The mkiv Supra Owners Club

8.5" front & 10" back = good fitment ?

msupra

I know most of you are from the UK, but I'm from Canada, so Hi! new member here.

Anyways, my 1993.5 NA 5-spd Supra came with a set of Rays Volk Racing SE37 rims (18"). I'm not sure exactly on the width but they are around 7.5 or 8" all around (18/225/40).

I'll be selling them and getting a set of something new and more aggresive for the Supra.

I know that the bolt pattern is 114.3

my only concern is about the fitment on my rim choice including width and offset.

Do you guys these wheels should go fit a 1993.5 Supra good without any fender rolling? It is stock body with, just top secret side skirts and bumper.

18x 8.5" in the front with +30 offset - 40 tire width

18x 10" in the back with +25 offset - 35 tire width

Do you guys these wheels should go fit a 1993.5 Supra good without any fender rolling?

18x 8.5" in the front with +30 offset - 40 tire width

18x 10" in the back with +25 offset - 35 tire width

The fronts should be okay, the rears will rub on the wheel arches.

Do you have the larger Supra brakes fitted? If you do then make sure whichever wheels you go for will clear the calipers.

I agree with Jamie P I would go at least 9.5 front to make it look right with the same sized tyre as the 8.5 stretched on, I run 9.5 ET12 + a 15mm spacer. So effectively close to - ET, I have rolled arches but it looks good IMO.

I really dont kike the tucked under, low ET front wheels that seem popular on here.

If they do them I would also go 10.5 or 11 on the rear with stretched tyres.

I agree with Jamie P I would go at least 9.5 front to make it look right with the same sized tyre as the 8.5 stretched on, I run 9.5 ET12 + a 15mm spacer. So effectively close to - ET, I have rolled arches but it looks good IMO.

I really dont kike the tucked under, low ET front wheels that seem popular on here.

If they do them I would also go 10.5 or 11 on the rear with stretched tyres.

I personally think that is too far from stock mate. 9.5 on the fronts is going to tramline like hell. Even though it may look slightly better it isn't worth it IMO.

Well actually I'm kind of on a budget, and to have the flexbility to chose the exact size those would be higher end brands.

I am just looking at sets, right these are the ones I'm looking at:

from first post:

18x 8.5" in the front with +30 offset - 40 tire profile

18x 10" in the back with +25 offset - 35 tire profile

or:

18x 8.5" in the front with 35 offset

18x 9.5" in the back with 35 offset

So if I go with option one I will most likely need my fenders rolled/pulled to make them a bit more extended in the rear?

I'm actually not to good with calculating the offset on rims but with a lower offset the rims will basically stick out more right? as a higher offset will make them closer inwords?

I personally think that is too far from stock mate. 9.5 on the fronts is going to tramline like hell. Even though it may look slightly better it isn't worth it IMO.

Mine dont tramline one bit, 9.5 front, et20 with 255 tyres, front arches rolled.

Your 8.5 with a 45 offset is going to look very lame tbh.

18x 8.5" in the front with 35 offset

18x 9.5" in the back with 35 offset

That will work if you dont want to do any rolling.

It's hard to find a right set of wheels that look a certain way, a specific size, and for a specific price, I looked around but no luck...

Right now I only have 7.5 or 8 in the front with 225 / 40 tires and honestly it looks okay... I think 8.5 with a +25 offset front should be fine, I'm more focued on getting better fitment for the rear.

the 18x10 set are deep dish (with 3.5" polished lip) and black mesh style. I also think that 18" should be fine but I'm still considering 19's.

thanks

Edited by msupra (see edit history)

Just checked it out for a good amount of time, couldn't really find something that interested me with proper size.

But if you know any other stires or sources feel free to share, would appreciate that!

For +30 in the front and offset of +25 in the rear, is there anything wrong with this setup?

like I said I'm not really good at the offset thing, but does it basically mean with a lower offset the rims will just stick out more rather than going in?

That will work if you dont want to do any rolling.

I have 8.5" x 18" (35 offset) on the front with a 245 40 18 tyre and get a tiny bit of rubbing if I'm turning with a fair amount of lock and braking HARD or hit a bit of a dip in the road with a lot of lock on...this is with no arch rolling.

I am considering dropping the front tyre to a 245 35 18 as that will gain heaps of room but I'm a little concerned the ride will harshen up a touch.

8.5j front will be skinny mate unless u go for a really low offset like a 15-20

My old front wheels were 18x8.5 with 35offset. I had a 15mm spacer on and there was still lots of room to go wider.

What size tyre did you have on there, are you sure the wheel was definitely 8.5" with the 35 offset? There is no way in hell I could add a 15mm spacer to mine on the front with the 245 40 18 tyre.

Rears are 275 35 18 on a 9.5" x 18" rim with a 30 offset - they also rub very occasionally (big bumps or passenger + shopping in boot on rough roads) and I am waiting to get in to have the arches rolled.

Dan, is your car very low? my old 9x18+35 never rubbed no matter what i did, even with my present front 9.5x18 et20 255/35/18 it only rubbed on the odd hard bump, now rolled by arch enemy and all is good, surprised your rears rub an all, my fronts are further out than your rears.

What size tyre did you have on there, are you sure the wheel was definitely 8.5" with the 35 offset? There is no way in hell I could add a 15mm spacer to mine on the front with the 245 40 18 tyre.

Rears are 275 35 18 on a 9.5" x 18" rim with a 30 offset - they also rub very occasionally (big bumps or passenger + shopping in boot on rough roads) and I am waiting to get in to have the arches rolled.

I had a 225 front tyre stretched on mate but seriously i could have whacked a 25mm spacer on there if i wanted.

i cant see how your rears rub either mate? I just sold my 18x9.5 et35 rears, and they had a 25mm spacers on (which rubbed on big bumps only)

I had a 225 front tyre stretched on mate but seriously i could have whacked a 25mm spacer on there if i wanted.

i cant see how your rears rub either mate? I just sold my 18x9.5 et35 rears, and they had a 25mm spacers on (which rubbed on big bumps only)

Ahhh ok I'm with you now - if I'd had a 225 tyre on the front I would have LOADS of room. The 245 with a 40 profile is a big tyre in terms or using up arch space....I know if I go to a 245 35 or even a 255 35 I will gain more clearance than I have right now.

What tyre was on those rears James?

Edited by dandan
More detail. (see edit history)

Dan, is your car very low? my old 9x18+35 never rubbed no matter what i did, even with my present front 9.5x18 et20 255/35/18 it only rubbed on the odd hard bump, now rolled by arch enemy and all is good, surprised your rears rub an all, my fronts are further out than your rears.

No not really mate, yours looks a little lower if anything.

The 245 40 front tyre is what is killing me; I think you mentioned before that you used to have 245 35 on the front - that is a lot slimmer (in terms of arch rubbing) than the 245 40. Plus you were stretching it over a half inch wider rim which would have helped too. I will probably try the 245 35's next.

The rears do rub but I can't recall any times when they have rubbed when I've been driving on my own - it only happens with passengers in. I need a very small amount of rear rolling done to sort that and it's another job on the list but by no means urgent. :)

I attached a few pics and you can see the section of the front tyre is quite "hungry" and fills the arch a fair bit. Also, on the first photo if you look at the front tyre it looks pretty well flush with the wing.

This is:

245/40/18 Eagle F1 on 8.5 x 18 with 35 offset

275/35/18 Eagle F1 on 9.5 x 18 with 30 offset

Current ride height is a bit higher on the front (maybe half an inch) than shown in the third pic.

Sorry for the crap little photos.

275-35-18 F1 on 9.5x18 30 offset.JPG

245-40-18 F1 on 8.5x18 35 offset.JPG

245 and 275.JPG