The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Importing a car from the U.S. - anyone done it? Cost?

NOS

Hi all,

I have a pad in Florida which I only use a few weeks out of the year. I have a nice car there that is only used, again, a few times each year.

I'm thinking of maybe bringing it over to Ireland so as to make more use of it. It seems a waste it sitting there idle.

Has anyone done this before? I'm wondering what the approximate price is? I Googled companies that provide this service but none give me a 100% final price.

If you're bringing it into Ireland, the final cost will be totally different from bringing it into the UK.

You'll have to pay shipping, then marine insurance. When it lands in Ireland, you'll have to pay landing fees/customs clearance fees. In the UK, you have to then pay import duty & VAT which I believe is on the entire bill so far. (i.e. VAT on everything including your shipping costs) Then here in the UK, we have to have the car SVA'd and then registered before it can be driven on the road.

As I don't know what the tax rates/SVA equivalent charges etc might be in Ireland, then I haven't a clue how much the total final bill might be. But these are the sorts of things you should expect to be billed for.