The mkiv Supra Owners Club

cracked wastegate housing on turbo

Carl

I have a crack in my turbo-wastegate housing.

Can these be repaired and what are the implications, eg, does it all need re-balancing once turbines are removed from body etc.

also what problems if I just install with crack?

Carl

It's getting pretty common these days. It's not fixable, new turbo is required. Bad luck :(

For a minute i just imagined Anne Robinson...[sHOCK][/sHOCK]

You just needed to add "Goodbye" to the end of your sentence..lol

Yeah its fairly common. If the turbo is fine you can just replace the housing :)

Or in Carls case the wastegate flange too.

that sounds a bit cheaper! :)

You ever tried to buy a housing for one of these? ;) It's not like you can buy them off the shelf.

As Marty says it doesn't appear too severe from the pics, but isn't the sort of thing that gets better over time.

Very common fault, the cracked housing won't effect function/performance (half the TT's driving around probably have similar cracks). The cracked gate I would try to get replaced.

Can you replace just the gate bit?

I assume you mean the flap itself?

I was speaking to CR Turbos on this earlier and as you said, they reckon 95% of Supra's will have the same crack. Its a common fault from the continual heating up & cooling down. Its always on the Primary No 1 turbo and nearly always in the same position.

He reckons more often than not it only goes 1-2mm dp so should not cause a problem.

If welded up he reckons the same thing would most likely occur within 5000 miles.

I have a crack in my turbo-wastegate housing.

Can these be repaired and what are the implications, eg, does it all need re-balancing once turbines are removed from body etc.

also what problems if I just install with crack?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/4826624266_78cdefdef1_z.jpg

Carl

fit it.. and dont worry.. many many cars are running with this sort of thing and most owners know nothing about it..

if there was a problem the WG penny would be in a mess.