The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cuba On Holiday

Jurgen-Jm-Imports

Guest Sakura

I went to Varadero a few years ago. One of those all inclusive complexes. I didn't like it - it was too stereotyped and you could have been anywhere in the Caribbean (or anywhere hot with palm trees really). Boring.

Havana was another world, absolutely amazing and the most fascinating place I have ever been. It's one of the few places I would visit again and again. A fifties time-warp full of history and culture. It is very under-rated, and often criticised - usually by people who haven't been there. :rolleyes:

We went last year to Varedero; we enjoyed it; fab beach, food a little iffy at times, Havana looked like it had been blown up but surreal. Weather was fab, music fab; semi naked ladies fab; cubra libras hmmmmm.

enjoy it

Went to Cayo Coco, absolutely beautiful, fantastic beaches. Loved it and want to go back. We did a Catamaran day trip, snorkeling etc, although the beer was free, so after a while the only movement I had was putting my head over the side to throw up :D

Been twice now. With our boys (aged 14 & 12) in '95, did a week touring & week in Varadero, had a fantastic time.

Went again last Feb again to Varadero to adults only AI resort. VERY good value for the money, especially compared to the rest of the Caribbean.

You have to bear in mind it's a poor country, so tipping is very much appreciated (take lots of 1 dollar bills, assuming Castro doesn't go ahead with his planned banning of the use of the dollar in the meantime!). Take any necessary medication (cold tabs, throat lozenges, antisceptic cream etc) and sun creams as it's not freely available there. Remember American Express credit cards and Travellers' cheques are NOT accepted anywhere. 10 years ago we took cheapo pens & pencils as they were in very short supply in the schools; not sure if this is still the case, perhaps someone else can advise? We were also warned that DVD players would be confiscated (even in a laptop) at the airport, but we took ours and did not a problem. :rulez:

Have a great time!!! :lalala:

take lots of 1 dollar bills, assuming Castro doesn't go ahead with his planned banning of the use of the dollar in the meantime!).

He's already done this, I think it came into force at the very backend of last year.

I went to the other end of the island, near Holguin about a year and a half ago. Beautiful place. People are great. Agree about taking things like pencils etc for the kids. They love it, but don't advertise the factthat you have them with you or you'll be forever plagued by a crowd of them!

Also agree about taking your own medication for dodgy tummy occasions. Although if you're going to an all-inclusive complex, we found the on-site doctors to be very good.

Take your own snorkelling flippers and mask too if you can.

Enjoy!

• 2 months later...

Supposed to be awesome for Scuba - get on a try-dive if you haven't done it before. Then if you get the bug, you'll have a new 'kit-sport' to sink your hard-earned into. I got really into the underwater photography in the Caribbean earlier this year.