The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Goldeneye 007 (N64 Game) REMAKE for Wii!

Matt H

I couldn't believe it when I walked into Smiths on Sat and saw the front cover of a magazine I used to buy many, many moons ago.

One of the best games ever made, if not the best game ever made is being redeveloped for the Wii - Goldeneye 007 from the N64!!

Finally! I used to love this game so much, I've spoke about a remake with my mates for years; how good it would be for the game to be reproduced, but with better graphics and suitable gameplay 'modernisation' tweaks.

It all seemed too good to be true as I browsed the limited images then then the article - ‘keeping to the original game fundamentals’, ‘remaking the original levels’ etc...... until I read who the developer was - gutted to say the least. It’s a developer called Eurocom, responsible for the other bond travesties of the recent and distant past, such as Quantum of Solace 007 and Night Fire...:rolleyes:

I’ve had a look at their back catalogue and they have NOT made a decent game since the days of the SNES, and then I could only find two I thought were good. :(

There’s certainly big boots to fill and I doubt they will even scrap a side. I fear this will simply be a quick money spinner.

Wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoldenEye_007_(2010_video_game)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me and my mates wasted a LOT of time playing this. 4 player multiplayer bashes round house parties and a couple of us trying desperately to finish the game on 00 agent to get the extra levels and 007 mode. Ah the memories!

Will be a shame if it's given to some company to do that does a shoddy job however hats off to them if they manage to make a game that is at least as good or better than the original.

Has anyone played on the remake/port of Perfect Dark on Xbox 360? That was done really well and for a measily £5 it's the best money I think I have spent on a game! 60fps, retextured, remodeled, 8 player multiplayer, co-op, leaderboards etc.

Rareware certainly know how to do it so it's a shame they couldn't have done Goldeneye too!

I think I was at 6th form around the time it came out, mondays there were never any planned lessons but you still had to go in and register at the morning.

As soon as registration was over it was back to mine for 4 player goldies either with the golden gun setting (I think) for one shot one kill or messing about with the mines. A few years back someone did a mod for half-life on PC of goldeneye which was really good at the time but I think they had licensing troubles.

I don't think It will seem as good without the N64 controller

What about playing the original game, but using the Wii remote to point and shoot on screen? I think that's got potential!

Me and my mates wasted a LOT of time playing this. 4 player multiplayer bashes round house parties and a couple of us trying desperately to finish the game on 00 agent to get the extra levels and 007 mode. Ah the memories!

One particular memory I have with the multiplayer, was when I had a few mates around for a 4 player deathmatch - licence to kill rule :cool: I was sat on the carpet in my room, and a lad call Ste was sat near me but on my bed. I kept rinishing him in the library level with the RCP90 and got another kill. As soon as I did, he smacked me clean on the top of the head with the centre pointy grip of the N64 controller! I was like WTF ste! he got slightly annoyed at loosing! :D

Rareware certainly know how to do it so it's a shame they couldn't have done Goldeneye too!

I think rare 'used' have it. In the days of the SNES and N64 and even prior, Rare made the best computer games. And because Nintendo owned the big share, they only ever came out on Nintendo consoles. Their catalogue is full of some of my fondest 'gaming' memories (I used to be a right Nintendo fanboi when I was a kid! :D )

There was a stage when every time Rare announced a game that was going to be the next big release... until the end of the N64's life, we got the likes of Star Fox Adventures and Micky’s Raceway :rolleyes: - what happened to the best game developer around?!!?. I thought selling to Microsoft was such a big mistake, but they've made bugger all since the N64.

what I hated about that game was the addicts knew the resprawn points so it was cr*p if you were new to it and couldn't endure the learning curve of being killed every 10 secs.

Now doom 2 co-op or deathmatch I'm there. :eyebrows:

Also Matt they'd attempted remakes of goldeneye many times before and they have all failed.

It won't be half as good. Only Rare can do a remake.

Agreed, altough the original Rare development team i.e. David 'Dr' Doak and his team who basically left Rare to form Free Radical (timesplitters series).

I'm up for a Rare original crew one time reunion :D

Also Matt they'd attempted remakes of goldeneye many times before and they have all failed.

Eh? When, who? Surely I would have heard about it? I never heard of Goldeneye being reproduced and back on the shelves?

ok that was rogue agent. I still bet it'll be bad.

That Rogue Agent is another example of a rubbish bond game - trying to cash in on Rare's game. Goldeneye-Rogue Agent: nothing to do with the film, but everything to do with having on one golden eye!!! Scandalous! :D

I reckon it will be pants too, but only because of the morons that are producing it; their track record is hideous from 1997 onwards. They appear to be 'licence' money spinners now. I.e, make a game based on a new film :rolleyes: That obviously what will be going on here :angry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurocom

Just get a n64 for it. I have it with mario kart. It's brilliant :)

I still have my N64 with Goldeneye, but what we're talking about here is a potentially a revisit with better and smoother graphics (altough I doubt we'll get that :( )

Just get a n64 for it. I have it with mario kart. It's brilliant :)

Other issue with that is you end up keeping lots of old systems for that reason.

I still have my sega saturnS (1 jap, 1 uk but chipped).

3DO

Playstation

And in an ideal world I'd have a megadrive/snes and nes. But they just take up too much room! :(

Other issue with that is you end up keeping lots of old systems for that reason.

3DO

Playstation

And in an ideal world I'd have a megadrive/snes and nes. But they just take up too much room! :(

Or you could get a Wii and play all the games from those systems in their original glory via the Wii virtual arcade. The catalogue is unreal now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_(PAL_region)

I still have my N64 with Goldeneye, but what we're talking about here is a potentially a revisit with better and smoother graphics (altough I doubt we'll get that :( )

Goldeneye with better smoother graphics would be pants.

Just like i much prefer mariokart on the n64 than any of the other versions

I have my MegaDrive still, and a few Saturns and Dreamcasts. What Saturn games keep you hanging on, our of interest? A fellow SEGA Rally fan?

I have my MegaDrive still, and a few Saturns and Dreamcasts. What Saturn games keep you hanging on, our of interest? A fellow SEGA Rally fan?

Yeh course! Forgot I have 2-3 dreamcasts as well! :D

All the classics, x men vs streetfighter, marvel vs streetfighter, streetfighter zero 3/zero2/ collection, a lot of king of fighters series, saturn bomberman, panzer dragoon saga, shining force 3.

waaaaaaaay too many to list here here. I was big sega fan back in 1994-1998 when it dominated the arcade scene. ;)

Just like i much prefer mariokart on the n64 than any of the other versions

No way!! SNES Super Mario Kart was (and still is, imo!) the BEST version. There was an update for the GBA later on that was based on the same thing, which was also great though.

None of the 'next-gen' versions have cut it for me. The original just had the balance spot on, there was too much catch up logic applied in the later games which made it silly.