The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tube Strike

Shane

Once more they are on strike. What a pain. Just walked from St Pancrass to the office in SW1, taken about an hour and the worse thing is knowing I probably need to do the same again this evening. Normally I would avoid coming into the office on strike days but had to be here today:( Now of course I wish I had signed up to the bike scheme so I could have used one of them. At least it wasnt raining:) Anyone else affected?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Took me twice as long this morning (80 min instead of 40) to get to work. Was nice to take the bus though - got to see the sun and pretty Citygirls along the way, so a bit of silver lining :)

You know I was going to take the bus but there was literally hundreds of people queuing and to be honest there didnt seem to be as many busses as normal along my route, despite what TFL say about extra. There was a 73 bendy along Oxford street that was packed and I was making better progress on foot than it was.

Registered for a bike key now so hopefully by next time I will be ok. Hope you get home ok!

You know I was going to take the bus but there was literally hundreds of people queuing and to be honest there didnt seem to be as many busses as normal along my route, despite what TFL say about extra. There was a 73 bendy along Oxford street that was packed and I was making better progress on foot than it was.

Registered for a bike key now so hopefully by next time I will be ok. Hope you get home ok!

Yeah, I am lucky (?) that I start work quite early and miss the peak hour. I also get on near the start of the bus routes so usually get a space/seat.

Of course, comparing footspeed to Oxford Street traffic is an unfair comparison because it's so congested on the road through there.

I'm not too worried about getting home - however, I have to change locations in 30 min from Mayfair to Bank which will be.. fun.

Once more they are on strike. What a pain. Just walked from St Pancrass to the office in SW1, taken about an hour and the worse thing is knowing I probably need to do the same again this evening. Normally I would avoid coming into the office on strike days but had to be here today:( Now of course I wish I had signed up to the bike scheme so I could have used one of them. At least it wasnt raining:) Anyone else affected?

Where in SW1 do you work? I am in St James's (Behind the Ritz)

Where in SW1 do you work? I am in St James's (Behind the Ritz)

Oh not too far from you then. Our office at Grosvenor Place on the corner of Grosvenor Crescent, directly opposite the Australian War memorial thingy, and have a workshop round the corner in Cadogan Place opposite the Carlton Towers (Jeramiyah)

You work near St Pauls, if I remember correctly? Where do you live/drive from?
No that was me who works near St Pauls, well main office is there but I work in Chancery Lane near the Old Bailey court.

Luckily the DLR was running for, even though it was slow. The buses were packed out and would not stop at the bus stops!

I got on a bus & then the guy goes we are terminating after 2 more stops, so I walked the rest.

Them bikes are horrid, I smirk at the people who try riding them going uphill :D

If I wasn't fasting I would have cycled in but even that would have been a mission with the amount of traffic on road.

No that was me who works near St Pauls, well main office is there but I work in Chancery Lane near the Old Bailey court.

Luckily the DLR was running for, even though it was slow. The buses were packed out and would not stop at the bus stops!

I got on a bus & then the guy goes we are terminating after 2 more stops, so I walked the rest.

Them bikes are horrid, I smirk at the people who try riding them going uphill :D

If I wasn't fasting I would have cycled in but even that would have been a mission with the amount of traffic on road.

Abz you must work very near me. I am at the Merrill Lynch building near St. Pauls.

I for one loved the strike. Had a nice lie in and came in 40 mins late :D

Would those barclays bike hire be an idea?

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/14808.aspx

Yes one of them would be great, we have a stand about 10 metres from our block, but you have to register in advance, as I said earlier, foolishly I didnt. They haven't launched the "casual" user scheme yet and although I have registered today I have to wait for the key to arrive.

Its good news for some, as we are refurbing the blackwall tunnel, tfl will not close the tunnel on strike days so the lads all get a night off with pay:D

Keep 'em striking :D

Yes one of them would be great, we have a stand about 10 metres from our block, but you have to register in advance, as I said earlier, foolishly I didnt. They haven't launched the "casual" user scheme yet and although I have registered today I have to wait for the key to arrive.

Those bike stands are always full at peak times hence you can't dock your bikes. Every morning at 9am in the city I see people waiting for people to dock as there are no spaces. Not convinced they are reliable for that reason.

Keep 'em striking :D

Those bike stands are always full at peak times hence you can't dock your bikes. Every morning at 9am in the city I see people waiting for people to dock as there are no spaces. Not convinced they are reliable for that reason.

You know what, that's a valid observation, the one outside our building is always full and until you said that I had always thought that was a good thing...

You know what, that's a valid observation, the one outside our building is always full and until you said that I had always thought that was a good thing...

Exactly what I had thought until I caught on to people stressing looking at their watches at 9am.

They need more docking space. And likewise the reverse is true at the end of the working day. 17:10 or 18:10 all the bikes are gone and I guess the same problem exists at liverpool street/waterloo where there is a race to dock your bike before they fill up.

Very silly.:rolleyes:

Abz you must work very near me. I am at the Merrill Lynch building near St. Pauls.

I for one loved the strike. Had a nice lie in and came in 40 mins late :D

Ah, not far from you I am at Denton Wilde Sapte which is just above Thames City Link Station! We should meet up for lunch one day!

You are not the only one who had a lay in ;) :D

There is one on every corner up our way (E1)... just ride around for a bit and you'll find one :)

btw I got my key the day after I ordered, then activated it on-line :guitar:

There is one on every corner up our way (E1)... just ride around for a bit and you'll find one :)

btw I got my key the day after I ordered, then activated it on-line :guitar:

Well at least I will be a bit more prepared for next time once I have it.

Looks as though if I walk to Tot Ct road which is about half way the Northern line is OK so can get tube to Euston and walk down to St P. So hopefully only need to walk a couple of miles tonight.

Exactly what I had thought until I caught on to people stressing looking at their watches at 9am.

They need more docking space. And likewise the reverse is true at the end of the working day. 17:10 or 18:10 all the bikes are gone and I guess the same problem exists at liverpool street/waterloo where there is a race to dock your bike before they fill up.

Very silly.:rolleyes:

At Waterloo they have about 3 or 4 guys there from 5pm onwards and they take the bikes for you as there are no available docking stations. I guess at least this is one way to deal with the problem but definitely not a long-term solution!