe.

What's a good way of securing a bike? I'm gonna get a disc lock so it can't be wheeled away easily, but at 101kg they can just pick it up and stick it on the back of a van (they use scaffold poles and 2 blokes AFAIK). Chaining it to the Delica is an option but a bit of a PITA when we want to use the Deli for trips, plus the scoot will then be left. Got nowhere out the front to put an anchor either unless I concrete over the front garden!! That's an option TBH but a costly one that I can't afford right now.

I have issues with security though, it's bigger than I hoped and won't quite go down the couple of steps to the house so I'm gonna have trouble keeping it down the alley or in the garden as planned. If I leave it out the front it'll be swiped! Not too much of an issue now but when I get a proper bike I'll want it safe.

What's a good way of securing a bike? I'm gonna get a disc lock so it can't be wheeled away easily, but at 101kg they can just pick it up and stick it on the back of a van (they use scaffold poles and 2 blokes AFAIK).

Carry it down the steps, Trev, you weed. ;)

This is an interesting subject, as I'm after the very same thing for myself, and I considered a Chinese scooter, but I'm going to look at a proper Piaggio/Vespa when I've saved the cash.

I've also got websites and prices for all the residual stuff and clothing too.

Just the CBT, and I'm off. :)

This is an interesting subject, as I'm after the very same thing for myself, and I considered a Chinese scooter, but I'm going to look at a proper Piaggio/Vespa when I've saved the cash.

I've also got websites and prices for all the residual stuff and clothing too.

Just the CBT, and I'm off. :)

The hardest bit of getting the chinese one was finding insurance!! Only a couple of websites offer it for the Yiben!! Luckily Bennetts were cheapest for my previous quotes, and they do cover the Yiben, so it's all fine.

Carry it down the steps, Trev, you weed. ;)

I have been!! It's not that, it's that it scrapes the bottom on the steps as it goes down, so it's a bit of a bugger.

If you fancy coming over every day and slinging it over your shoulder for me that would be ace. :p

Bloke next door is a builder, he's offered to dig out all the grass and mud down the edge of the steps, and fill it all in with concrete to make a nice ramp down to house level, and also concrete up to the tree by the back gate so I'll have space to turn it. He reckons about £400 depending on how much of the earth I can use elsewhere.

I originally looked at getting a Jinlun, but decided I couldn't be reassured on the supply of parts too. There are some good Chinese Motorbike forums, and I managed to get insurance quotes from 2 insurers.

I have since decided that it's going to be either a Honda PCX 125, or a Yamaha BW'S 125, as they have good reviews, and look good too. :) Quite costly though.