The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Love the Beast

pistonbroke

The above documentary was just shown on more 4.

I have to say, it's one of the best car nut films I've ever seen. I thoroughly recommend you watch it.

No piece of of film I've ever seen captures the love for cars as well as this one, as sad as it sounds, I had a lump in my throat in places.

I'm confident every single member of this forum will be able to connect with every word that's said. It highlights perfectly the irrational bond you get with a machine.

I suggest you find out when it's next on and make a note in your diary.

In one part, a psychiatrist is explaining why people bond with cars on a personal level, and his quote is brilliant. I can't remember it word for word. But it's something like.

"Your car symbolises a thread of continuity in your life, it's a symbol of where you've been, where you are, and where you're going".

"Eric Bana's documentary, showing in the True Stories strand, tells of his love for the treasured 1974 Ford GT Falcon Coupe his father gave him - nicknamed The Beast.

The film follows Bana's participation in the epic five-day Targa Tasmania Rally. When he spectacularly wrecks the car during the race, Bana turns to Jeremy Clarkson and to talk show psychologist Dr Phil for advice and ends up trying to unravel the particular and lifelong love that men can feel for their cars.

It's a film for petrol heads and those intrigued by Bana's personality. And it also fits in a tour of Jay Leno's enormous vintage car collection."

Can't watch it on 4OD - darn!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Ditto the other posts really..

I got round to watchin it last night..

It woulda passed me buy, cheers pistonbroke!!

What a cracker...will be giving this to a few of my mates to watch, I to now have more tolerance of Eric Bana...he must be so pleased with his newly acquired fan base lol :)

• 2 months later...

I'd give my left nut for an Aussie XB or XC coupe.

I attempted to find and import one or two a couple of years ago with the intention of restoring one and selling it to fund the work I had in mind for the other.

Trouble is coupes are getting pretty rare out there as they were produced in relatively small numbers compared to the four doors and whats available is usually big bucks. Clean XB's can easily command $50,000, certain models, like the GT or the John Goss Special, $100,000+. XC's are the cheaper option as they never produced the fabled GT option in that production run but so few of them were produced as demand had all but dried up for the big Aussie 2 doors in the late 70's.

They had so many body shells left over after production ceased that Ford Australia took the surplus, threw every available option they had into them and branded the finished article the XC Cobra just to get rid of them.

Still, I think they'd be a far more practical classic to live with and enjoy on a regular basis than their American counterparts.

Enjoyable watch. It certainly made me think about my relationships with cars and how they've been responsible for some of the most frustrating times in my life, but also some of the most rewarding. I think it may have re-kindled a little love in me again, well for a V8 anyway;)