The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TV Licence

Matt H

What's the general feeling towards the place a TV licence has in today's diverse entertainment world?

The cost of a licence is about £145 a year.

Now back in the day, when the BBC was the only broadcaster, a TV Licence was obviously fair. You purchased your TV to watch the BBC broadcasts. But today, your TV serves as a function for various activities and some people might not even watch BBC channels.

My personal belief, is that a TV licence, in its current format, is outdated. You are made to pay for a service you may not even want.

This is not to say I believe that the BBC should go down the advertising route. There are various ways the BBC could be funded, but I do believe you should now have the choice.

Any views?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There is enough advertising on the BBC already (for other BBC services). I think the license fee is fair, we're by no means charged the most compared to other countries.

The BBC are now being forced to share a portion of the revenue with other channels too, rightly or wrongly.

My personal belief, is that a TV licence, in its current format, is outdated. You are made to pay for a service you may not even want.

It's a small price to pay to not have to watch ITV or CH4 all the time.

Or the endless rubbish on freeview.

I don't watch much TV at all, but the BBC tend to produce the best programmes.

There is enough advertising on the BBC already (for other BBC services). I think the license fee is fair, we're by no means charged the most compared to other countries.

Fair for all, or those who watch BBC chanels? What about people who don't really watch TV and perhaps just use their TV for gaming?

Ah, but the licence is to own the signal receiving equipment I believe, regardless of whether you use it to watch the Beeb.

What about people who don't really watch TV....

Legally, not really watching TV is the same as not really driving. You still need a licence for the one time you do.

Then they don't have to pay a TV license.

Umm, you may be right

I only use my TV for watching DVD's & occasionally playing games. I don't/won't pay for a TV license. On the remote chance there is something on I actually fancy watching, I'll use the internet catch-up service.

Good point

yes they have, i doesn't matter if you watch tv or not.

you still have to pay for license.

Just another way to get our money!

No I believe they have to prove that you are using the TV to receive live broadcast programming.

There are at least a couple of members on here I know don't have a TV license as they use their TV purely for pre-recorded content or gaming.

You don't need a licence to have a TV. You only need a licence if you receive TV signals IIRC. :)

EDIT: I think the confusion lies in the possibility that you could receive Freeview with it already installed into the TV you have, but proving you don't use it is more for the experts nazis. ;)

No you dont. You only need a license if you can receive channels as they are broadcast. I do not have an aerial on my TV, therefore cannot receive broadcasts. I do not need a license. I have had the TV license nazis at my house, they took one look at the back of the telly, saw no aerial, put a tick in a box on their form and walked out.

From the TV licensing site... "You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV."

Therefore if you are not watching or recording live content, you do not need a license.

This is from Wiki:

"When a TV licence is not required

digital box used with a hi-fi system or another device that can only be used to produce sounds[34]

television set installed and used solely for some purpose other than watching or recording television programmes (e.g. closed-circuit TV monitor, DVD or video player or games console)[36][37]

Watching BBC iPlayer when the program is not live [38].

The BBC have stated that a licence is not needed simply because a television receiver is owned[39].

A previously recorded TV programme is outside the scope of the Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004, because it is not "received at the same time (or virtually the same time) as it is received by members of the public"[33][40] (viewing such recordings however, if unauthorised, may infringe copyright).

According to Ofcom, TV transmissions over the internet are a grey area[41] which in future might make fees based on television ownership redundant. In 2005, a Green Paper by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport[17] included suggestions of "either a compulsory levy on all households or even on ownership of PCs as well as TVs"[42]. However, TV Licensing have since stated that use of any device (including a computer or mobile phone) receiving transmissions at or about the same time as they appear on TV requires a licence[34][40].

It used to be the case that televisions receiving a transmission from outside the UK (e.g. in Germany, Italy, Greece, Turkey and the Netherlands via the Astra satellite, on which many channels are free-to-air) did not need a licence, but this was changed by the Communications Act (2003), so that the reception of television from any source requires a TV licence"

the last letter from this guys was stating that if you have a:

TV

Mobile phone

Laptop

Gaming consoles

And a few more thinks I can’t remember now, you need a license.

Just ridiculous!!

You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder.

only if you use those items to watch programs as they are being broadcast

I would like to it scrapped and the BBC sorted out from an being an overweight monolith that squanders money like a drunken sailor while walking a line very politically left of middle. In fact I'd be happy to see the back of it all together. The news are dumbed down to the point of being insulting to anyone of average intelligence, the readers are scruffy, foreign and think it's a chat show, and the films they propagate are mainly US tosh that would bring a tear to the eye of the old Viewers and Listeners Association they so ridiculed before one of their staunchest critics saw sense and publicly changed her mind to support their views wholeheartedly.

Outraged of Shropshire.