The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Selling a Car - Test Drive or Not?

evanshaw

Hi All,

Long time since I've posted anything.

When it comes to privately selling a car, what does one do, let a potential buyer test drive it or not?

My concerns here are obviously it's my pride & joy until I've got their cash in my account so insurance, deposit, id etc

What would you do?

You drive it and let them be a passenger first. This makes sure the car is warmed up properly, and you also set the level at which you expect the car to be driven. If they are being a little reckless or going too fast then, politely, tell them to calm/slow down. After all, until they pay up and the docs are signed, it's still your car. I certainly wouldn't rag anyones car around. It's just showing a little respect. Once it's theirs they can drive it how they like!

If you're talking about a performance / expensive car, then tread carefully. It would be rare that anyone coming to take a look will have more than just third party insurance covering them, which means if they crash it.... you're screwed.

I had full insurance on my car when going for the test drive. It was only £25/£40 that it would cost if I was to then cancel the policy within the first 14 days (i.e. if I didn't buy the car).

It's not an expensive price to pay for that piece of mind for both parties involved. :)

get them to leave the cash for the car before test drive... u bang it. u buy it! also good indicator if they a) can afford it and b) are serious buyer not just a tyre kicker!

i have used this method when selling my gsxr750, and worked well, buyer had no probs leaving the cash while he took it out for a blast!

get them to leave the cash for the car before test drive... u bang it. u buy it! also good indicator if they a) can afford it and b) are serious buyer not just a tyre kicker!

i have used this method when selling my gsxr750, and worked well, buyer had no probs leaving the cash while he took it out for a blast!

That's a good idea!

I let them drive with me as a passenger. Not going to do anything particularly stupid with you sitting there are they?

I can't imagine anyone letting someone test drive their car without them being in the car with them?! Just asking for them to drive away in it!