The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gonna go single

ADD

Morning all, after finding out compression and leak down test are all good on the car i've decided to go single, BUT im so confused on what set up to get! i dont really understand the differences between cast and tubular manifolds, wastegates external and internal, A/R's, V-bands, Flanges..... give me something electronic and im away but these things confuse me. Could anyone shed some light? i would like a quick spool as its gonna be on an auto.

Thanks

ADD

Hi Add, i'm not gona pretend i understand it all either, and i own a single auto :) but i have most certainly learnt more in the last 6 months than i have since i joined this club, mainly from trying to be involved in any issues that have needed attention.

What i would do is read all of the project threads, and then read them again. You will gain a lot of knowledge in there about what people have fitted, why, and maybe why later in the thread their plans changed for different parts. I'm sure people will be along to give good advice and answer any questions you have, but that section will give you a good base.

Choose who you want to do the work, and also talk to them in great detail about what you want to achieve. Choose who you want to map it, and talk to them about what ecu they advise. Get this done before buying any parts. Even if something comes up in the sale section looking great value, have a plan that you will work to before spending :)

Christian

Edited by Stonkin (see edit history)

Christian has an awsome turbo!

recently jamie p was selling alot of his kit and his is a top set up, might be worth chatting to him and maybe getting some of his parts, infact, lots of turbos have been up for sale. Do what Stonkin did and pop on to some of the sale threads and compare what people say in the write ups.

there are also the traders, these guys know there stuff and will listen to what you want from the car and tell you what would be best for you. i have no idea about the details on my single, i know its a t71 and its big, its laggy...ish but really goes at 3 half k revs. bought a smaller one which i then sold to stonkin and he says its great, which was a smaller (less lag) presision t62.

Good luck mate!!

As said have a good read up on all the project threads.

I would decide who you'd like to build it for you, then discuss with them the best route to go (along with the mapper of your choice).

Ever since i decided to do the single conversion Lee p has given me advice and guidance the whole way through and i've spoken to Ryan G many times about the mapping.

As mentioned above if you have an auto your going to be at your limit for the box at around 550 ftlb torque - if you want more power than that you need to consider either a drag box (Boostlogic or TH400) or a manual conversion.

I would choose your builder, and tell him what you want out of the build (for me it was the best spool possible but also BIG power!!).

Good luck with it mate :D

What are your power goals?

Personally I would go with a cast manifold. If you go with the right one, Arnout, then they aren't a restriction until silly HP (Over 700hp has been mentioned). They are very good value for money in comparison to tubular manifolds and I think they are less likely to crack?

For the turbo I would look at the GT35r, or similar size. This will give you a very early spool and a great pull straight into the 500's horsepower.

If you are keeping the autobox stock then don't go over the 500hp/500ftlbs mark and make sure you have a couple of decent coolers on there to try and keep the heat to a minimum.

Injectors are pretty straight forward. Pick your end goal and choose them to match. If your end goal is 550hp go with 650's, 650 go with 800's etc etc. Drop in high impedance ones are the best if you are using the stock fuel rail, also good for silly HP before it becomes a restriction.

For the ECU choose your mapper and then see what they recommend. The Solaris is a cracking ECU but it is most certainly more than you need.... it might be what you want though. I would, personally, be looking at either Ryan or Matt/Dude to deal with the mapping side of things.

There are an awful lot of variables to take into account when going down the single route. Have the goal in mind, the people you want to work on your car and take it from there :)

Guys thanks you all for your response, im gonna be reading as much as i can, at the mo im looking at one of pauls turbo kits with the Bullseye S362 turbo and one of his manifolds, already have the ECU, 550 injectors, FMIC etc but would defo be getting a quality cooler for the auto. Better get reading :)

What are your power goals?

Personally I would go with a cast manifold. If you go with the right one, Arnout, then they aren't a restriction until silly HP (Over 700hp has been mentioned). They are very good value for money in comparison to tubular manifolds and I think they are less likely to crack?

For the turbo I would look at the GT35r, or similar size. This will give you a very early spool and a great pull straight into the 500's horsepower.

If you are keeping the autobox stock then don't go over the 500hp/500ftlbs mark and make sure you have a couple of decent coolers on there to try and keep the heat to a minimum.

Injectors are pretty straight forward. Pick your end goal and choose them to match. If your end goal is 550hp go with 650's, 650 go with 800's etc etc. Drop in high impedance ones are the best if you are using the stock fuel rail, also good for silly HP before it becomes a restriction.

For the ECU choose your mapper and then see what they recommend. The Solaris is a cracking ECU but it is most certainly more than you need.... it might be what you want though. I would, personally, be looking at either Ryan or Matt/Dude to deal with the mapping side of things.

There are an awful lot of variables to take into account when going down the single route. Have the goal in mind, the people you want to work on your car and take it from there :)

Scott speaks a lot of sense here, if you wish to keep the stock box stick to around 500 ish hp, you dont have to listen to all the willy waving you need a massive turbo brigade, for an auto a T61 or GT35 size is perfect, on this size of turbo you really dont even need to bother about DBB either.

If you think 500 ponies isn't much think about the cars on the road pushing that kind of power, believe me it is embarrassingly easy to beat 99% of cars on the road and quite a big percentage of bikes as well.

To stick a tubular manifold on anything under 600hp is IMHO throwing your money down the drain you will increase lag, put more heat into the engine bay and run the risk of cracking, Wez runs 600hp and Dan runs 570hp both on cast manifolds and with the benefit of superior spool up, both are derivatives of what Treadstone performance sell for about £350 shipped (i have one in the garage waiting to fit ;))

550's will run 500 hp mine has run successfully for the last 4 years with them at 1.4 bar boost 510hp.

The one essential i would advise anyone auto to get is a high stall torque converter, going from lagless stock twins to a single did dissapoint me a bit at first as there is the inevitable lag increase, a 3200 rpm hi-stall absolutely transformed the car.

Do your research before you splash the cash, i blew 1k on a tubular manifold when i could have spent £300 on a cast, £700 saved could have bought my hi-stall, you live and learn

Scott speaks a lot of sense here, if you wish to keep the stock box stick to around 500 ish hp, you dont have to listen to all the willy waving you need a massive turbo brigade, for an auto a T61 or GT35 size is perfect, on this size of turbo you really dont even need to bother about DBB either.

If you think 500 ponies isn't much think about the cars on the road pushing that kind of power, believe me it is embarrassingly easy to beat 99% of cars on the road and quite a big percentage of bikes as well.

To stick a tubular manifold on anything under 600hp is IMHO throwing your money down the drain you will increase lag, put more heat into the engine bay and run the risk of cracking, Wez runs 600hp and Dan runs 570hp both on cast manifolds and with the benefit of superior spool up, both are derivatives of what Treadstone performance sell for about £350 shipped (i have one in the garage waiting to fit ;))

550's will run 500 hp mine has run successfully for the last 4 years with them at 1.4 bar boost 510hp.

The one essential i would advise anyone auto to get is a high stall torque converter, going from lagless stock twins to a single did dissapoint me a bit at first as there is the inevitable lag increase, a 3200 rpm hi-stall absolutely transformed the car.

Do your research before you splash the cash, i blew 1k on a tubular manifold when i could have spent £300 on a cast, £700 saved could have bought my hi-stall, you live and learn

Thanks Paul, what does a hi stall actually do? I think Pauls manifold is a tubular isnt it? Daz was showing me one last weeek, impressive bit of design

500bhp the PHR street kit is a good shout if you want cast manifold, id go with one of whifbitz kits myself though.

Dont buy bits from all over the place unless you are handy with the spanners and a welder.

Pauls kit is the more likely one im gonna be going for i think, then get Ryan to map it.....

• 1 month later...
Good plan imo, Paul's kit is very nice and good value.

cheers Jamie, i have gone for one of his awesome kits and the bullseye S362 turbo, sard 800cc injectors and big oil cooler. pauls ordering it tonight and hopefully being fitted in a few weeks! Cant wait it feels like christmas :)

What i would do is read all of the project threads, and then read them again. You will gain a lot of knowledge in there about what people have fitted, why, and maybe why later in the thread their plans changed for different parts.

Great advice - nothing better than personal recommendations - also if you like a setup and the member is based close by then I do recommend going out for a test drive.

you dont have to listen to all the willy waving you need a massive turbo brigade, for an auto a T61 or GT35 size is perfect,

exactly - try not to get suckered into the bull.....; go with the best setup that you can afford (upfront costs and maintenance).

cheers Jamie, i have gone for one of his awesome kits and the bullseye S362 turbo, sard 800cc injectors and big oil cooler. pauls ordering it tonight and hopefully being fitted in a few weeks! Cant wait it feels like christmas :)

Good move, Pauls Turbo kits are the best out there imo.

Good move, Pauls Turbo kits are the best out there imo.

Seconded pauls kit was great to fit and as good quality as i have seen, no problems fitting those or BL or im going to use a Virtual works one on the next conversion, the kit is around £1900 with no turbo.

That's pretty cheap! :)

I know;) and we do special offers on complete conversions ie fuel systems and mapping, as we don't need to pay for dyno time we can pass this saving to the customer and any alterations to maps are easy as they can just roll up and go on the dyno.