The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Be very careful on long haul flights

clarky666

Arrived back from Egypt at the end of June and after getting off the plan felt like i had a calf strain similar to playing football. A day or so later it was at the stage where i was struggling to walk without excruciating pain. Went into my local A + E and was referred to attend for an ultra sound scan on the calf the next day to determine if had contracted deep vein thrombosis on the calf. This came back all clear and i was given the thumbs up by the doctor and nurse saying there was no clot which i thought was very odd as i was in real pain and could not put full weight on my left leg. A couple of days later i started getting shooting pains across the front left of my chest which progressively got worse as i breathed in or out. Back into hospital i went, ended up being kept overnight and following a heart scan, ECG and chest x-ray all coming back as negative i was taken for a precautionary CT scan and told i had contracted multiple blood clots in my lungs - the initial DVT was missed as it had broken off and travelled round my body - which were causing this pulmonary embolism which blocked the main arteries into my lungs.

Ended up spending five days in hospital and now on drugs to thin my blood potentially for the rest of my days. I got a fair bit of a fright - mainly caused by not moving or getting up for a pee on a 5+ hour flight back from Sharm El Sheikh.

It's now three months on and i've just started back at work. Still get pain and absolutely puffed out knackered after doing just an easy day on reduced hours and slowly trying to build back up to something like full fitness.

So if you are going on any kind of flight make sure you and your family/friends keep moving about and don't sit on your bum for the duration; don't be naive and think you'll be ok as i'm only 26, took the same attitude and according to the consultant was very, very close to being a goner.

Good advice, and not to be too morbid, but I've seen quite a few young people who have died from PEs, so make sure you either drink lots and walk about (aspirin helps too as it thins the blood to reduce clotting), or wear compression socks

Arrived back from Egypt at the end of June and after getting off the plan felt like i had a calf strain similar to playing football. A day or so later it was at the stage where i was struggling to walk without excruciating pain. Went into my local A + E and was referred to attend for an ultra sound scan on the calf the next day to determine if had contracted deep vein thrombosis on the calf. This came back all clear and i was given the thumbs up by the doctor and nurse saying there was no clot which i thought was very odd as i was in real pain and could not put full weight on my left leg. A couple of days later i started getting shooting pains across the front left of my chest which progressively got worse as i breathed in or out. Back into hospital i went, ended up being kept overnight and following a heart scan, ECG and chest x-ray all coming back as negative i was taken for a precautionary CT scan and told i had contracted multiple blood clots in my lungs - the initial DVT was missed as it had broken off and travelled round my body - which were causing this pulmonary embolism which blocked the main arteries into my lungs.

Ended up spending five days in hospital and now on drugs to thin my blood potentially for the rest of my days. I got a fair bit of a fright - mainly caused by not moving or getting up for a pee on a 5+ hour flight back from Sharm El Sheikh.

It's now three months on and i've just started back at work. Still get pain and absolutely puffed out knackered after doing just an easy day on reduced hours and slowly trying to build back up to something like full fitness.

So if you are going on any kind of flight make sure you and your family/friends keep moving about and don't sit on your bum for the duration; don't be naive and think you'll be ok as i'm only 26, took the same attitude and according to the consultant was very, very close to being a goner.

Glad you are feeling better mate, scary stuff!

I fly to far east and back pretty much most of the year (at least 6 times!) and the shortest flight from london is the HK one which is about 12 hours :)

I'll make sure I dont spend the whole 12 hours watching film this time! :)

Yeah bud, that is one of the biggest risks of flying. Especially long haul. It honestly isn't drummed into people enough.

As a side note. I would have your blood/medication checked as your blood might in fact be TOO thin.... hence why you are still breathless etc.

I was going to say the last bit you said, every year for 16 years i used to go abroad on 9-10 hour flights, and was always told every 2-3 hours go up and down the plane, we were lucky we used to get good leg room in a l1011 tristar and a340 just for the record, but ive been on a few other airlines and they dont half cram people in when it comes to leg room, sorry to hear about that mate:(

Thanks guys.

Scott - still getting my INR blood level checked every fortnight and it's ok thankfully, hopefully off warfarin after the six months as it is a bit of a pain. Alcohol is basically been a no-go as with the blood already thinned before i drink i ended up with absolutely stinking hangovers akin to my younger days from justa quiet night in and three or four tinnies....horrible. And the doctors tried to scare me off with horror stories about people getting pissed on nights out, getting a smack and not noticing due to being sloshed and then dying due to internal bleeding with the blood being thin !

The whole ago thing spooked me too, everybody i speak too knows "an uncle" or "a friend of my dads" who's had the same thing happen or is on the warfarin but never anyone my age.

One plus side is i have enough 50mg tramadol pills stocked up to get a horse high :thanku::thanku::thanku:

bloody hell, I am so glad you are on the mend.

I have taken days to sort out what I want to do regarding a career opportunity and when I read this and the terrible news of Alan M, I realise get a grip and live for now.

I will certainly think again about sitting down for an entire long haul flight

alright bud, glad your on the mend and the Docs sorted you out. :thumbs:

Can you be Certain though, that this was the problem?? or was it coincidence that you got it just coming off the plane?? could anything else could have caused this, and the plane journey just added fuel to the fire so to speak??

alright bud, glad your on the mend and the Docs sorted you out. :thumbs:

Can you be Certain though, that this was the problem?? or was it coincidence that you got it just coming off the plane?? could anything else could have caused this, and the plane journey just added fuel to the fire so to speak??

Got the followup with the consultant next week and it's one of the things i am going to ask. Apart from being overweight i was said to be otherwise perfectly healthy.

I got sent to BUPA through work as the police have a private deal with them for occupational health stuff and one of the docs there said it could have been down to dehydration which could add up as i was floored for a day or so with the usual case of diarrohea from being in Egypt but made sure i had sank plenty of water and hardly touched any booze on the trip itself after that. Other thing is family history of clots but i don't think there is anything immediate on either of my parents' side.

Other thing i meant to add is make sure you have health insurance all documented and sorted for taking with you. Luckily enough (if you could call it lucky!) is that it happened on Egypt>Glasgow coming home at the end of my holiday, if it occurred on the outbound flight and i came down with that over there i dread to even think what might have happened:taped:

Sorry to hear that and to be on medication for life at such an early age too. I must say that I fly regularly here in China and the average flight time is 3-4 hours and I never get up and just stretch my legs occasionally. When I fly back to the UK the flight time is around the 12-13 hour period (unless I have a direct then close to 16) and again I never get up and just stretch the old legs from time to time. I have been flying now some 40 years doing the same, so maybe I'm lucky! but find many other passengers doing the same.

After reading this I am glad that I walk up an down the plane rubbing myself against the stewardess's whenever I get chance.....:sly:

Glad you are ok Clarkie. After our last flight to Turkey, I didn't get out of the seat for the duration (4 Hours). This could have been me......:blink:

H.