The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Motorbikes

tbourner

I did my CBT yesterday, awesome fun as I've never even sat on a bike before! 2 other blokes were doing it who had ridden before some years ago, so progress was fast. I was lone with an instructor on the road which was nice, my bike broke down as well (battery knackered) so I had to kick start it on a hill approaching a roundabout when I stalled it!!! fun. Rev counter stopped working too as did the radio, serves me right for saving £20 on the fee rather than going to a well known place!!

At the end he said I'd done really well, probably close enough to put in for my test NOW and just do a couple more hours practice, so that's nice.

Anyhoo, now what? I've got my lid/gloves/jacket, just gonna wear jeans for now. I was planning on getting a 125 scooter but since riding the geared 125 I kinda like it, not sure what to do now.

It'll only be used for work, 3 miles of max 40mph roads, with lots of traffic lights and roundabouts, so the automatic would be easier. Plus I'd like to be able to get some milk/bread etc. on the way home so if I go geared I'll need a box.

Whether I get a scooter or bike, should I ride it for a while and do the normal A test, maybe get a 250 then after 2 years I can ride anything. Or do I go DAS? If I've been riding a 125 for a few months and decide to do DAS how many days practice am I likely to need on a 500 before the test?

I think I'll go looking for 125s around £800, and if I see a nice one whether scooter or geared I'll go for it. Then see how I get on and whether I want to do A test or DAS.

still not finished off my module 1 and 2 :)

you still got the theroy to do ?

you could get yourself a old cg125 and plod round on that very cheaply for a while and do your restricted test on it,

or just go DAS and get something larger

looking at bike to get after i finsh my tests, its the normal insurance costs that prevent massive bikes, i'm only after a drz400sm so im stuck on which licence to do, more than likely be das though

the only diffrence is going to be size/weight of bike, the road craft is the same whatever the bike

When I first passed my test (before I was 21) I bought a Hornet 250. excellent bike, fat rear (160 i think) tyre and looks like the 600. easy to ride too and it still did 120mph. Possibly the most fun I've had on a bike, and I've had numerous suprebikes.

Ok, so I think I'll get a 125 scooter, see how I get on, they're cheap enough that if I do get bored in a few months or a year I can trade it for a 125 bike. I'll probably trade it anyway or maybe do some lessons on a geared bike, then take my 'A' licence and get a nicer geared 250 or something, keep that for a couple of years then go bigger!!

So, what is it with mileage on bikes? I guess it's more important than on a car?

Mayhem Motorcycles have a 2008 Yamaha 125 scooter for £900 with 3,500 miles on it, and Open Road Motorcycles have a 2005 Yamaha 125 scooter for £795 (he said I could have it for £725 - worrying) with 34,000 miles on it!! 10 times the mileage!

You'll quickly get bored with scooters and 125s. I started off with a Honda CG125 (110+mpg) then Honda Hornet 600. Now got a Triumph 1050 Speed Triple, Honda RVF400 and a Yamaha R1 as well as the Caterham 7 and using the Supra as my sensible shopping car.

You'll quickly get bored with scooters and 125s. I started off with a Honda CG125 (110+mpg) then Honda Hornet 600. Now got a Triumph 1050 Speed Triple, Honda RVF400 and a Yamaha R1 as well as the Caterham 7 and using the Supra as my sensible shopping car.

I know I'll get to that stage eventually, I felt it when I opened the throttle on the CBT (as the instructor roared off on his 500), I just know it won't be enough for long!

But I'm happier taking small steps, I don't feel comfortable right now to go and get on a geared bike and ride up the road on it, even if it only takes 2 days for my confidence to come up enough I'd still rather start as low as I can. Going from the scooter to a bike will be tricky though as I'll have to find somewhere to stash my tins of beans from Tesco!! :D

I know I'll get to that stage eventually, I felt it when I opened the throttle on the CBT (as the instructor roared off on his 500), I just know it won't be enough for long!

But I'm happier taking small steps, I don't feel comfortable right now to go and get on a geared bike and ride up the road on it, even if it only takes 2 days for my confidence to come up enough I'd still rather start as low as I can. Going from the scooter to a bike will be tricky though as I'll have to find somewhere to stash my tins of beans from Tesco!! :D

Backpack dude and your on your way :D just dont fall on it a few tins of beans in the back will hurt like a bitch haha

The most important bit of kit after a helmet are proper bike boots. You don't want to end up with your foot hanging off like I did!

As soon as I get me leg over on a geared bike I will, won't need them for a scooter though! More chance of injury to my ankles on a pushbike.

Go straight for a 'big bike' :) I did my CBT, brought a GSXR 600, then did the direct access, passed the test after three days and rode me new toy home that afternoon :D

You'll get bored of a 125 pretty soon, and i'm sure you'll find excuses to go out on the bike if it's not just for commuting.

As for being too fast, well to employ a hackneyed saying, a throttle works both ways :)

Good luck whichever way you deciede to go

As soon as I get me leg over on a geared bike I will, won't need them for a scooter though! More chance of injury to my ankles on a pushbike.

My accident was at 25mph!

The second your exposed ankles hit the floor when you go over [and you will go over], you will regret it for the rest of your life as I do now:( It ended my martial arts hobbies, my running, my walking more than 2 miles, I have constant pain due to arthritis and I will need and ankle replacement or fusion in the next 5-10 years. And I'm only 30 (was 25 when it happened).

I have 11 screws, 2 plates and have had 11 ops

My accident was at 25mph!

It's nothing to do with speed (well it is...) it's the fact that on a bike your leg is trapped under 200kg of metal as it scrapes along the road, on a scooter your legs go through the middle bit, so they hit the road yes but it's no different to falling on the floor (at 30mph).

It's nothing to do with speed (well it is...) it's the fact that on a bike your leg is trapped under 200kg of metal as it scrapes along the road, on a scooter your legs go through the middle bit, so they hit the road yes but it's no different to falling on the floor (at 30mph).

I never touched the bike when I came off! The road however I did!!

Don't want to scare you but I had been riding dirt bikes from 8 years old and on the road from 14 (I grew up in Cyprus). I've had an XR500, NSR 250R, GSXR 1100R, Virago 750 and numerous scooters. The accident happened on my Aprillia Moto 6.5.

I can tell you that coming off a scooter and coming off a big bike at 20-30 mph is exactly the same thing. Hitting something on a scooter actually shakes you alot more that hitting it on a big bike.

Sods law was that I always wore my boots, and the night of the accident I was popping down the road and put my thick leather shoes on. My left ankle made contact on impact and snapped my foot sideways and tore the skin open exposing the broken bones.

Maybe I should post pics up;)

They are not expensive at all:

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/PROBIKER_Active_Motorcycle_Boots?sc=17&category=328902

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/PROBIKER_Traveller_Motorcycle_Boots?sc=17&category=328902

Very true doesnt matter what you hit on a bike its going to hurt all you can do is wear the proper gear and try minimise road rash. Broken bones will heal but your skin needs to stay on them lol Make sure your switched and in the right frame of mind for riding always have your wits about you. I never ride without my one piece leathers or 2 piece set you have to be suited and booted its just not worth the risk.

using the Supra as my sensible shopping car.

lol thats a first :)

fuel consumption is going to be higher on a 2stroke you got to buy the mixer oil for a start and if a kids had it, it will have been cheap rubbish, and the enige will have been thrashed

i'd get a little geared 4 stroke and go from there

fuel consumption is going to be higher on a 2stroke you got to buy the mixer oil for a start and if a kids had it, it will have been cheap rubbish, and the enige will have been thrashed

i'd get a little geared 4 stroke and go from there

There's no way I'm getting a 2 stroke!! Most of the 125cc scooters are 4 stroke anyway so it's the same as a geared bike just auto instead of manual.

I've never stopped collecting bikes. You'll learn that 2 strokers like the Honda NSR250 and the Aprilia RS250 are very collectible. Very light and flip in and out of corners like a MotoGP machine.

I know, I sold my 1993 black and silver NSR250R and have regretted it ever since:(