The mkiv Supra Owners Club

oil!!!

Guest damo1

Guest damo1

i know this is a strange thread but does anyone ever think what this world will be like when all the earths oil runs out? i mean just take a minute to think what we us humans use from oil and how bad this planet is with us consuming it at a high rate..

from pens to planes when its gone you can say good bye to your supra, planes any thing that runs from petrol, diesel or parafin....

Never think for a moment that oil companies are going to just let it run out then say "Well hey guys, it was fun but lets go home now."

There is lots, and I mean lots of oil left in the planet, particularly under the Antarctic. The greenies will play up, like they do now, but when it comes to it, we'll be having that out of there. Oil companies are, and will be delivering any new power solutions, whether that is Hydrogen based or whatever else they might be working on.

Our entire infrastructure (and taxation) is built around road transport and personal vehicles. Anyone that thinks we're all going to be scooting about in large hover-buses or "tube technology" (to quote the D) is an idealistic dreamer.

Don't focus on fuel. Plastics are from oil as well. I personally find the idea of running out of that even scarier.

Absolutely. Fuel for transport has alternatives of varying degrees of viability. I'm not sure we have that luxury in oil used in manufacturing.

Guest damo1

i read that we only have enough oil for another 50years or so now that is scary i will be 80years old by then..

but we will run out 1 day, that a fact and its scary cars need fuel planes need fuel for thrust, just look arounf you home and most things are made from oil, even down to your pc, or laptop your typing on now...

so if i was you do like what they did in the movie demolition man and make you car a museum... as one day we will miss driving our high bhp cars lol,

i remember when i was a student a college and ford donated a v6 ghia zetec mondeo and we took out the engine and transplanted a electric generator. our tutor at the time said that 1day this will be the future now i actually beleive him..

now am i just getting worked up or an i turning green?

Never think for a moment that oil companies are going to just let it run out then say "Well hey guys, it was fun but lets go home now."

There is lots, and I mean lots of oil left in the planet, particularly under the Antarctic. The greenies will play up, like they do now, but when it comes to it, we'll be having that out of there. Oil companies are, and will be delivering any new power solutions, whether that is Hydrogen based or whatever else they might be working on.

Our entire infrastructure (and taxation) is built around road transport and personal vehicles. Anyone that thinks we're all going to be scooting about in large hover-buses or "tube technology" (to quote the D) is an idealistic dreamer.

:yeahthat:

It's not the running out of oil but the energy required to extract it once you use more energy to extract the oil than it can produce it is pointless.

It's the everyday things like plastic and clothing that are the problem, there are as yet no substitutes, not in the required amount to satisfy demand, which is growing exponentially.

80% of the things in your house are oil derived.

If say all clothing were made of wool, there is insufficient land mass fertile enough to grow grass to feed sheep to provide the wool to keep pace with population growth.

Likewise wood, cotton,etc

world consumption of just about everything is growing exponentially,but oil is the biggie

New Energy will probably be the answer in some form or another

Even hydrogen cells need things like Platinum and palladium and there is no endless supply of these.

it wont be in our life time i promise you that..!

If the sub continent of India, China,and Africa all start to use western levels of calories and follow the same exponential growth then ,it is highly likely that we will run out very very quickly- 1 million turns quickly to 1 Billion ,which in turn quickly turns to 1 trillion ,which......you get the picture

If the sub continent of India, China,and Africa all start to use western levels of calories and follow the same exponential growth then ,it is highly likely that we will run out very very quickly- 1 million turns quickly to 1 Billion ,which in turn quickly turns to 1 trillion ,which......you get the picture

Soooooo basically we need to keep third world countries poor.

Don't forget the "empty" wells are constantly filling up again. The natural process doesn't stop. Research into the levels coming up again was kept quiet but it did slip out a few years ago that scientists etc were surprised how fast the wells were replenishing.

Not saying we wouldn't use it up faster than it could fill up but....

As Ian says though, where would we be without plastic? :(

Don't forget the "empty" wells are constantly filling up again. The natural process doesn't stop. Research into the levels coming up again was kept quiet but it did slip out a few years ago that scientists etc were surprised how fast the wells were replenishing.

Not saying we wouldn't use it up faster than it could fill up but....

As Ian says though, where would we be without plastic? :(

How are they replenishing? I thought oil was millions of years of dead sea creatures, not just a sea water filtration system?