The mkiv Supra Owners Club

To Amazon Kindle or not to Kindle?

Dragonball

Thought about getting one of these - my perception being I could read PDF journals / books etc

Very expensive before (or so I thought at £180) but now down to £109 with WiFi or £149 with free 3G and wirless (whatever that means?)

Does anyone have an opinion (and no - I dont want an ipad at £astro, unless you feel the need to give me one free :))

What is the panels' opinion please?

• 1 year later...

Back from dead :) Just received my Kindle today, took 6'' wireless option for 89 pounds with free 1 day delivery, already dropped few books onto it and have to say - wow, it is so easy too operate and reading book is a breeze :) Love it from first sight, such a handy thing in bed ;)

Just small edit: It actually feels like a real book, you can read it at full sun, makes no difference, it's like reading paper version :)

I have had one for ages, sorry I never saw this otherwise I would have commented on it.

It is well worth the money.

I then went on ebay and for 5.99 bought 14,000 si fi books!!!!! And for 2.99 3000 modern fiction (all good authors, and 2010 books!) You can then download a programme called Calibre that changes the media to one that is easliy read by the kindle. PDFs are fine but alot of the 'pirate' books are pdf for ease, then convert them to mobo for the kindle and you can size the letters to comfort.

personally I use an IPAD and as an e-reader it does the job too and a lot more - however for the price that youve quoted the kindle would be a worthwhile investment.

:yeahthat:

The Kindle is a great product, but a good tablet will be 95% as good for reading while doing 95% of what alot of people do on their laptops (web browsing, social networking etc)

:yeahthat:

The Kindle is a great product, but a good tablet will be 95% as good for reading while doing 95% of what alot of people do on their laptops (web browsing, social networking etc)

Have to disagree there. The kindle is much more akin to reading a book, the "E-ink" screen is superb. We have three with our family and all agree we wouldn't use a heavier tablet in the same way and especially for the same length of time. Also, even if the kindle is kept on standby(not switched off) you only have to charge it six times a year. This is especially handy for going on holiday as you don't have to worry about carrying a charger or wondering if you have left it switched on.

The kindle should be thought of as the evolution of the book, and any comparison to a tablet is null and void as the kindle isn't setting out to be a tablet. That's why they have avoided going to a colour screen as was initially rumored for next evolution of the kindle. The kindle fire on the other hand...

I have 2 reservations about using a tablet as an eReader for more than a few minutes: 1) battery life. The Kindle battery life is amazing, partly due to how the screen works. It only uses power when you turn a page. Negligible or no power is used to display the same page for any amount of time. I've been on 2-week holidays where the Kindle has seen daily use, and I haven't had to pack the charger. 2) Backlighting. I haven't used a tablet but I imagine the screen backlighting is very similar to a laptop. The background colour would be too white and too bright (even with screen brightness turned down) for a book.

It actually feels like a real book, you can read it at full sun, makes no difference, it's like reading paper version :)

I love the idea of a Galaxy Tab, but it seems to me that the Kindle does perform very well in that you can clearly read the thing outside.

I suspect with all tabs that they're fine inside, but outside, you'd be wanting to throw the thing in a bin.

I have 2 reservations about using a tablet as an eReader for more than a few minutes: 1) battery life. The Kindle battery life is amazing, partly due to how the screen works. It only uses power when you turn a page. Negligible or no power is used to display the same page for any amount of time. I've been on 2-week holidays where the Kindle has seen daily use, and I haven't had to pack the charger. 2) Backlighting. I haven't used a tablet but I imagine the screen backlighting is very similar to a laptop. The background colour would be too white and too bright (even with screen brightness turned down) for a book.

My only real experience is with my iPad (iPad 1, 16gb wifi)

The battery will easily last a whole day. Wether you're web browsing, reading and listening to music etc. Playing games will drain the battery faster, but it will last a long time. Just put it on charge when you go to bed and it's ready again in the morning :) if you were camping etc and there was no power, an iPad would do at least 2 days as an e-reader between charges, so long as you weren't web browsing.

As for the display, it can be altered to make it easier on the eye. Kindle also do an excellent e-reader app for the iPad. In some ways he iPad is actually a better e-reader for non fiction, as it can display complex and colourful charts/pictures/diagrams which are often found in this type, especially academic books.

In an ideal world, I'd have a kindle and an iPad. If you only want one, and can afford/justify the cost of a tablet, then there's no competition

I have owned a couple of cheaper tablets now, I had the cheapie Disgo 6000 which once upgraded to 2.2 works absolutely fine depsite a few crap reviews, it does have a resistive screen which is a draw back if you have previously used an ipad or a device with a capacitive screen, but you do soon get used to the difference. The down side of the disgo 6000 is the screens break so easily. I have managed to kill two now and so far I cant find anyone selling the screens or replacing them. They were available on play.com for £65 last week, bargain! I aso have a E-touch 7" tablet but its an early one and runs Android 1.6 which is a bit lame for a lot of stuff. Was going to buy another I have seen on Play.com for about £150 with 4gb and capacitive screen, but then I read obout the Kindle fire and thought I would hang on.

Have to disagree there. The kindle is much more akin to reading a book, the "E-ink" screen is superb. We have three with our family and all agree we wouldn't use a heavier tablet in the same way and especially for the same length of time. Also, even if the kindle is kept on standby(not switched off) you only have to charge it six times a year. This is especially handy for going on holiday as you don't have to worry about carrying a charger or wondering if you have left it switched on.

The kindle should be thought of as the evolution of the book, and any comparison to a tablet is null and void as the kindle isn't setting out to be a tablet. That's why they have avoided going to a colour screen as was initially rumored for next evolution of the kindle. The kindle fire on the other hand...

I wouldn't say the comparisons null, as the tablet can do much of what the e-reader does. Why would I want to carry around a kindle and an iPad, when my iPad is capable of doing both?

On the subject of evolution, it's clear to me that eventually e-readers, tablets and phones will all become the one device, something that Apple obviously realise too. As such, tablets will evolve into more capable e-readers than they are now.

I got my Kindle a couple of months ago and love it! The only drawback for me is that SWMBO loves it too and has currently hogged it to read her stuff. :(

I might wait to look at the Kindle Fire before buying her one though. If it's any good I'll get that and she can keep the old one. ;)

One big upside is that there are loads and loads of free e-books out there just ready to be downloaded. And I don't just mean from Amazon - just look for .mobi files next time you "torrent". :) :)

got the new Kindle for my GF this week. wanted to wait for the Fire but its out too late for her birthday. i love it, so does she lol! find it much nicer to read ebooks than on my ipad (screen is far nice for reading, less glare and a lot lighter). useless for anything else though apart from maybe a small tray for carrying mugs of tea.