The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Time for Mansell to hang the gloves up!

JimC

I just got back from Le Mans early this morning. What an amazing event and achievement. To see those cars at full bore for 24 hours is simply breathtaking, especially when you see how they leave the 500hp 1100-1200kg GT1 and GT2 cars standing in their wake! The Peugeot 908 HDi FAP seemed to have it in the bag at 3am sunday morning when we were watching them flying through the virage corners with the diesel engines silently whisking along, and then came Audi, steadily 4 seconds a lap slower than the Pugs to pull it through. Unbelieveable:d

Unfortunately, Nigel Mansell blacked out after 15 laps after coming down the Mulsanne straight at approx 190mph. Apparently after speaking to a few pit guys he had to pulled out of the car exhausted after the friday night qualifying session where he drove for just one hour! He then decided he was ok to race on the saturday! Good old Nige battling on, but it must be time for him to call it a day. He just cant race like he used to, especially in such demanding conditions as an endurance race like Le Mans.

If you had the met the guy, this sort of stupity would not be a surprise.

To say he's an arrogant p#### would be kind

I met him, albeit very briefly, at the Renault World Series at Silverstone last year. I had a quick chat with him, arm round him for a photo, he signed my ticket and was generally very amiable and chatty.

Didn't come across as an arrogant p#### that day on that brief and chance encounter. How do you know him?

My mate was at Le Mans and he said the tyre blew out !!!!! Then the car hit the wall.

Yeah and I read the same thing on the journey back yesterday so wasn't totally convinced of the truth in this black out story. However, we happened to see and fortunately speak with Derek Bell on the ferry (5 time Le Mans winner) and he was told the same story that Mansell blacked out......:search:

I met him, albeit very briefly, at the Renault World Series at Silverstone last year. I had a quick chat with him, arm round him for a photo, he signed my ticket and was generally very amiable and chatty.

Didn't come across as an arrogant p#### that day on that brief and chance encounter. How do you know him?

Used to play golf at his golf club, lots of stories about him, some of which I saw or was involved in

Yeah and I read the same thing on the journey back yesterday so wasn't totally convinced of the truth in this black out story. However, we happened to see and fortunately speak with Derek Bell on the ferry (5 time Le Mans winner) and he was told the same story that Mansell blacked out......:search:

The car telemetry showed he had a puncture on lap 2 and blow out approaching the chicane. i still think he is an awesome driver and not finished just yet!!!;)

I just got back from Le Mans early this morning. What an amazing event and achievement. To see those cars at full bore for 24 hours is simply breathtaking, especially when you see how they leave the 500hp 1100-1200kg GT1 and GT2 cars standing in their wake! The Peugeot 908 HDi FAP seemed to have it in the bag at 3am sunday morning when we were watching them flying through the virage corners with the diesel engines silently whisking along, and then came Audi, steadily 4 seconds a lap slower than the Pugs to pull it through. Unbelieveable:d

Unfortunately, Nigel Mansell blacked out after 15 laps after coming down the Mulsanne straight at approx 190mph. Apparently after speaking to a few pit guys he had to pulled out of the car exhausted after the friday night qualifying session where he drove for just one hour! He then decided he was ok to race on the saturday! Good old Nige battling on, but it must be time for him to call it a day. He just cant race like he used to, especially in such demanding conditions as an endurance race like Le Mans.

Which corners were those then? (Virage = 'Curve/bend' in French - perhaps you meant Virage Porsche where they get up to this sort of speed on the entry to the corners?)

I think you'll find Nige retired after 15 mins. (Even 15 laps was being kind to him!) I guess the black-out story could be because he may have blacked out on impact with the barrier?

Which corners were those then? (Virage = 'Curve/bend' in French - perhaps you meant Virage Porsche where they get up to this sort of speed on the entry to the corners?)

I think you'll find Nige retired after 15 mins. (Even 15 laps was being kind to him!) I guess the black-out story could be because he may have blacked out on impact with the barrier?

I stand corrected.

Yup, it was Virage Porsche.

Typo on the laps...15 mins is correct.

I dont know for sure whether he blacked out or not, it was just what I heard from a few sources around the track.