The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Good diesel saloon cars

foggy147

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

boring hondas, omg what a statement your buying a diesel. you will regret buying a ford id go with the vag range over ford and the avensis or lexus diesel over the vag range but none of them touch the honda drive them all.the most important factor with diesel is the oil change 3-5k is max

My BMW goes approximately 17k miles between oil changes on the service schedule. Not sure where you got 3-5k from chap.

The avensis might be the other favourate, been looking at the alfa romeos 159 diesels, lovely cars but the reliability puts me off

Our Laserline rep had an Alfa Diesel as a rep mobile, he loved it, a couple of slight elec issues and he also says the dealers are rubbish.....

toyota Avensis Sports Tourer ;)

I got a new one in January for my company car waited 10 months for it. didn't want to hand it back when I left BT, 2.2 Td with Full leather and all the toys best model on the market (bar the t-Spirit)

Before hand had a multitude of diesels for work cars

2 BlueMotion Passats (had to go back at 12k miles)

1 Ford Focus Tdci (small car)

2 Mondeo's (2nd one was 180 bhp) and I broke one at Crimbo :(

Owned a rover 220 Tdi and the guy who bought it off me says its the best car he has ever bought.

after that had a Passat 2.0 Tdi and it was ok, Fuel Injectors went and they are expensive.

Would have another Avensis tomorrow anytime. It was the best diesel I've ever drove, not the best Mpg but the comfortablist :blink:

My BMW goes approximately 17k miles between oil changes on the service schedule. Not sure where you got 3-5k from chap.

5k is the max on a turbo charged diesel that is if you want to keep it and put 300+k, i taxi in dublin a driver i know has 300k on skoda octavia 1.9tdi he is still on original engine and turbo. extended oil changes on a diesel not good idea wait till you get to 100+k on a diesel with longer oil changes.

5k is the max on a turbo charged diesel that is if you want to keep it and put 300+k, i taxi in dublin a driver i know has 300k on skoda octavia 1.9tdi he is still on original engine and turbo. extended oil changes on a diesel not good idea wait till you get to 100+k on a diesel with longer oil changes.

Strange that. A mate of mine had a 1.9td peugot 405 and that did 175k without one single oil change lol. I don't suppose everyone in the world expects 300k on an engine or would even manage it even the high milers on here.

152k on the clock now, and it's used hardly any oil in the last service schedule and still pulls like a train.

Defo not the Passat then....:) Known gearbox problems and my boot used to open on it's own.

Not had the A4 long enough to make a decision but it's great to drive and feels really well put together.

I abused a 55 plate Mondeo for 3 years and 65K miles and never spent a day off the road for anything but servicing......;) Apparently the newer shapes are even better.

H.

I have had my 1998 passat for 9 years and have never had any problems.

Strange that. A mate of mine had a 1.9td peugot 405 and that did 175k without one single oil change lol. I don't suppose everyone in the world expects 300k on an engine or would even manage it even the high milers on here.

more pub crap 175,000 miles without an oil change can we put this in the joke section

I have had my 1998 passat for 9 years and have never had any problems.

That would have been a MKII. Very good cars...!!

My 55 plate Passat was a joy to drive on the motorway, very quiet.....:) Unfortunately this model was prone to a few faults and subsequently I wouldn't have another.

H.

• 2 weeks later...
more pub crap 175,000 miles without an oil change can we put this in the joke section

You could were it not true. I used to share lifts with the guy 150 mile round trip every day for 10 years. He never spent a penny on that car and it just kept going. Funny as mine kept breaking and getting replaced. He finally sold it and changed the oil for the first time when he did.

These have caught my eye and I actually really like the styling, what doo you think:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SAAB-9-3-1-9-CDTI-VECTOR-SPORT-DIESEL-BLACK-/280550831966?pt=Automobiles_UK#ht_2668wt_902

Dunno how much truth there is in it but I've heard that the saab diesel unit is not great. Looks wise though stunning cars especially in black. Would you not consider an LPG car?

I sell lots of Diesel engines, so the ones to steer clear of seem to be

honda 2.2 i-cdti

Vaux 1.7 and 2.0 cdti

renault/volvo/others fk9 (1.9 dci's)

ford tdci (not Tddi)

volvo 1.9 (see renault)

Saab v6 Tid

Ones that dont sell as much :-

toy D4D's

bmw TD, TDS

Merc 200/250/300

volvo D5's

Vaux DTL's

VW/SEAT/Skoda 1.9/2.0 Tdi's both PD and non PD engines

Also sell lots of pumps, Turbos, injetors too, so i know that the most reliable engine as far as componets goes is a D4D though with most now, the only prob related with mileage may be the dual mass flywheel

so Avensis D4D gets my vote.

Older mondeo TDCi engines had issues, the 2.0 variant. So if you fancy one of those I would go with the 2.2. Fueling/Injector issues. I think it was narrowed down to the pump but can't say with any great certainty.

I had a look at the Saab 9-3 and the 1.9cdti engine seems to have a few reliability issues which is a shame as I really loved that interior.

I'm going with the Mondeo 2.2 ST TDCi. It is 1k more than your budget but you can easily get the non-ST 2.2 version for that sort of money.

Older mondeo TDCi engines had issues, the 2.0 variant. So if you fancy one of those I would go with the 2.2. Fueling/Injector issues. I think it was narrowed down to the pump but can't say with any great certainty.

I had a look at the Saab 9-3 and the 1.9cdti engine seems to have a few reliability issues which is a shame as I really loved that interior.

I'm going with the Mondeo 2.2 ST TDCi. It is 1k more than your budget but you can easily get the non-ST 2.2 version for that sort of money.

I do like the st versions, gives them a much better sporty look.

I think im about 95% decided on the accord, judging from an average of the reviews they seem like an exceptional car, all the mod cons etc

I do like the st versions, gives them a much better sporty look.

I think im about 95% decided on the accord, judging from an average of the reviews they seem like an exceptional car, all the mod cons etc

The tiny boot really put me off.