The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Silly question but trying to settle an argument

paddy155

When re-newing an oil filter after an oil change. Is hand tight enough or should a chain rachet be used ?

It depends on whether you can get a good grip on it with your hands to tighten it properly.

I personally don't believe in the 3/4 turn after gasket has made contact with the filter housing. I tighten it until it wont tighten any further by hand. If I can't get full purchase on it by hand I'll use a wide strap I made from a seatbelt

It depends on whether you can get a good grip on it with your hands to tighten it properly.

I personally don't believe in the 3/4 turn after gasket has made contact with the filter housing. I tighten it until it wont tighten any further by hand. If I can't get full purchase on it by hand I'll use a wide strap I made from a seatbelt

Any experience reason as to why? I've been doing basic services on my car since day one and I've never done anything more than 1 hand tight. Granted I don't do the 3/4 turn thing, I just go until it stops, but there is no reason to blitz the thing on there.... it's going nowhere.

I agree. We usally just give it a little nick with a filter cup.

Hopefully you were wrong before going anywhere near your car?

Why? A pinch too tight is better than not tight enough. Not exactly going to result in a disaster.

As long as you don't get it on so tight (using a filter wrench/strap) that you can't get the thing off again.

I actually have had a filter blow off when it wasn't tight enough on a car that I couldn't get a good enough grip on the filter. I won't be letting that happen again. 'Engineers tight' is about right. Just nip it - I guess most of us know from experience when it's really tight enough.

Why? A pinch too tight is better than not tight enough. Not exactly going to result in a disaster.

As long as you don't get it on so tight (using a filter wrench/strap) that you can't get the thing off again.

I actually have had a filter blow off when it wasn't tight enough on a car that I couldn't get a good enough grip on the filter. I won't be letting that happen again. 'Engineers tight' is about right. Just nip it - I guess most of us know from experience when it's really tight enough.

My first filter change on the supra was a nightmare due to overtightening. The filter looked like a corset by the time I was done getting it off. I also had to remove lots of bits out of the way and it was a real PITA. The previous owner alleged it had only been on a short amount of time too (I don't take chances and always service a new car), would hate to have seen it properly settled into place lol. I hold overtightening a filter in the same regard as using an impact gun to put wheels on.

You're right though, if you have savvy you can feel what is right. I know there is no way in hell my filter will ever blow off. I always keep the filter as clean as possible and I have hands like shovels so a 1 handed tighten is plenty for me :D

Any experience reason as to why? I've been doing basic services on my car since day one and I've never done anything more than 1 hand tight. Granted I don't do the 3/4 turn thing, I just go until it stops, but there is no reason to blitz the thing on there.... it's going nowhere.

You should heed some of your own advice Scott and read a thread properly before posting.

You are basing your answer simply on servicing a supra which, to be honest, is easier than most to work around.

The OP never stated it was a Supra oil filter he was talking about, the thread is even in Off Topic.

I believe said hand tight is fine.

The only time I use a wide strap is when I can't get my hand firmly around the filter I'm trying to tighten. Which, I can assure you, being a mechanic by trade is a regular occurance.

I hope that answers your question on experience.