The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hks-fcon v pro gold?

paddy

Guest MeisterR

Probably one of the best ECU on the JDM market. :)

I use it, but you need someone in the know to tune it as it is complex, and the tuner need to have the software.

Check the ECU to see what version you have (open up the black plastic plate covering all the ports, there should be a sticker on there)

No Sticker: V3.0

Blue Sticker: V3.1

Red Sticker: V3.2

Good find, that ECU pretty much can take any upgrade you can throw at the car. :)

Probably one of the best ECU on the JDM market. :)

I use it, but you need someone in the know to tune it as it is complex, and the tuner need to have the software.

Agree.

The HKS ECU's can only be mapped by an HKS Pro Dealer, some see this as a disadvantage, personally I think this is a good thing as you know whoever is mapping the ECU should know what they are doing. There are a lot of quality ECU's to choose from, but all are only as good as the mapper.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

yet bare in mind that with the HKS ecu's they only pick suitable candidates to tune them.

"pick" as in those that pay the fee :D

Thanks for the reply guys. Does anyone know if the ecu has a fuel cut defender on it at all?? Or do you guys have one seperatley installed onto your cars?

Yes, it does and much more else as well. It's a very capable ECU but as someone mentioned earlier I personally dislike that only HKS "approved" mappers can touch them...

yet bare in mind that with the HKS ecu's they only pick suitable candidates to tune them.

They only 'pick' candidates with their own Dyno and a suitable amount of diagnostic equipment;) One man and his laptop don't seem to cut it with HKS. I think they want to make sure its installed and tuned with as little grief as possible.

OHHH and you do need to part with the dealer fee, which must say something as if you don't meet their criteria your money aint good enough

And when they get write ups like this from one of THE most respected tuners out there it must tell you something:search:

This is a copy of the post made by Ken Henderson, a member of T04R (the big power Supra group).

I have the F-CON V-Pro in my car and I think it's the best mid-priced EMS for our cars, bar none. The following is straight from the HKS website, but accurate based upon my own experience:

"The HKS F-CON V-Pro is a full featured standalone engine management system that connects as easily as a "piggy-back fuel and timing controller. As modifications to a vehicle are made, the need for fuel and timing adjustments becomes critical for performance and safety. The F-CON V-Pro, with its 32 x 32 resolution for both fuel and timing maps, is the optimal solution. The F-CON V-Pro can control up to eight injectors and D Jetro or L Jetro setups.

Injectors can be set to fire as batch, sequentially or staged. The F-CON V-Pro can also read drive by wire vehicles. Programming is done via the HKS Power Writer software, which only Certified HKS Pro Dealers have access to. The HKS Power Writer software for the F-CON V-Pro has some very unique abilities to simplify setup and tuning. Via the vehicle start-up menus most Japanese import cars can be easily started by selecting the vehicles parameters (Make, Model, Engine, etc.). Tuning is simplified due to A/F feedback control, where a target A/F value can be input and the F-CON V-Pro will adjust fuel automatically. Also, full data logging capabilities are built into the F-CON V-Pro Power Writer software. All major vehicle conditions, including speed, rpm, water temperature, intake temperature, timing, boost, injector duty cycle, etc., can logged to the HKS Pro Dealer's computer."

As to my own experiences, let me say this up front. I am a "set and forget" kinda guy when it comes to tuning my car. I do not run around with a lap top tuning on my car as the mood or the vehicle's running condition strike me. I've had it in my car for about thirteen months. Prior to the HKS 3.4L stroker and new turbo set-up being installed in my car a short while ago, my car had a TOTAL of 4.5 hours of tuning by SPE about two weeks before Vegas 2K3 which included my 801 whp run, the best I had done prior to installing my new set-up. The tuning remained untouched until the new set-up was installed.

The car has always started, idles smoothly at 1050 (I have 272 cams and head work), never stalls at stoplights, never fails to start, is unaffected by changes in weather, temps or elevation or traffic conditions and this has been the case since its initial installation. Everything works as it should.

The V-Pro can be used as a standalone or in concert with the factory ECU, whatever the user desires. For a full street car like mine, I think using it in conjunction with the factory ECU is the hot ticket. As noted above, it can drive up to eight injectors, a good thing as we found that my six 1000 cc injectors were running out of fuel at 2.18 bar and 1031 whp. We added two additional 1000 cc injectors (1333 cc/min/cylinder) which are driven full-time and my fuel capacity issues were over just like that.

I just drove 600-miles round-trip to and from Vegas 2K4. While there, I spent a lot of time with Mark Conte (LYTLdiablo) and Olivier Caza, although Mark spent more time in my car going back and forth to the track. Hopefully, if he sees this thread, he will pipe in and give his unbiased input based on his limited Vegas experience.

After the Crazy 8 dyno challenge, I received many, many inquiries from Supra owners regarding the V-Pro. They had observed the car on the dyno, listened to the clean, smooth and sharp pulls and watched while the car idled on the dyno for some time while the technical difficulties with the dyno were diagnosed and fixed. Those of you familiar with Japanese high performance magazines know that the F-CON V-Pro is the EMS of choice by virtually all big-name Japanese tuners. You also know that Japanese tuners and manufacturers have certain affiliations. By that I mean you will never see a JUN car, for instance, or a Top Secret car for that matter, with an HKS turbo or many other HKS hard parts. These two companies use Trust/GReddy parts almost exclusively and their own parts as well. The one true exception to all this is engine management and, when it comes to this, virtually 100% of the time, its the F-CON V-Pro.

Its been on the Japanese home market since 1996, so it has seen a lot of development. Many are put off by the fact you have to go to an HKS Pro Dealer and that they can't play with the software like you can with other systems. This, I think, is a red herring because the vast majority of users of other systems must hire professional tuners anyway to get their cars to run right. Very few of us have the time, ability, inclination and patience to program the EMS for our cars. When this supposed inconvenience is tempered by reality for most EMSs worth having in our cars, the V-Pro begins to look better and better, IMO. Hope this helps and good luck with your tuning.

Edited by dude (see edit history)

Thanks for the reply guys! My car is only running bpu level but has this Hks ecu. What major advantages will i have compared to a normal bpu supra without an ecu?? Should it in theory be running slightly more power? Just asking because the only cars i ever see run with this ecu are the single turbo supras.

The difference it makes will depend on how it's mapped, at BPU levels I'd guess you should be able to get an extra 10-20hp over running with a stock ECU. You won't have fuel cut and speed cut which you would with the stock ECU. If you have/fit aftermarket cams then the ECU could be mapped to get the best out of them. What's the rev limit set to? It could be yours is set higher than stock (stock pre-facelift is 6800rpm, VVTi is 7200rpm).

Do you know who mapped the car, was it in the UK or Japan?

Thanks for the reply guys! My car is only running bpu level but has this Hks ecu. What major advantages will i have compared to a normal bpu supra without an ecu?? Should it in theory be running slightly more power? Just asking because the only cars i ever see run with this ecu are the single turbo supras.

the fcon mate kind of smooths out everything it yielded the least amount of hp on my bpu but it did stop that big kick when the 2nd turbo came on,the limiter can be raised mine now 7200rpm.

The difference it makes will depend on how it's mapped, at BPU levels I'd guess you should be able to get an extra 10-20hp over running with a stock ECU. You won't have fuel cut and speed cut which you would with the stock ECU. If you have/fit aftermarket cams then the ECU could be mapped to get the best out of them. What's the rev limit set to? It could be yours is set higher than stock (stock pre-facelift is 6800rpm, VVTi is 7200rpm).

Do you know who mapped the car, was it in the UK or Japan?

The ecu was already in the car when i imported it. So im guessing Japan. I wanted to test out how the car feels with and without the ecu. Are there any risks from removing it and driving it as normal?

The ecu was already in the car when i imported it. So im guessing Japan. I wanted to test out how the car feels with and without the ecu. Are there any risks from removing it and driving it as normal?

Stick it on a dyno, if it was mine I would have it checked anyway, atleast then you can compare to similar spec'ed cars on here ;)

Unless it still has the stock ECU fitted as well then you won't be going anywhere if you remove it. If it ain't broken....etc. I'd leave well alone.

As Wez says, it may be worth getting the car checked on a dyno, ideally with an HKS Pro dealer so they can hook up to the F-con.