The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help: SATA drive master/slave?

Steviekid

I've just installed a third sata drive in my PC which isn't working. I got the usual "device successfully installed" at first start up with it in, and all three are coming up in device manager as working but the new one doesn't appear on the "computer" window which still thinks there's only two.

I've been into BIOS and the original two hard drive's are listed as MASTER but the new one as SLAVE. I was under the impression that master/slave didn't exist with sata drives? There's no option to change it in BIOS either and it makes no difference which sata port it's plugged in to.

Has anyone come across this before and know how to solve it?

Is this a brand new drive? you most likely need to initialise it and assign it a drive letter.

To do this go into contol panel, then Administrative tools, then computer management and finally select the disk management option.

Whatever version of windows you have the method is very similar if not the same. You will see the list of disks and the details of how they are formatted.

Select your disk in the list and you can view its structure.

Not having a fresh disk to hand I cant give you an absolute but you probably just need to right click and set partition as active, it will then give you details of the disk (leave it at the full size), initialise the disk and it will ask you to choose a drive letter.

BISH BOSH BASH!

Cool nice one, I think a lot of people get a new disk and chuck windows on straight away which does all the drive prep for you so most people dont notice.

Before I got deep into this IT game I had the same issue you were having with 2 new 120gb drives. I got round it by installing windows XP onto both drives (which in turn did the drive prep) and then formatterd them again in windows ;) ghetto