The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Camera Advice

Stonkin

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah sorry, didn't realise it was a member only section. That was for a vg cond Canon 40D and kit lens (18-55).

Cheapest new DSLR body with lens is around £350 for 1000D and kit lens but you'd get a £200 deal on a 2nd hand 400D with kit lens.

So if i'm looking around £350 with lense for a new DSLR, the a450 for £313 is blimin good isnt it? Or am i missing something :)

Think i would prefer to buy new with something of this kinda value, just for peace of mind, warranty etc

got a nikon D 80 , nice bit of kit , and going to a local club tonight for the first time to pick up tips on how to get the best out of it .

cost me £400 with a 18-105 nikkor lens , which was brand new .

as said mate get a decent one now which you can add to as you develop, rather than having to get another one later

Hi Christian.

While I agree with the guys' suggestions, you don't have to necessarily go the DSLR route.

You said yourself that the main purpose is to photograph your work.

A decent bridge camera (£250 ish - Pany FZ28/38) on a tripod would do that for you.

In good light, there's not a massive difference in image quality between DSLRS and bridges when viewed on a pc monitor.

In low light, there most certainly is. However, you don't need super high ISO capability either. As mentioned, just use a tripod and it will expose a bit longer @ 100 ISO

Even in good light, if you use a tripod with a bridge camera, you will get splendid tack sharp images.

Also, as your work is normally static, you equally do not require a high frame per second rate.

Right then, I was off to get a 550D, but now I fancy the 7D :D

Hi Rob, i think my only issue with spending around 250 odd on a bridge camera is that for not a huge amount more i could get a dslr, which could be added to if i should ever want to, seems a bit more future proof.

The A450 really is at the end of my budget at £313 (+ bag and memory card) If i am going to get a dslr i cant seem to find a better deal than this model. They seem to be priced a lot higher than that elsewhere, just Comet are doing a good deal if buying online and collect in store.

Will this camera achieve what i want it for? as i think i'm pretty much decided to go out and get it today

Hi Rob, i think my only issue with spending around 250 odd on a bridge camera is that for not a huge amount more i could get a dslr, which could be added to if i should ever want to, seems a bit more future proof.

The A450 really is at the end of my budget at £313 (+ bag and memory card) If i am going to get a dslr i cant seem to find a better deal than this model. They seem to be priced a lot higher than that elsewhere, just Comet are doing a good deal if buying online and collect in store.

Will this camera achieve what i want it for? as i think i'm pretty much decided to go out and get it today

It will do far more than you want it to. A guy I work with has it, or a very similar model, and he is very happy with it and enjoys photography as a minor hobby.

Cheers Scott. Well look out for another post on how do i get the best from it :)

Even if it is a bit more than i need, or am capable of using, for the price it seems silly to get a lesser model?

It's one of those things bud. They aren't the same type of camera, or even made for the same type of photography. Granted they both take photos but the bridge cameras are far more compact than the DSLRs. They can become very cumbersome at times.

I still have a compact camera for taking snaps and I probably use it more than my SLR. The SLR comes out for baby photos, including the car lol.

Good for you, and yes in terms of future proof and having a camera you can grow into...a DSLR is the way :thumbs:

I would recommend getting one purely to protect the lens. Very expensive if you get a scratch :D

Remember that keeping the lens hood on offers great lens protection too :)

Will do :)

Damn, need a tripod now to! Any recommendations there? They were about £99 from Comet. Must be able to get cheaper

I have a Manfrotto which I like very much.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-190XPROB-Tripod-Legs-Only/dp/B000MQFQU6

I'm sure you can get some for under £100, but what I would say is don't get the cheapest - you don't want it falling over all by itself - with your nice shiny camera and lens going for a burton.

And unless you're going hiking for miles, I feel you would not need the pricy carbon fibre ones either.

You'll need a nice ball head attachment too, so you can easily move the camera to the required shooting positions whilst on board your tripod.

Anyway enjoy your new camera.

And if there's anthing else you need to know, feel free fo PM Scott :D

Only just seen this thread Christian, you reminded me of my DSLR which I hardly used.

Would have sorted it out cheap for you ;)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=203821&highlight=pentax

I agree with LBM, for the shots you are planning on taking I don't think you need a DSLR, they can be fiddly at times as you would rather take shots in manual mode than using the auto functions. If you wanted some quick, simple clear shots then I would have recommended a small compact Canon camera (Which you can use with one hand, great for hand shots!). My missus has one, I'll find out which model it is, but check out the photo's which I took while I was in Morocco!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=465961&id=545670264&l=237a09ff59

Edit - I am so slow :)

Hi Abz, i did see your sale thread but presumed it must have been long sold by now.

Its all bought now anyway lol

Cant wait to get using it, battery still charging and the manual is confusing me already :)

Will check your FB link later, cant see it where i am at the mo.

Hi Abz, i did see your sale thread but presumed it must have been long sold by now.

Its all bought now anyway lol

Cant wait to get using it, battery still charging and the manual is confusing me already :)

Will check your FB link later, cant see it where i am at the mo.

I had quite a few offers but then I forgot about it waiting for people to get back to me! Hence why you reminded me!

Good purchase, I can see you pacing the flooring waiting for it to charge! Have fun, it can get addictive! :D

Apparently i need to buy a UV filter to stop the lens from getting scratched?

Do these alter the pics in anyway?

What do i need to buy? I'm on the Amazon site at the mo so would be easier if i could add something to the order from there. I believe its 55mm i need.

Cheers :)