The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Recommend me a hotel in Cornwall

Mike

It's me the missus's first anniversary coming up and I want to take her away for the weekend :)

She's Australian and has never been to Cornwall, so I really want to take her there.

The problem I'm having is the volatile hotel reviews on Trip Advisor and the like. As soon as I find somewhere that looks half decent, someone jumps in and slags it off... and then I'm not sure if I should take the risk to book it.

I would like to be near to St Ives ideally, but Padstow/Boscastle or Falmouth would be fine too.

I'm not looking for the most posh/over the top/boutique hotel.. just somewhere nice, clean and friendly.

Any recommendations? :)

I recently stayed at Bedruthan Steps in Mawgan Porth and it was very nice. I would only stay there if you can get a sea view room though as there's no aircon and the other (non sea view rooms) were very hot. Prices are the same for sea view rooms. Now that we are into the summer holidays this could be pretty expensive though as they are a family friendly hotel and they have a price change right about now.

More upmarket, and with no kids, would be The Scarlet (a stone's throw from Bedruthan Steps) but that is a lot more expensive.

Thanks Dan - I just tried The Scarlet and it's fully booked for the weekend I need, and Bedruthan Steps insist on you staying for a minimum of 7 days if you arrive on a Friday :( :blink:

Oh dear - not good.

I've also stayed at the Bay and Esplanade hotels in Pentire (opposite end of Fistral beach to Newquay) and they were ok....nothing like as nice as the other two and the rooms were a bit dated but the reception areas/bar/food etc are good. You can stay there and be 100% not involved with Newquay as well which is nice :D At this time of year you might need to pay the additional £10 or so for a guaranteed parking space on site.

Or Fowey Hall in Fowey: http://www.foweyhallhotel.co.uk/family_hotels_uk.asp

Tregenna Castle in St Ives: http://www.tregenna-castle.co.uk/thehotel/

I've not stayed in either but have been to both and they were nice and I'd imagine the rooms would be nicer than the two in Pentire...could be up at a similar price to Bedruthan and The Scarlet though.

I had a very nice stay at the Primrose Valley Hotel for three nights.

http://www.primroseonline.co.uk/

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186243-d569819-Reviews-Primrose_Valley_Hotel-St_Ives_Cornwall_England.html

I stayed in room 2 which has a balcony (I smoke, so was a must) and sea view. The room wasn't as big as I would have liked and also had no bath, but it was furnished very nicely and very clean.

If a balcony or sea view is not a priority then i would go for the suite. It is much more spacious and has a larger bathroom with a bath. Alternatively room 3 has a balcony and is a little bit larger than room 2.

The breakfasts were very nice, all produce was sourced locally and there was always enough to to keep you going until lunch.

The staff were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Also they have a REN therapy room which was enjoyed as a treat by my then girlfriend.

The bar (always a favorite place :)) is small and cosy, but is perfect for a drink before you take the short stroll (10 min) into St Ives itself for an evening meal. The wine selection they have is very good.

I highly recommend eating at the Alba restaurant, the food was amazing the two separate years I went. It wasn't cheap, around £120 for two, but that was with two bottles of Chablis on the bill so that bumped the price up substantially. Book table six upstairs if it's available for the view. http://www.thealbarestaurant.com/

After typing all that I really want to phone them and book a long weekend away :D I love St Ives.

Thanks Burma... great views! :) I'm with you on that, I love St Ives.

I'm getting the same 'must stay for 5 night minimum' thing.. maybe because it's still in high season?

I suspect they want to make room for people wanting to stay for a week rather than cater for random weekenders like me :tongue: :D

St Edmunds House in Padstow is very nice, its part of the Rick Stein empire. Although a bit pricey, its were we went for our honeymoon, so there would be a one in six chance of you sleeping in the same bed that I had penetrative sex in and using the same bathroom that I massively emptied my intestines in when I discovered I was allergic to oysters.

http://www.rickstein.com/Accommodation.htm

We stayed in a glorious bed and breakfast a few years ago called 'the old chapel house' (it was once a chapel and the lounge area is complete with stain glass window) in st mabyn.

Near padsteine and surrounded by countryside it is truly amazing. It is bed and breakfast but the rooms are huge and private and ginny (the owner) makes a lush veggie breakfast.

There is a pub in the village but you'd need a car for anywhere else - 10 out of 10 seriously.

Hey, I don't remember driving to Cornwall in my car! I'm sure I would've remembered it. Was that with you Burna, or am I seeing things?!

Then again, I'm not topless, so it can't be really. ;)

Great view by the way. :)

Oh Andrew, I can't believe you're dismissing our wonderful romantic weekend away, how quickly you forget :( And it seems how quickly your bum hole has healed!

If you do come down mate give me a shout, I could hang out next to you looking cool :)

Done ;) But why wait, consider this weekend at Suprapod a taster, I'll bring the cuffs :D

EDIT: Above Drew, Its deffinatly your Supra

It's mine! All mine! You're a git :p

Here's a few more views to tempt you Mike :)

Primrose Valley Hotel viewed from the bar terrace of the Pedn Olva Hotel

I still don't understand why people come here, its an absolute SH@tH!?E with nothing to do aside drink and get ripped off at every turn. The people are on the whole uneducated small minded bigot's who moan constantly about 'Emits' ruining the county (the very people who keep this slum limping forwards). I'd go elsewhere.