The mkiv Supra Owners Club

50" 3D Samsung Plasma and 3 sets of shutter glasses and Blue ray 3D player for £999

ManwithSupra

What you want is 2 of the NEC NP3250 projectors, set up in side by side stack producing 3D images. 10,000ansi lumens capable of projecting to a 4m wide 16:9 screen. Now thats proper cinema style 3D. Costs a bit more though...

We have considered 3D as a gimmick for work, but not going with it just yet.

I'd hold off anything 3d just yet. Next year will see the release of 'no glasses' 3d sets hitting the market. Your 'need to wear glasses screens' will become obsolete over night.

Serious? Got any evidence on this? Purely on a want to know basis, not a 'have a pop' at your reference.. I was tempted to look into a 3DTV to replace ours and I think i could hold off if it means no glasses..

On another note, I spotted Virgin Medias' 3D channel the other night. I knew my normal LCD wouldn't work but put it on.. It was basically 2 side by side pictures. The Mrs was expecting a blurry green and red tinted picture!

Serious? Got any evidence on this? Purely on a want to know basis, not a 'have a pop' at your reference.. I was tempted to look into a 3DTV to replace ours and I think i could hold off if it means no glasses..

On another note, I spotted Virgin Medias' 3D channel the other night. I knew my normal LCD wouldn't work but put it on.. It was basically 2 side by side pictures. The Mrs was expecting a blurry green and red tinted picture!

This is true mate, its called Autostereoscopic technology, quite clever but still in its early development stages.

They use Lenticular lens technology which is the same technology used in poster moving images .. for example

-r_2fuWUxR0

The the only thing is you dont get as much depth as you would with the current shutter glasses technology.

Here is one of the first screens, obviously you wont see it in 3D

xFgjsloidPA

What you want is 2 of the NEC NP3250 projectors, set up in side by side stack producing 3D images. 10,000ansi lumens capable of projecting to a 4m wide 16:9 screen. Now thats proper cinema style 3D. Costs a bit more though...

We have considered 3D as a gimmick for work, but not going with it just yet.

You say that....

I came up with the idea of using 4 HD projectors on a quad output video card, and then using a 4 screen setup, allowing multiple smaller screens or one big one or anything in between. Would make a hell of a media centre with a nice touch panel control.

wow, this seems like a great deal, must resist urge to buy! I think I'd prefer LCD though, but I guess it would be twice the price.

ive seen the lcd ones and they are very blurry compared to the plasma, all to do with the refresh rate of lcd's being crap.

Whether 3D is a gimmick or not, after I saw some footage I crumbled.

Bought the Panasonic 50VT20 and its simply stunning.

Bought it mainly for gaming. Black ops, Killzone 3, GT5 & Motorstorm Apocalypse all confirmed in 3D.

I've purchased Motorstorm 3D Rift of the PSN which is 10 courses re-mastered in 3D from Motorstorm Pacific Rift. The TV and 3D rift have been the best purchase I've made in a long time.

I had been reading up on a lot of 3D sets before hand and LCD's have too much crosstalk on the image so that really put me off (basically there's shadowing around the main image and in fast pace games makes it pretty pointless to be honest).

There is also pretty much no input lag on the 50VT20 which is also ideal for games.

As regards 3D TV's with no glasses, I read Toshiba have been the first to produce this and at the momoent is only in 12" and IIRC 20" screen size and you can only watch it from 3 angles before you lose the depth of the image.

Needless to say, I can not wait for Black Ops and GT5 this November to start making the most of the 3D capabilities :D