The mkiv Supra Owners Club

90's Cereal Figures (Toys)

monsween

Found these in a box in the loft.

Challenge/Question

Where did they come from and what were they called.

Set 1 (Frosties, no idea of name)

Set 2 (Monster in my Pocket)

Set 3 (Mini Boglins)

Hopefully this brings back some happy memories to you lot :p

Set 3 are mini Boglins IIRC, I recall some of the others too, I think I had the chap on the right in the first pic but suspect I ate him (or parts of him).

Some of these can be worth a fair bit, might be worth looking them up somewhere, there is bound to be a website dedicated to such things.

Oh..... And on the subject, did anyone else have this fella, he's a rubber hand puppet from ghostbusters- http://youworkit.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/IMG_5431.jpg :D

That's a full size Boglin, I didn't have one but I worked in a toy shop around the time of them being popular. They came in cardboard boxes with plastic "bars" on the front, there was a hole in the bottom of the box so you could operate them.

I remember getting breakfast cereal gifts that were sheets of "paper" you baked in the oven, they shrunk down to form a small solid plastic picture of something or other. Pretty crap really now I think about it, those lick 'em stick 'em tattoos were always more fun.

That's a full size Boglin, I didn't have one but I worked in a toy shop around the time of them being popular. They came in cardboard boxes with plastic "bars" on the front, there was a hole in the bottom of the box so you could operate them.

Yep I remember all of that! :D I also had a White one that was similar that glow in the dark, I also recall them having eyes that moved, little brackets came out the back that you slotted your fingers in to move the eyes separately :D oh the memories!

Oh..... And on the subject, did anyone else have this fella,

I had that very chap :) I made him piercings, wristbands and stuff out of thick copper wire and mounted him on top of the headlight on my motorbike :)

I remember getting breakfast cereal gifts that were sheets of "paper" you baked in the oven, they shrunk down to form a small solid plastic picture of something or other.

I remember those, too. Shrinky Dinkies! They were a mid-late 70's thing I think.

I found a box of 70's & 80's Kinder egg toys a while ago, they were much better than the ones you get now - things with cogs and stuff you actually had to build. You only seem to get crappy figures nowadays. Apparently.

The first set are Monsters in my Pocket too it seems. Taken from the wiki page for them:

Monster Wrestlers in My Pocket

The Monster Wrestlers in My Pocket debuted in United Kingdom in 1994, no longer produced by Matchbox, but by Corinthian Marketing. The first nine, including Tony the Tiger as a coach, were released in Kellogg's Frosties cereal. The numbering was restarted, the high point value was returned to 100, and the coaches and referees, save for the 100 point "Tony the Coach", were the first monsters designated with 0 points. Forty-five figures were released in total, with six variant figures released as premiums in a White Castle fast food promotion. Frosties also did a twelve monster series of Monster Sports Stars in My Pocket, including "Tony the Referee", which were made of much harder plastic and had no point values. Seventeen Monster Ninja Warriors in My Pocket were produced in 1996 by Vivid Imaginations, some of which came with vehicles and accessories. These also caught on with the Pog fad, in addition to being the first Monster in My Pocket figures with removable weapons. The figures that were not made by Matchbox were painted in full colors and came in only a few variations, rather than previously coming in multiple solid or tri-tone colors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_in_My_Pocket

I have 2 of these in my spare room in the boxes with the plastic bars and everything, how sad am i?

I was only saying to a chap at work today that you never get any pressies inside breakfast cereal anymore. In the 80s and 90s we used to buy them just for the toy

The lefties probably put an end to it due to the slight chance some brat would choke on it when munching their frosties :)

The lefties probably put an end to it due to the slight chance some brat would choke on it when munching their frosties :)

Yeah I remember maybe reading somewhere that you couldn't put anything in with cereal anymore, they'd have to put it at the bottom of the box between the plastic and cardboard.. Suppose kellogs etc just stopped it alltogether after that.