The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Camera Advice

Stonkin

I'm after a new camera and need some advice as this is not an area i know anything about :)

Its primary use would be to take pictures of cars, occasional personal stuff, but mainly cars. Up till now i have been using a cheap £80 pocket size thing.

I would like to step up to something a bit better, but i dont feel it would be worth me spending £400 odd when i am not a photographer and wouldnt benefit from all the features that would probably just confuse me.

So, what would people recommend? I also wondered if anyone who perhaps is into photography has just upgraded and is perhaps looking to sell their old one. I would rather have a good nic second hand one which is a good model than a brand new cheaper one.

Cheers

Christian

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would recommend going with new unless the camera hasn't had a great deal of use. DSLR's have a life expectancy, XXXXX no of shots before the shutter dies. This was the main reason I decided to buy new, so that I knew exactly how long to expect the camera to last.

The canon powershots are seen to be pretty good if you don't fancy an SLR..

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5592740/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C14419436/c_2/3%7C14419436%7CDigital+cameras+and+packages%7C14419441/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419441%7CDigital+cameras%7C14419442.htm

If you fancy an SLR the 1000D is a pretty good entry level...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5592829/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C14419436/c_2/3%7C14419436%7CDigital+SLR+cameras+and+lenses%7C14419497/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419497%7CDigital+SLR+cameras%7C14419500.htm

You will be able to find these cameras cheaper than Argos. Just posting them up for quickness :)

Cheers both :) I never realised about the life expectancy thing on the shutters. I'll have a read of those links now Scott.

Havent got an exact figure on what i would want to spend, but the powershot is probably about the absolute max i was thinking of. Apart from the megapixel being high i dont really know what other features i should be looking for on the specs

I am using a 1000d and even though it is alright its not the best, if i were buying again i would choose the 500d or 450d, although a touch dearer they are alot better.

I know you say you arn't a photographer but believe me, you will start getting into it. Would also highlight your quality work even better with something decent ;)

remember, MP is all about print size, and bragging rights of many manufacturers

rather than spending like 300 on a entry level SLR, spend 80-100 on a old canon d30 professional SLR (800quid new) in 2002

its only 3.5mp, but as long as you are not bothered about printing your images larger than a3 it would rinse any point and shoot out there.

example: all you would need a lens, get a cheap kit lens from ebay for 50£

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CANON-D30-BODY-BG-ED3-GRIP-DOUBLE-BATTERY-CHARGER-/130426748109?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item1e5e0a3ccd

Cheers Neil. This is like choosing to buy a supra, knowing nothing and going out looking. Something i just wouldnt do, always like to do research first :)

The camera i always used was a guys who i lived with, now i've moved its really time i had my own. Like you say, i want something that will take good pics of the work i do, but not something i will constantly have to keep changing settings on to get the best from it. If thats possible.

I certainly wouldnt be bothered about printing images Ric, wouldnt say i never would, but thats not what i would want it for. Just uploading to the laptop.

i would look into the d30's it then, still has a auto mode for when you are just wanting to take a shot, depending on which lens you get for it, you will have some zoom.

SLR's optics are always going to produce better quality images than a point and shoot

And when you are feeling a little frisky it has all the manual modes for you.

BTW, its not my ebay sale :)

Cheers Neil. This is like choosing to buy a supra, knowing nothing and going out looking. Something i just wouldnt do, always like to do research first :)

The camera i always used was a guys who i lived with, now i've moved its really time i had my own. Like you say, i want something that will take good pics of the work i do, but not something i will constantly have to keep changing settings on to get the best from it. If thats possible.

Thats the thing though, you really need to account for different light etc.

It does make it all worth while matey, a few hours spent learning the camera can make a world of difference, i use full auto and take sh*te pics, my dad can use my camera properly and take a pic of the same thing with various settings and make it look 100 times better.

I suppose everyone has different needs for one though.

The Canon model is the 30D, not D30 (that's an old Nikon model), just to avoid confusion. I'd agree though, that the 30D is still a better camera than the 400/450D, 1000D models provided you're not printing huge.

You can pick up a really well looked after 30D from a photography forum (http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums is one of the better ones) which should still have plenty of life left. Although manufacturers set a recommended max actuations, in reality I've never seen a camera fail as a result of shutter damage through use. I know of some folk using a 1D Mk3 well past 500000 actuations where the limit is 150000 recommended.

Cheers Neo. Is there any proof on cameras of how much use they have had?

On some higher end models (1D series and possibly 5D/5D Mk2) you can check via software but most of the lower models you can only really tell by the filename (IMG_1000.CR2) allocated to a shot (although this can be reset or even changed I believe) or where some cameras keep track of them in a specific EXIF location. There are EXIF "readers" that can let you see every thing it contains like "Opanda".

You need to find "Total Number of Shutter Releases for Camera" = XXXXXX

Nope, i highly doubt so Scott. I wouldnt be wanting to alter the images in anyway. Just want to show my work nicely.

Someone has recommended i shouldge something with a high ISO, as i could be shooting in low light conditions at times.

Have been searching and found the Sony Alpha DSLR A450 for £313, any thoughts on that?

Cheapest i have found the P100 for is £265. Still seem to keep looking at the Sony A450. Camera Price Buster has got them for £313 from Comet, yet they seem to average around £480 elsewhere.

Just seems for not a huge amount more you are getting a more modern camera with better features.

I have a P90 which i can highly recommend to learn with, however you are restricted with being unable to change the lens so even with a long reach you have a small window to capture images in (if you follow what i mean) i find myself wanting to step up to a DSLR now , however i digress a Bridge camera is a excellent tool to learn with whatever make you go for .

Thats why i was thinking against the P100. Although i'm not planning on buying new lenses, it would be nice to have the option to.

I cant see that link Neo as not a member, which model was it? £400 is too much really, i started this morning planning about £250. Especially as i will need to factor in a memory card and bag. Already i'm starting to accept the £313 for the Sony A450 (+ card and bag)

Even the cheapest DSLR must be the very latter end of £200?