The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Holy Wars

Matt H

This film is surely going to ruffle feathers. Take two of the most extreme fundamentalists from the Christian and Islamic faiths and make a documentary film about their opposing, radical views. Lob in some scare mongering and you've got 'Holy Wars'.

At this point I'd like to link to a trailer, but I can't access video content from work so IMDb will have to do! Please do watch the trailer though, it’s unbelievable!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1014799/

On another note, Steven Hawking denounces God (sort of)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11172158

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone seen Four Lions? Funny stuff

Seen the trailor. It does look funny, but perhaps a little close to home with the london bombings for some.

I thought Hawking had previously hinted that there must have been a creator of some kind to make the observation that resultantly collapsed the probability wave that initiated the universe.

I remember something like that, but I've not had a look to see if it's true.

Science (or scientist in this case) making a u-turn yet again and not exactly on a new discovery just pondering on an old one. I was excited thinking it was the former. His analysis also leaves many questions outstanding.

And who created gravity?

The bbc headline is a bit misleading too; where does Stephen Hawking say there is no God? Obviously he would never give such a decisive answer unless he had compelling and undeniable proof.

He adds: "Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing."

"Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist.

Does everybody agree with the view that the universe is created from nothing? I have never believed in spontaneous creation as a source for our existence. To me, rather inevitably, it leaves many questions unanswered.

Is this Holy Wars documentary out by any chance? Looks.interesting.

Why does it have to be 'created'?

Like I mentioned at the end of my post, I just don't believe in something created out of nothing.

To me its like believing in magic. "Oh and all of a sudden we have gravity and the rules of cosmology and even time and space appear 'all of sudden'". It's akin to having a religious belief in the default context in that you just place your faith in it. Spontaneous creation from nothing is not a fact btw otherwise all our unanswerable questions would be answered.

And who created gravity?

I always find your posts very interesting and well written. I wish I could express myself the way you do :)

What if the "who" becomes a "what". The "what" could be a series of variables, constants, events, etc that we do not fully understand (yet?). Why do we have to play the God card everytime we don't understand something?

Like I mentioned at the end of my post, I just don't believe in something created out of nothing.

To me its like believing in magic. "Oh and all of a sudden we have gravity and the rules of cosmology and even time and space appear 'all of sudden'". It's akin to having a religious belief in the default context in that you just place your faith in it. Spontaneous creation from nothing is not a fact btw otherwise all our unanswerable questions would be answered.

There is a world of difference between a scientific hypothesis (gravity creation) and gospel (all religion). One you are invited to shoot down or prove using experiments, maths, etc. or provide another workable hypothesis. The other you are forced to believe or be murdered as an unbeliever :shrug:

Please don't insult science by comparing the more esoteric edges of knowledge with default god hokum.

There is a world of difference between a scientific hypothesis (gravity creation) and gospel (all religion). One you are invited to shoot down or prove using experiments, maths, etc. or provide another workable hypothesis. The other you are forced to believe or be murdered as an unbeliever :shrug:

Please don't insult science by comparing the more esoteric edges of knowledge with default god hokum.

And here we have the religious believer of science.

As for your rather moronic comment regarding being forced to believe or be murdered as an unbeliever, were you not aware of the fact that it was Islamic scientists who measured the circumference of the Earth whilst the rest of the planet was content with the notion of a flat Earth, who compiled and formulated what we now know as algebra and made ground breaking strides in hydrology and medical science? Not to mention, creating the first university.

The irony is, we were having a good peaceful discussion here until you came along wielding your e-pitchfork.

Honestly, how did you become a mod?

Anyways guys, ignoring raging keyboard warriors aside, it would be good to have a peaceful debate for once. Let's not have mods intervene or lock this thread. Well proper mods, not Ian C.

What / who then created god?

Man? :innocent:

That's exactly what im hinting too; when discussing the creation of the universe its inevitable that religious notions are imported.

In fact, Stephen Hawking said so himself;

"I think there are clearly religious implications when you start to discuss the origins of the universe. There must be religious overtones."

Stephen Hawking - A brief history of time.

were you not aware of the fact that it was Islamic scientists who measured the circumference of the Earth whilst the rest of the planet was content with the notion of a flat Earth

Are you talking about Eratosthenes the Greek scholar?

who compiled and formulated what we now know as algebra

Diophantus.

made ground breaking strides in hydrology

Greeks again probably, although Marcus Vitruvius had a hand in that.

and medical science?

Probably the Egyptians, but obviously Hippocrates.

Not to mention, creating the first university.

Well the word University comes from Latin doesn't it?

As for your rather moronic comment regarding being forced to believe or be murdered as an unbeliever, were you not aware of the fact that it was Islamic scientists who measured the circumference of the Earth whilst the rest of the planet was content with the notion of a flat Earth, who compiled and formulated what we now know as algebra and made ground breaking strides in hydrology and medical science? Not to mention, creating the first university.

You'll find that most of the things you mentioned where already mastered by my Greek forefathers about a millennium before Islamic scientists. Hydrology, Greek word, circumference of the earth was calculated by Eratosthenes who coincidently created the longitude and latitude system and Geography as we know it (again a Greek word sorry). Medical science, most of the terms are Greek, oh and the Hippocratic Oath and as for the young Athenians, they were already enjoying University life back in 700BC.

And here we have the religious believer of science.

The irony is, we were having a good peaceful discussion here until you came along wielding your e-pitchfork.

Honestly, how did you become a mod?

Anyways guys, ignoring raging keyboard warriors aside, it would be good to have a peaceful debate for once. Let's not have mods intervene or lock this thread. Well proper mods, not Ian C.

Ban him Ian :D