The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Good diesel saloon cars

foggy147

Hi guys just wondering if anyone could give me some feedback and advice on a good diesel saloon?

Possibly going to sell the Supra as with it being a daily driver it's hitting home just how much I've spent driving it to work and back! Really don't want to sell and it's not for definate as yet.

I was thinking of the toyota avensis, that's the one that sticks in my head at the moment as I would like to keep with toyota as they have always served me so well.

Anyone own one?Looking at the 2litre diesel 2003-2005 models budget probably around the 4500 - 5k mark

Cheers

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Ford Mondeo is always a decent choice in the saloon market.

Yeah been looking at them can get some good ones for the budget I would have, think i'm just scared of moving away from toyota as iv'e had no trouble with the 2 previous celicas and supra*touch wood*, and I've driven the avensis once a while ago and it was a very smooth drive

Yeah been looking at them can get some good ones for the budget I would have, think i'm just scared of moving away from toyota as iv'e had no trouble with the 2 previous celicas and supra*touch wood*, and I've driven the avensis once a while ago and it was a very smooth drive

As a massive generalisation: The Mondeo is the best car in the class. It's certainly the best all-rounder if you're looking at dynamics vs economy.

People are automatically put off because of the early ones (the ones with duct tape on the bumpers) but the reality is they're brilliant cars.

Defo not the Passat then....:) Known gearbox problems and my boot used to open on it's own.

Not had the A4 long enough to make a decision but it's great to drive and feels really well put together.

I abused a 55 plate Mondeo for 3 years and 65K miles and never spent a day off the road for anything but servicing......;) Apparently the newer shapes are even better.

H.

BHG is quite common on the Avensis diesel.

I'd look at the VAG group of cars or dare I say it a BMW.

We now know the head gasket blowing problem is caused by carbon build up caused by the piston rings....we have done loads of cars out of warranty using a proir authority with Toyota themselves.

So as long as the vehicle has a good service history, I wouldn't let this put you off the Avensis.

I have just put my dad in a 2007 T180 Avensis Tourer and I wouldn't of suggested this if I didn't trust the car to be ok!

It's a cracking car, esp if you get one with the part leather and Sat Nav, and it's no slouch either.!

Does the cost of another car outweigh the costs of running just the Supra?

I'm probably spending about 50quid a week on petrol at the moment, I would hope to be saving at least 100 quid a month on petrol alone.

Then theres the servicing factor and that if something majorly went wrong with the Supra would struggle to fund it!

Really don't want to sell it but best to be realistic

boring hondas, omg what a statement your buying a diesel. you will regret buying a ford id go with the vag range over ford and the avensis or lexus diesel over the vag range but none of them touch the honda drive them all.the most important factor with diesel is the oil change 3-5k is max

boring hondas, omg what a statement your buying a diesel. you will regret buying a ford id go with the vag range over ford and the avensis or lexus diesel over the vag range but none of them touch the honda drive them all.the most important factor with diesel is the oil change 3-5k is max

The avensis might be the other favourate, been looking at the alfa romeos 159 diesels, lovely cars but the reliability puts me off