The mkiv Supra Owners Club

That cat didn't get the worst of it...

Attero

You lot do realise that drowning was an acceptable way to dispose of unwanted puppies and kittens in the "civilized" UK until comparatively recently don't you? Now we know better.

If your imaginative and sick punishments had been applied 50 or 60 years ago in Britain half of you would never have been born.

Frankly, I'm more worried about some of the people who have posted in this thread than I am about some anonymous east European who probably just needs educating... and a local version of the PDSA.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You lot do realise that drowning was an acceptable way to dispose of unwanted puppies and kittens in the "civilized" UK until comparatively recently don't you? Now we know better.

If your imaginative and sick punishments had been applied 50 or 60 years ago in Britain half of you would never have been born.

Frankly, I'm more worried about some of the people who have posted in this thread than I am about some anonymous east European who probably just needs educating... and a local version of the PDSA.

That is true. My girlfriend also said the same thing. When people got a voilent pup, they would just throw it away like this girl has done. It would save the costs of having to get the vets to do it.

I find most vegetarians/vegans to be hypocrites. Discuss.

Because they come across so all mighty on one particular subject, but there's thosands of other flaws in human nature which they exploit on a daily basis?

Or because they kill loads of flys with there cars each summer but they still drive!! Poor glow bugs :(

.. some anonymous east European who probably just needs educating.

Agree with the whole hypocrisy argument about the majority of us being meat eaters, makes sense. Although it will usually just break down in to a discussion about society and expectations.

For example, in our culture, specific animals are born, bred and raised for their meat (i.e. cows). So the expectation is that they will eventually find their way onto our plates which, however much we try to ignore the fact, requires them to be 'dispatched' in some way.

Dogs (and cats etc) however, are born and bred as pets (in our culture). There is no expectation that they will be eaten or butchered, hence the outrage when something like this happens.

Although I am not sure that 'educating' her will help. I may be wrong, but I think it is natural human behaviour, regardless of who you are, to feel some kind of emotion over a tiny, helpless little puppy. Especially when they are crying like that. The same goes for any new-born animal to be honest, be it a pet or an animal that is bred for purpose. This woman/girl showed no emotion at all. She was cold, calculated, callous and seemed amused by the whole thing. As did whoever was filming. I am not sure that you can "educate" that out of someone!

I am fully aware that this argument wouldn't stand up in some parts of the world where animals that we regard as pets are bred for food, and that is fair enough, it's their culture (not saying I like it, but that's a by-product of MY culture). But it seems like this girl is European and, to my knowledge, the culture across Europe when it comes to these matters is pretty much the same (with perhaps the exception of horses which we don't eat in the UK).

So, in my opinion, she's evil ... burn her!

Surely if everyone was vegan there'd be no chickens or cows any more and they'd become extinct?

Also, it doesn't matter what was an acceptable way to kill a puppy 60 years ago, nowadays we slaughter animals in the most humane way possible, and recently have started keeping them and breeding them in better and better environments as well, so to murder a puppy or a cow in an inhumane way gets the same sort of reaction from most people.

Incidentally, we are the top animal on the planet, so I'm not one of these nutters who suggests she should have her arms pulled off and stuck up her arse or anything, she's a wrongun no doubt but drowning puppies is hardly worthy of a death sentence.

Incidentally, we are the top animal on the planet, so I'm not one of these nutters who suggests she should have her arms pulled off and stuck up her arse or anything, she's a wrongun no doubt but drowning puppies is hardly worthy of a death sentence.

But the whole point people are making is that its done in a most cruel, callous and inhumane way, and IMO we don't need people with that sort of attitude in this world!

And before we change the subject, yes there are also so many more people who do a lot worse, that also are not needed.

I'm with Red... if you going to eat some types of animals, but then get upset when some other types of animals die.... then it's a fairly flawed argument.

Yes, this is a barbaric way to do away with animals, but have you seen what they do to cows/pigs/chickens? It's not nice either.

How the issues of animal cruelty in this case and eating non-veg are intertwined here is beyond me.

The meat that we eat (generalisation) isnt a result of us drowning that said animal, or suffocating them, beating them etc.

It's not a flawed argument and nor is there any hypocrisy in feeling for an animal who is tortured whilst being a meat eater.

I'm with Red... if you going to eat some types of animals, but then get upset when some other types of animals die.... then it's a fairly flawed argument.

Yes, this is a barbaric way to do away with animals, but have you seen what they do to cows/pigs/chickens? It's not nice either.

If anyone would like to see how animals are treated on the way to your plates then have a look at most of the stuff that PETA put online. If you're feeling really tough then find a film called Earthlings and watch that.

How the issues of animal cruelty in this case and eating non-veg are intertwined here is beyond me.

The meat that we eat (generalisation) isnt a result of us drowning that said animal, or suffocating them, beating them etc.

Film. Earthlings. Watch.

If anyone would like to see how animals are treated on the way to your plates then have a look at most of the stuff that PETA put online. If you're feeling really tough then find a film called Earthlings and watch that.

Film. Earthlings. Watch.

Only 1 copy of Earthlings on ebay and currently at £13.50 :blink:

I agree that the journey that animals take to finding themselves on your my plate can be horrid, but does that mean I'm going to stop eating meat because there's a failing in the system that allows it to happen? It's like taking a sledge hammer to crack open a walnut. If you simply don't like an animal dying to feed you, then fair enough, but if someone's ok with the concept of eating meat then they're going to want a reform of the system rather than just saying enough.

For me, I buy free range stuff whenever I can because I believe in treating animals as well as possible, but we're omnivores at the end of the day.

It's not a flawed argument and nor is there any hypocrisy in feeling for an animal who is tortured whilst being a meat eater.

So if we are meat eaters, then we have no right to criticise any form of animal cruelty.

So if we are tax payers, therefore we have no right to criticise the government.

We are human beings so we have no right to criticise other's that wage war.

Hypocrisy's is a double edged sword;)