The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ear bunged up after using otex

ManwithSupra

Does anyone have any tips for unblocking your ear after using otex? My ear has become so blocked I am finding it difficult to hear and its been like that now for around 4 days. I have an appointment with the doc on wednesday to see of there is anything that is wrong but does anyone have any tips?

Olive oil, get a dropper and lay on the bed and put olive oil in your ear, lay on your side for a good 5 minutes and it'll help soften it.

Do this after a shower though, don't do it if your ear is still full of otex as it may react. you can get droppers in boots, or use a syringe. Boots and tescos also do a peppermint oil type thing, but never found that effective.

Put the olive oil in morning and at night, should help and the doc will probably syringe it.

Feel for you buddy, I had an ear doing this on and off for 12 weeks! Was horrible. Went for syringing every 2 weeks, a weird but quite pleasant procedure.

Dont use earbuds to try and release it. Not sure it will help in this situation but each time i get mine syringed i'm told to put a few drops of olive oil in to keep them clean.

The ear drops never seem to help apart from block them up. You'll need them syringing mate.

The ear drops never seem to help apart from block them up. You'll need them syringing mate.

Yep, the otex stuff just breaks the wax down, then if you don't get it out it just reforms/sets again! Temporary fix.

When the docs finally cleared my ear there was a bit of wax the size of a pea in the tray :D

pour some boiling water in a cup and put a bottle of almond oil in the cup leave to stand for a minute then with a eye dropper put one to two drops in your ear make sure you test it first on your hand the first time i did the oil was a bit to hot, give it a minute or two and the wax will melt and come straight out.

I had mine syringed in the past, mine give me trouble particularly after holidays when swimming a lot etc. The syringing was surprisingly pleasant.

A couple of people have told me that they've been for ear candle treatment at a beauticians and it's worked for them, I think you can buy them in boots too. No personal experience of it though, so no idea how effective it is.

A couple of people have told me that they've been for ear candle treatment at a beauticians and it's worked for them, I think you can buy them in boots too. No personal experience of it though, so no idea how effective it is.

Old wives tale, does not work.

Syringing is the best way and the only way. As mentioned above, loosen with olive oil for a few days beforehand.

The nurse at your GP's can syringe your ears for you.

I went in '98 after I'd done some Scuba in Corfu.

Couldn't hear much for a few weeks and decided go down the syringing route.

The nurse had one of those kidney shaped bowls by my ear as she went about her business.

Dear god - the stuff that came out was phenomenal. It was as if Lucifer himself had poured an old, but large bag of crisps into my ear. Facinating.

Anyway I could hear again and I had lunch for the way home all sorted.

Blow your nose and ejaculate at the same time with your finger over your japs eye. Cleared my ears no problem although the timing took some practice......;)

H.

:) This sounded the most fun and tried this first lol. Need to work on my timing again and again and again.......and again lol.

Tried the olive oil, no results yet but i will keep doing this, thanks for all your suggestions :)

:) This sounded the most fun and tried this first lol. Need to work on my timing again and again and again.......and again lol.

Tried the olive oil, no results yet but i will keep doing this, thanks for all your suggestions :)

Be careful though, my mate had a similar problem and asked for advice. I gave him the same answer but on his first go he shat himself.....:(

H.

Buy your own and do it at home with someone holding the candle for you. Only takes 5mins per ear, no need to pay someone else to do it.

Old wives tale, does not work.

What was it you were trying to achieve with them - removing wax build ups or something else like relaxation or something?

They do work - I used a pair about three weeks ago with excellent results as I was having some wax/mild pain problems. The warmth softens the wax and the flame produces a draught that gently sucks the wax out of your ear and up into the candle where it gets trapped. Once you've done it and they have cooled you can cut the candle in half if you want to see how much wax was pulled out. I would 100% recommend it.

These are the ones I used - "Biosun" Hopi Ear Candles:

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=1068&prodid=1492&afid=70&safid=AG&scid=14581&cm_mmc=Aggregates-_-Comparisons-_-GoogleProducts-_-HBMVPCGP&of_tid=VujYhipqQezg_A-_dNCLT8j3QKqm8Q2XK63YCfCrlBuJtIsYAMDpa1DimkbpwD68

http://www.auravita.com/product/Hopi-Ear-Candles-Ylang-Ylang-Geranium.BIGM10009.html?RefId=220&adid=BIGM10009

http://www.auravita.com/product/Hopi-Ear-Candles-Ylang-Ylang-Geranium.BIGM10009.html?RefId=220&adid=BIGM10009

Buy your own and do it at home with someone holding the candle for you. Only takes 5mins per ear, no need to pay someone else to do it.

What was it you were trying to achieve with them - removing wax build ups or something else like relaxation or something?

They do work - I used a pair about three weeks ago with excellent results as I was having some wax/mild pain problems. The warmth softens the wax and the flame produces a draught that gently sucks the wax out of your ear and up into the candle where it gets trapped. Once you've done it and they have cooled you can cut the candle in half if you want to see how much wax was pulled out. I would 100% recommend it.

These are the ones I used - "Biosun" Hopi Ear Candles:

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=1068&prodid=1492&afid=70&safid=AG&scid=14581&cm_mmc=Aggregates-_-Comparisons-_-GoogleProducts-_-HBMVPCGP&of_tid=VujYhipqQezg_A-_dNCLT8j3QKqm8Q2XK63YCfCrlBuJtIsYAMDpa1DimkbpwD68

I used to believe these things worked too. However, having burned an ear candle with the bottom end of it in a sealed jar (as seen in many of the videos on youtube - search for 'ear candle myth') I found, as many others have, that the burned candle contained loads of 'ear wax' without having been placed in an ear.

Ear candles - load of bollocks - and there are many accounts of them causing injury when hot was has fallen into the ear. Get your ears syringed at the doctors surgery by someone who knows wtf they're doing.

I used to believe these things worked too. However, having burned an ear candle with the bottom end of it in a sealed jar (as seen in many of the videos on youtube - search for 'ear candle myth') I found, as many others have, that the burned candle contained loads of 'ear wax' without having been placed in an ear.

Ear candles - load of bollocks - and there are many accounts of them causing injury when hot was has fallen into the ear. Get your ears syringed at the doctors surgery by someone who knows wtf they're doing.

Have you ever tried one in your ear?

Edit: I'm interested enough to burn one "out of the ear" now to see what happens I'll try it tonight. :)

After using them it definitely made a difference to me but it seems that was just a result of the warmth and then me doing a bit of a "clean up job" of the softer wax with a cotton bud :D I could have probably achieved the same thing after a little soak in a sauna and then using the cotton buds! :)

Have you ever tried one in your ear?

Edit: I'm interested enough to burn one "out of the ear" now to see what happens I'll try it tonight. :)

Yes I have. And I was impressed to find the wax inside the candle afterwards. However, the fact that the following day my ears didn't feel any different, lead me to have them checked at the Doctors surgery. They were still full of wax, so I used olive oil and had them syringed.

This lead me to try the candle outside of an ear, burning it in a jar. I found just as much wax in the candle afterwards as when I'd used one in my ear. The candle generates this wax residue, not your ear.

Have a read of this:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/candling.html