The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tents advice?

JamieP

I need a tent what with suprapod coming up, i want something light and easy to put up for when im pi$$ed, had a quick look on ebay and this looks ok? or anything else i should be looking at?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gelert-Pop-Up-SS-XL-3-Man-Person-Camping-Tent-New-/300446931970?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_SportsLeisure_HikingCamping_Tents_JN&hash=item45f4085c02

I need a tent what with suprapod coming up, i want something light and easy to put up for when im pi$$ed, had a quick look on ebay and this looks ok? or anything else i should be looking at?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gelert-Pop-Up-SS-XL-3-Man-Person-Camping-Tent-New-/300446931970?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_SportsLeisure_HikingCamping_Tents_JN&hash=item45f4085c02

Maybe put it up BEFORE you get pissed.;)

Hey Jamie, have a quick look at your local Halfords, they have a promo on at the moment, lightweight 4 berth, 2 airbeds, sleeping bags etc for just £99, about £130 cheaper than last month. My lad works there and he said they sold loads this weekend so if you are interested dont hang about like. Oh and that Gelert tent is great, bit small but easy to use. We do a fair bit of camping and Gelert stuff generally is good value for money.

Nooo, don't do it! I tried a similar pop-up tent at a festival a few years ago, might as well have used twigs & a bin bag - any hint of rain and the thing filled up with water (no inner lining - stupid), barely big enough for two people and it was knackered after a few nights :(

Nooo, don't do it! I tried a similar pop-up tent at a festival a few years ago, might as well have used twigs & a bin bag - any hint of rain and the thing filled up with water (no inner lining - stupid), barely big enough for two people and it was knackered after a few nights :(

Pretty much as Lauren has stated, avoid pop up tents at all costs. They're amazing for the speed of putting up (and getting back down if you know how to do it) but they're in no way water proof and are generally very small.

Argos is a good shout, some good deals on and that's where I got mine from :)

My advice, if you only want it for one season, ebay... otherwise go somewhere like blacks..

Get a decent one, my old ebay '6man' tent was tiny, and in a word 'crap'... I got a decent one with a build in groundsheet and it makes all the difference.

http://www.blacks.co.uk/browse/group/blackstentsalewk20.html

http://www.blacks.co.uk/product/096418.html

If it is only for pod, you are welcome to borrow one of my 4 man tents if you so wish?

I've used Khyam quick erect (fnurr fnurr) tents for years. They're great, especially if you are trying to set up when it's dark and/or rainy as everything is already assembled and the frame is made with knuckle joints, so you just unpack it, straighten the poles and nail it down, job done.

My first one lasted me a good 10 years and many bike rallies.

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=334

Maybe put it up BEFORE you get pissed.;)

Where is the fun in that Dude.....:rolleyes::D

Hey Jamie, have a quick look at your local Halfords, they have a promo on at the moment, lightweight 4 berth, 2 airbeds, sleeping bags etc for just £99, about £130 cheaper than last month. My lad works there and he said they sold loads this weekend so if you are interested dont hang about like. Oh and that Gelert tent is great, bit small but easy to use. We do a fair bit of camping and Gelert stuff generally is good value for money.

We have the halfords tent from the same offer a couple of years ago. The tent is ok but the sleeping bags are only good if you like hypothermia. Torches went through batteries like Ed goes through pairs of dirty knickers and one of the inflatable beds deflated every 6 hours.

Besides all that, they were great value.....:D

H.

We have the halfords tent from the same offer a couple of years ago. The tent is ok but the sleeping bags are only good if you like hypothermia. Torches went through batteries like Ed goes through pairs of dirty knickers and one of the inflatable beds deflated every 6 hours.

H.

You sure Ed hadn't modified the bed :p

H.

Yeah it's true, the sleeping bags are very lightweight but generally ok for this time of year. but for £99 reckon you could use it and stick it all on ebay and get most of your cash back. Led lanterns the way forward for lighting, conventional bulbs are rubbish by comparison with regard to battery life.

We bought a tunnel tent from ebay, think it was called an Achen 6 or something, complete crap. Rings ripped out, fibre poles were lethal, tore... But the Gelert Rocky 4 we have we have now used in Romania two weeks every year for 4 years and it has withstood landslides, flash floods, days of 38 + °C and 3 days of constant heavy rain and its still good with no damage.

That looks good, what a clever idea having inflatable poles, wonder how rigid it is in the wind though. Good size too, ideal for 2 people, cozy with more.

This is the 2010 version of the one we have and if it's the same build quality as ours I cant reccomend it enough, it's also about £25 cheaper now than when I bought mine 4 years ago.

http://www.family-camping-supplies.co.uk/item.php?cat=2&i=495