The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lexus GS300 Sport Purchase?

dandan

I'm thinking of buying one of these but it's not a car I have any real experience of. Does anyone here own one or anyone worked on them before?

I think I can get a 1999/00 plated Sport with less than 85,000miles for about £3500-4000 but I'm not sure if this is about the right price for one as I haven't been looking into it for long enough yet. Once the mileage creeps up beyond 120k the value certainly seems to drop like a stone.

What else is out there that is comparable/better for similar money? It's a shame there isn't a 3litre turbo diesel as the 3litre petrol engine and weight of all this luxury doesn't strike me as the most economical combination :D

I had the previous shape GS300 (now in the hands of Littlenum :) )

Was a nice car, not particularly quick, and would possibly get to 30mpg on a steady run. Pretty dire economy round town, and the handling certainly isn't sporty. Comfy cruiser though.

I've done over 100,000 miles in a JZS160. Now on 197K.

No problems, except the ABS light staying on. Turned out to be rust forcing a dust shield in the rear hub on to the ABS ring and wearing it down. Not a common problem...

The big thing to watch out for is the master cylinder/brake booster on the early ones (2K+ to replace). It was improved on the facelift model (2001, I think).

Aristo FTW, here's one of mine, the other one is with AFR currently.

I was gutted to sell my supe but the Aristo was the perfect family replacement for it in my books.

You get a lot for your money with an Aristo, more so than with a GS300 Sport IMHO.

Thanks for all the replies and links guys - much appreciated :thumbs:

So far I know that there are the following things to look out for...

- Brake booster related issue (although I'm not sure if buying a car with 80,000miles that hasn't yet shown up the issue means it'll be good to 150,000miles though)

- Balljoints seem to have been replaced (or are in need of replacement) on a lot of cars

- Suspension bushes can wear out relatively quickly

I was originally looking for an Aristo but after spending a week or two looking around I wouldn't say you do necessarily get more for your money. I have only seen one MKII Aristo with a full leather interior and it was up for £6k (same one adnanshah247 posted a link to) and it has had blown turbos replaced, a FMIC and a dump valve and for some reason has black vinyl on the roof :search: It may well be a beauty of a car now but I can't say for sure until I go to look at it. It doesn't jump out as the steady , reliable motor I am looking for but I do like the look of it and will get in touch with the seller to see how much he's willing to move on the price.

If you halve that number down to £3000 then you can find GS300 Sports with full leather and all the gadgets with comparable mileage. Obviously the TT motor isn't there but I'm not sure I actually want that sort of performance - I still have the Supra for that :) For £3000 (or even £2000) you definitely do not get more for your money with an Aristo.

Don't get me wrong, if I had £6k to blow on another car then I'd probably go for the Aristo over the Lexus but unfortunately I don't have that much to spend so unless a desperate seller crops up I will probably go with the Lexus. That said, does anyone know of any very well priced Aristos for sale - they don't seem to crop up very often....

I suppose the next question is "do you want to work on the car at all, or just a worry-free cruiser?". I would guess from your Supra that you're more of the former than the latter, which might suggest that a MK1 Aristo could be a possibility as long as you're prepared to spend £3-4k on top of the £1.5 (bargain basement) - 3k (average price with many service necessities done already) purchase.

I suppose the next question is "do you want to work on the car at all, or just a worry-free cruiser?". I would guess from your Supra that you're more of the former than the latter, which might suggest that a MK1 Aristo could be a possibility as long as you're prepared to spend £3-4k on top of the £1.5 (bargain basement) - 3k (average price with many service necessities done already) purchase.

There is a GS430 (280ish bhp) that has the same v8 as the lS430 and with its vvti it's not quite so much of a gas guzzler as the old 4l ones (only marginally more than the Gs300's I think)........

The main aim is to have a "worry free cruiser" as you put it but at least a Toyota/Lexus means that parts are relatively cheap and I'd be happy to work on it if the need arose. It will never had anything like a single kit fitted or mega mods but I would consider some easy stuff like a decat and exhaust especially if there was any chance of the economy improving a touch from the freer breathing.

To be honest, my initial move to a GS300 was because of the quality of car available for only two or three thousand pounds. If I start looking more towards top spec Aristos at £6k+ then I'm sure that puts me into the market of other machinery as well that is worthy of consideration.

The MK1 Aristo is definitely out I'm afraid as the Mrs hates the look of them and she'll be driving this car (whatever it ends up being) as well as her own car. I did have a brief look at the 430 and maybe I'll revisit that model as long as they exist in pre March 2001 guise and slip into the Private Light Goods taxation class.

The 430 comes under the "emissions" tax bands, but (IIRC) it's £245 a year. They are pretty rare, though.

As far as running costs are concerned, the problem is that there isn't the aftermarket parts support for Lexus/Toyota that there is for BMW and Mercedes (although the equivalent Mercs - E-Class - seem to give a lot of problems, so I'd avoid them).

You have a choice for brake pads/discs, front upper control arms (integral balljoint), front lower-front control arms (if you see what I mean :)), and front lower balljoints (a separate part), but everything else is Mr. T only.

P.S.

I wouldn't worry about buying a Sport, it's just a standard GS with slightly lowered suspension and 18s.

My Aristo was listed as a LEXUS GS300 TT, incorrectly listed and therefore easier to talk down the price...

As stated check http://www.clubaristo.net PJ and some of the guys are great help.

I am enjoying my Mk2 and slowly modding it to how I want it....

Latest addition is the UK Brakes, HKS BOV, Customer Exhaust, Stereo upgrade and soon a respray I think....

Maybe one day a Getrag conversion like the old Mk1 in my garage...... ;)

bud if i were you, i would get the V300. Exactly the same as a gs300 but with a nice 2jz lump powering it! :D

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1817083.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1717647.htm

Those are like the 2 only Aristos on sale in UK lol. They are so rare.

The white one looks nice yes but it has cloth seats. I would've thought most come with leather?

Thanks again guys...I've been having a good browse on the Aristo forum and Lexus forums and gradually getting a bit more info up together.

I am considering the MKII Aristo now but am still getting up to speed with the differences so I can weigh up if an additional £3k is in any way worth it for the sort of driving I'll be doing.

So far it looks like a MKII Aristo would offer the following differences to the GS300:

- The obvious vvti TT engine

- Sat nav in Japanese (not an advantage?)

- Rear wheel steering (part of traction/stability control)

- 4 speed (as opposed to the Lexus 5 speed) autobox

- Tiptronic steering wheel buttons (but apparently no way to lock it in a gear and prevent kickdown?)

- Plastic (as opposed to glass) headlights

- Something different about the rear lights but not sure what exactly :)

There's bound to be other stuff but this is what I know so far. Does anyone know what the fuel economy is like from stock and BPU MKII Aristos?