The mkiv Supra Owners Club

8.5" front & 10" back = good fitment ?

msupra

I attached a few pics and you can see the section of the front tyre is quite "hungry" and fills the arch a fair bit. Also, on the first photo if you look at the front tyre it looks pretty well flush with the wing.

This is:

245/40/18 Eagle F1 on 8.5 x 18 with 35 offset

275/35/18 Eagle F1 on 9.5 x 18 with 30 offset

Current ride height is a bit higher on the front (maybe half an inch) than shown in the third pic.

Sorry for the crap little photos.

They look better than i thought they would tbh, im supprised they fill so well with that width and offset, im wondering if there is any different in in track width with facelift cars to pre facelift now.

Cant be mate as mines a facelift and i have loads of clearance with my old wheels which is why i had 25mm spacers on them

Strange how dans looks so flush, according to the offset calculator my wheels stick out 28mm each side more than his, dont look that much looking at his pics.

Thanks for all the responces, some good info in this thread now :)

I still might go with 8.5 x 10 in the rear, but the offset will require some fender rolling for the 10's (XXR 521 rims), unless I find another set of rims with a higher positive offset.

These are on the top of my list, 8.5 x 9.5, my car is non-turbo and I think 9.5 fitment would be pretty good.

Edited by msupra (see edit history)

Silver.

That's why I want wheels with a polished lip :yes:

Here's a picture of it, note that I'll be changing the bumper to top secret and might get a rear diffuser also.

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6323/481155107424a986f0f4b.jpg

Thanks for all the responces, some good info in this thread now :)

I still might go with 8.5 x 10 in the rear, but the offset will require some fender rolling for the 10's (XXR 521 rims), unless I find another set of rims with a higher positive offset.

These are on the top of my list, 8.5 x 9.5, my car is non-turbo and I think 9.5 fitment would be pretty good.

http://www.wheelfire.com/imagesproducts/RUFFRACING_R281_MB.jpg

or maybe these:

these are all 8.5 / 9.5

Edited by msupra (see edit history)

I personally think that is too far from stock mate. 9.5 on the fronts is going to tramline like hell. Even though it may look slightly better it isn't worth it IMO.

You didn't read my post, if you use the same tyre size with stretch it makes no difference and 225's won't tramline as I have them standard fit on my BMW m sport.

I doubt it very much and a stretched tyre is going to be deformed in shape and loading the sidewalls in a manner they werent designed for.

You increase tyre roll stiffness by lowering the profile not by fitting the wrong width tyre !!

Why would manufactures bother with specific sizes for specific sized wheels.

Looking at your drift car pics i hope if they went to go through an mot for a rd car they'd fail, the tyres simply weren't designed to be used like that, do what you like on the track but dont recomend this for rd car use because you think it looks good.

I guess the millions G/Y, Dunlop Michelin etc spend on R & D was a waste of cash, show me a race car that doesn't go sideways all the time that uses stretched tyres to get better handling ?

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

manifacturers spend millions developeing tyres to work a specific way when seated properly .

tyres have an optimum operating temperature in wich they will be at there best grip wise.

tyres reach this temp by the movement in the tyres carcus .

if a tyre is "sreached" the tyre will not move in the way that it has been developed to thus not reaching its optimal core temp. spining the wheels to try and comensate for this will just cause surface heat and this can lead to blistering that will further decreas performance.

streching tyres will also cause advers wear patterns due to the wall not being loaded in the manner it was designed for.

Edited by dr_jekyll (see edit history)