The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cycle maintenance

edge

The other half has just got her new pushbike

A Specialized Myka HT Expert 2011, that means nothing to me but maybe to you bike fans :)

I got her some lube :eyebrows: that's some teflon dry stuff for chains etc, is this stuff ok? and how often do i need to lube the chain and what other parts ?

And just some basic tips on up keep if you lot would be so kind

Thanks

The other half has just got her new pushbike

A Specialized Myka HT Expert 2011, that means nothing to me but maybe to you bike fans :)

I got her some lube :eyebrows: that's some teflon dry stuff for chains etc, is this stuff ok? and how often do i need to lube the chain and what other parts ?

And just some basic tips on up keep if you lot would be so kind

Thanks

It isn't that GT85 spray lube is it ?

How often and the type depends on what use the bike is going to get. I have different lubes for different times of year and environments. When shopping for lube you can see the environment that said lube is suited to be it dry or wet / muddy etc.

If she wants to get down and dirty she should clean and lube the chain after every ride ideally.

A good little tool is a chain cleaning device. Gets the worst of the muck off and then you can add the lube to keep the chain in tip top condition.

Dirt and grime stuck to the chain wears out parts fast, so keep the drivetrain and the rims clean and dry.

Have a spare set of brake and gear cables as well as spare inner tubes handy.

Again depending on use if its front and rear suspension see if it has any adjustments for the riders weight. You may need a shock pump for this so a bike shop may be the way to go.

It isn't that GT85 spray lube is it ?

No its just some stuff in a squeezy bottle, halfords own.

If she wants to get down and dirty she should clean and lube the chain after every ride ideally.

She will mostly be cycle path and field riding so nothing too hardcore just yet

A good little tool is a chain cleaning device. Gets the worst of the muck off and then you can add the lube to keep the chain in tip top condition.

Dirt and grime stuck to the chain wears out parts fast, so keep the drivetrain and the rims clean and dry.

Is it ok to wash with a car wash shampoo and hose down after and avoid bearings i assume?

Have a spare set of brake and gear cables as well as spare inner tubes handy.Its got them mineral oil brakes and lines with disk brakes but i cant see no where to maybe change the oil as it looks like a sealed unit?

Again depending on use if its front and rear suspension see if it has any adjustments for the riders weight. You may need a shock pump for this so a bike shop may be the way to go.

It has a lock out setting one one side of the front shock and a damper adjustment on the other but no suspension on the back

Thanks dude

You should be fine with the standard lube then.

For cleaning the bike car shampoo is fine. Don't need to avoid anything reaqlly as it should all be sealed and greased when you purchased it, although not always the case !

The chain will need a degreaser, similar to alloy wheel cleaner to get the crap off as the grease combines with the dirt and wont rinse off.

The sort of tool i was talking about for the chain is this, will save you loads of time and effort, just fill it with degreaser then attach and pedal:

I remove my chain on a weekly basis and clean it thoroughly with a couple of small brushes in a bowl of Gunk or Muc-Off degreaser. I clean all the cr@p off the cassette on the back wheel also before rinsing the degreaser off (boiling water does this especially well), relubing and refitting the chain. I use a ceramic lube which I've found to be the best I've used, and is only a little more expensive than most others.

Dry lube like the teflon one you referred to is ok providing the bike isn't being used too much in the wet. In bad conditions it will wash off easier, but in the dry it has the advantage that dirt/dust etc doesn't stick to it as badly as with a wet lube. (Handy if you're riding lots of singletrack where it can be really dusty)

Wet lube in dry, dusty conditions will attract all sorts of muck to stick to it, but it's the better one to use in bad weather. The ceramic lube that I use is a wet lube and I'll use it all winter.

If you intend taking the chain off, get some PowerLinks first. Once fitted, this allows you to remove the chain without the use of a rivet extractor. (You can then split the chain by hand) Modern 9 and 10 speed chains are so narrow that refitting a rivet after having removed it will mean you stand a good chance of the link coming apart the first time you put it under real pressure, so PowerLinks are just about the only way to go if you ever want to remove the chain.

For cleaning the bike, car shampoo is fine. The only bit I'd say is don't use a pressure washer on the bike as you might push some moisture under the fork dust-seals which may eventually damage the oil seals. A normal hose should be just fine.

I don't have a pic to hand of my mtb, but it's pretty much as clean as the one in the above pic.

But I know I'm a bit more obsessive than most....

;)

Back in my day, when 7 or 8 speed hyperglide was the future, if you popped out a chain rivet, you had to push it all the way out and use a special black one to replace it as the plate hole would be enlarged slightly, which meant a limited number of removals for the chain. I know you use Powerlinks but what do Shimano use for the 9 and 10 speed chains now?

Not sure what Shimano officially advise for their 9 and 10 speed chains, but I use powerlinks on a 9-speed chain on my mtb without any problems whatsoever.

Just another thing I thought of in response to the OP's question about chain maintenance - it's worth remembering if you ever lube your chain with anything in an aerosol can, when you spray the chain, don't ever point the spray inwards, towards the centre of the rear wheel. If you do this, you can end up getting some of the spray onto the brake disc on the opposite side of the wheel. Just a few revolutions of the disc when it's got lubricant on it can contaminate your brake pads enough that you'll have to replace them. (As well as having to thoroughly clean the disc) Just worth remembering!

:thumbs:

• 1 month later...

Got myself a chain cleaner with attached can of spray that really gets the old grease and crud off. The chain and "cogs" looked very gunged up and this stuff with chain cleaning device really did the trick but after cleaning it thoroughly it only needs a quick wash after and a quick squirt of lube.

I will be looking to get some wet lube like the ceramic stuff as per a previous post (any brands in particular?) as i seem to be doing alot more miles than i thought (30 miles yesterday, 20 miles last sunday and about 20 odd mid week) and the weather is getting crap now.

Also find that a quick hose down and a wipe off with some gt85 brings it up like new aswel.

and makes the shed smell lush :D

Thanks for the input everyone.

Got some wet lube today :D

BUT now my gears are jumping on the rear at free will. Will this need adjusting of the derailers ? All teeth seem ok and not worn but im not sure how to check for a knackered chain though.

Was fine when i got it and everything worked perfectly but i have been on a few outings and it started after a 30 mile cross country ride over the weekend.

Could be cable stretch, 90% of new bikes will need gears adjusting after a few rides, thats why most places offer a 6 week service.

Could also check that the rear mech and drop out is perfectly aligned if you have fallen off or lean the bike up against the gear side, only need to be a fraction out and your geasr will mess up.

DONT forget you onyl need a tiny amount of lube and it should be on the inner faces only, not all over the chain